What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aviation Flaring Tool

GeneralT001

There seems to be a lot of different style flaring tools available. I've been looking on Aircraft Spruce. What is the preferred tool to use? What style of flaring tool?

I think

I think most guys use the Rolo Flare to get the typical single flare.

I chose to use a double flare tool as specified in AC-43-13 for soft aluminum tubing, 5052 in my case...

I think most guys use the Rolo Flare to get the typical single flare.

I chose to use a double flare tool as specified in AC-43-13 for soft aluminum tubing, 5052 in my case...

Can you provide a link so I can have a look at it?

What is the difference between a "normal" flaring tool and a "Double" flaring tool?

I used…

I used a Mastercool double flare tool. Make sure to look at the 37 degree model.

Check it out. There are diagrams of how it works. Basically, it compresses the length of the tube and then folds it in on itself. Very robust flare and little worry about over flaring and getting a crack.

Works great!

Double flaring is nice but for low pressure stuff maybe a bit of overkill.
This is the kit I use, makes perfect flares every time.
Imperial 400F

12-01579a.jpg

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/400fsteelflaringtool.php

Last edited:
Less expensive option

If you don’t want to pay for the professional grade tool that Walt uses, there are other very good options that Spruce carries.

Many people use the Rolo flair tool, which I used for quite a bit of my build. Later, I switched to the ATS 2 piece tool which, in my opinion, is easier to use. These both cost about $125.

If you don’t want to pay for the professional grade tool that Walt uses, there are other very good options that Spruce carries.

Many people use the Rolo flair tool, which I used for quite a bit of my build. Later, I switched to the ATS 2 piece tool which, in my opinion, is easier to use. These both cost about $125.

I see the ATS....but not an ATS 2...can you provide a link for it?

Thanks

I see the ATS....but not an ATS 2...can you provide a link for it?

Thanks

The ATS is the one I was talking about. What I meant was ATS 2-piece ( not ATS-2). The ATS is 2 separate pieces- the clamping block and the flairing yoke.

Back