What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator Plane Power Hartzell 99-1012

jimkwalton

Less than 200 hours on my IO-390, my alternator is kaput. The pulley wobbles in the case of the alternator. $730 at Spruce. $650 at another supplier. Any suggestions?

Less than 200 hours on my IO-390, my alternator is kaput. The pulley wobbles in the case of the alternator. $730 at Spruce. $650 at another supplier. Any suggestions?

Buy a B&C alternator, way more reliable. They are more expensive and more work to install due to their external regulator, but they will likely never give you any problems and are worth the extra time/money.

^^^^ Yes, bite the bullet and install a B&C alternator, LR-3 regulator and one of their starters... and forget about those accessories.

+ 1 for B & C

My PP failed after about 100 hours on my RV-9A.
Next door hangar neighbor after around 150 hours.

Rebuilt PP alternators with new diode packs and regulators.
Sold and replaced with B & C.

No contest. B & C wins hands down for me.

While the B&C is being shipped.

Be sure to register the failure with Vans, we want them to have first hand knowledge of failures. Then, contact Hartzell for a warranty replacement. They need to feel the pain. No pain-no-change.

Don't buy another PP. MANY reports similar to yours on this site.

Mine just crapped out at 400 hrs. Blast tube installed from day 1.

Last edited:
I have a friend with a PP OEM version before Hartzell purchased Plane Power. Replaces diodes, regulators several times over past 700 hours /3 years. Seems to be a unreliable product to me. I have a B&C 1148 hours/ 30 years from a 35 year old company! Seems to me they had it “right” from the get go. Like others said, I’d fix it and sell it and get a B&C .

I have a friend with a PP OEM version before Hartzell purchased Plane Power. Replaces diodes, regulators several times over past 700 hours /3 years. Seems to be a unreliable product to me. I have a B&C 1148 hours/ 30 years from a 35 year old company! Seems to me they had it “right” from the get go. Like others said, I’d fix it and sell it and get a B&C .

Perhaps it's not the alternator, but how/where it's installed; e.g. No cooling air, Higher-than acceptable vibration, Incorrect belt tension, Pulley/Belt angle <> 0°, Pulley ratio incorrect -> too high RPM.

Parts source for rebuild

I just replaced my PP alt on my 10. I’d like to rebuild the old one to have as a backup. Does anyone have a source and parts number for a rebuild kit?

Thanks!

Last edited:
My PP went out at about 300 hours. Replaced and installed a blast tube.

I talked to Hartzell about my experience at Oshkosh this summer and they confirmed that they will not rebuild a PP alternator. Replace at full price is only option unless still under warranty.

They did say that they have talked with Van's many times and have asked Van's to add a blast tube installation in their plans. To their knowledge Van's has not done this and said any installation without a blast tube will likely fail as the heat build up in the tight cowling installation will cause a failure.

150 hours since the blast tube installation on my new PP alternator and so far so good. We will see.

I have 450 hours on my B&C alternator mounted on the vacuum pump pad. I installed it with a blast tube per the B&C documentation.

My PP went out at about 300 hours. Replaced and installed a blast tube.

I talked to Hartzell about my experience at Oshkosh this summer and they confirmed that they will not rebuild a PP alternator. Replace at full price is only option unless still under warranty.

They did say that they have talked with Van's many times and have asked Van's to add a blast tube installation in their plans. To their knowledge Van's has not done this and said any installation without a blast tube will likely fail as the heat build up in the tight cowling installation will cause a failure.

150 hours since the blast tube installation on my new PP alternator and so far so good. We will see.

I have 450 hours on my B&C alternator mounted on the vacuum pump pad. I installed it with a blast tube per the B&C documentation.

Can you post some pics of your blast tube set ups?

My (Hartzell/PP) documentation for the PP EI60 alternator states the blast tube is NOT necessary.

My (Hartzell/PP) documentation for the PP EI60 alternator states the blast tube is NOT necessary.

Just reporting what he told me. Not sure if he meant the issue was specific to Van's cowling installations.

Also checked my PP documentation for both the old and the new alternator. Neither mentions a blast tube but neither one says it's unnecessary. Also checked the current PP documentation on line at Hartzell. It's the same as what I received.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 3.56.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 3.56.16 PM.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Back