Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2021, 04:57 PM

My system is complete and I had it installed in my RV8 but due to an injury I never got the chance to test it before I had to sell that plane. Yesterday I finally got my new to me replacement plane in the hangar so my OnSpeed installation begins this weekend with the AOA pitot tube.

I hope to be flying OnSpeed very shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95FE2F96-F205-4133-BE14-86160D55B8AC.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	13436  
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:25 AM

Default What LOTS of energy sounds like

https://youtu.be/lM_ZtAFKlpI
Even the 104 was flown with an AOA indicator
Old 07-09-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larosta View Post
Is anyone in the RV community other than Vac actually using the FlyOnSpeed in their aircraft?

If so what do you think about the experience?

-larosta
I am, see post #4 of this thread.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:49 AM

Default What "Bleeding Energy" Sounds Like

If there is more drag than thrust, the airplane is going down/slowing down (or both). One expression for this is "mushing" or we say we are "on the back side of the power curve." Fighter pilots have an expression for this that I like better: "bleeding energy." Intuitively obvious that bleeding energy probably isn't a desirable state.

We use this diagram to show folks how we can integrate an energy cue using an AOA system:

We use the tone to cut the power required curve in half. If you are ONSPEED, thrust and drag are balanced; but if you hear slow tone, there is more drag than thrust unless you do something. What makes the logic so simple is slow tone = energy bleed. RV's give limited aerodynamic stall cues at 1G (i.e., not a lot of buffet, stick force lightening, etc. prior to the break). This means the airplane can feel solid, but you are actually bleeding energy (and getting closer to the aerodynamic limit), perhaps without realizing it.

Here's a classic example of a square corner after a low, slow final overshoot. Hard to miss the energy state with the slow tone barking at you:

https://youtu.be/Usu2aPhJeJ0

The F-104 a few posts back would get the same tone on the top of his 10K' loop if the pilot pulled too hard on the stick. What's neat about these cues is because they are based on AOA, they work at any G-load in any attitude--no cockpit math. Slow tone = energy bleed. Caveman simple.

We call the graphic a "push/pull" diagram, since that's what the tone tells you to do with the stick and power controls.

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 07-11-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:53 PM

Default OnSpeed System in my RV8

I've been flying with our OnSpeed system in my RV8 for about 5 months (my RV8 first flew in Dec20). Works as advertised. Since I'm also part of the FlyOnSpeed team I understand AOA and the inner workings of our system. Its amazing how quickly you get comfortable with the tone and use it for all maneuvering phases of flight. The pictures below include the little M5 AOA indicator display on my dash which I do use a lot both as a quick visual backup to the tone as well as part of my outside visual scan. The OnSpeed systems the pilot can see are circled in red. I have our Gen2v3 system installed inside the dash ontop of the GNS430W and plumbed into the Pitot system shared with the MGL EFIS and G5 systems. The Black control Knob has an internal LED the "slowly breaths" to indicate normal AOA System operation, rotating the knob adjusts AOA audio volume, pushing the knob can either disable the AOA Audio or also put a data mark in the systems continuously recorded data file (downloaded via wifi post flight when desired). System is integrated into the MGL Efis to provide RV8 Flap Position. Overview of system integration is shown in picture 3. I use a simple 1 Amp CB to support system power. Since my GMA240 won't let me disable Stereo Audio Blanking caused by Radio Traffic I have my OnSpeed AOA audio coming through an Aux Input so its Mono audio only (OnSpeed provides Stereo Audio to help coordinate turns). Otherwise its fully integrated into the plane. System airborne calibration was straight forward using my iPhone and the OnSpeed Web Based calibration page via its Internal Wifi (same Web page is used on the ground for recorded data download).

Tron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV8_OnSpeedPic.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	13595  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5880.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	13596  Click image for larger version

Name:	EFIS_Gen2_v3 Pitot_System_Connections_Jul2021.png
Views:	74
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	13597  
Member, FlyOnSpeed Team
Sling 4 TSI 80% Complete
2021 Dues Paid, Home Field 18FD

Last edited by hpmicrowave : 07-13-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmicrowave View Post
I've been flying with our OnSpeed system in my RV8 for about 5 months (my RV8 first flew in Dec20). Works as advertised. Since I'm also part of the FlyOnSpeed team I understand AOA and the inner workings of our system. Its amazing how quickly you get comfortable with the tone and use it for all maneuvering phases of flight. The pictures below include the little M5 AOA indicator display on my dash which I do use a lot both as a quick visual backup to the tone as well as part of my outside visual scan. The OnSpeed systems the pilot can see are circled in red. I have our Gen2v3 system installed inside the dash ontop of the GNS430W and plumbed into the Pitot system shared with the MGL EFIS and G5 systems. The Black control Knob has an internal slowly flashing Red Led that indicates normal AOA System operation, rotating the knob adjusts AOA audio volume, pushing the knob can either disable the AOA Audio or also put a data mark in the systems continuously recorded data file (downloaded via wifi post flight when desired). System is integrated into the MGL Efis to provide RV8 Flap Position. Overview of system integration is shown in picture 3. I use a simple 1 Amp CB to support system power. Since my GMA240 won't let me disable Stereo Audio Blanking caused by Radio Traffic I have my OnSpeed AOA audio coming through an Aux Input so its Mono audio only (OnSpeed provides Stereo Audio to help coordinate turns). Otherwise its fully integrated into the plane. System airborne calibration was straight forward using my iPhone and the OnSpeed Web Based calibration page via its Internal Wifi (same Web page is used on the ground for recorded data download).

Tron
What's the 44 in the top part of the AOA display?
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larosta View Post
Is anyone in the RV community other than Vac actually using the FlyOnSpeed in their aircraft?

If so what do you think about the experience?

-larosta
I have been flying with a Gen2 box in my RV-10 since about September of 2018. But I'm biased as I'm part of the development team.

I'll offer another, not often talked about benefit though, transitioning to another aircraft with different flying characteristics.

A while ago I bought a Zlín Z-50LS, single seat, blind as a bat tailwheel, 9G, all metal, 1300lbs, 300hp beast, with aileron spades. I was planning on flying it off our 2000ft grass trip with trees on both ends. Before I flew the Z I got a few hours in an Extra300L to get familiar with the sensitive controls. I flew it over to our strip to try and see how that landing is. My instructor got spooked on the first approach. We never landed.

I decided to take off with the Z on our runway, and fly it over to a nearby 6,000ft grass runway and keep it there for a few flights until I got used to it.
Of course I had a Gen2v3 Onspeed system installed in it.

Used my first flight to fly some stalls and 4 trimshots for calibration then once the adrenaline wore off, with the help of the maestro (Vac), we created a calibration curve from that data.

The next flight I had a functioning Onspeed system. No surprise, I was right at home in the airplane when the tone came alive. It's burned into my mind from the RV-10 (it doesn't take long).
Flew to my home field, and did a bunch of approaches just skimming the runway, and after a few I was comfortable enough to land my new beast on the short runway. It worked out well.

I think the system offers huge help in transitioning between airplanes, especially dissimilar ones. The Z is so blind at a high angle of attack, I have to look outside using peripheral vision only, there's just no time to keep glued to the airspeed indicator. The tones keep angle of attack in check while looking out for trees, sand cranes (big birds) and whatever else can show up on a grass field.

Lenny
OnSpeed development team
Old 07-13-2021, 02:35 PM

Default OnSpeed System in my RV8

Our total thanks to Vern for developing the M5 EM display as part of our OnSpeed team. We call the number 44 % lift and its goes from 0 to 99, it's used to indicate what the tone should be and where the M5 EM Display Visual AOA indicator and Color Bars should be. Details on the %lift numbers progression with tone and M5 indications is shown below.

TRON
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AOA_Display Parameters_Update_Jul21.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	13619  
Member, FlyOnSpeed Team
Sling 4 TSI 80% Complete
2021 Dues Paid, Home Field 18FD

Last edited by hpmicrowave : 07-13-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:08 PM

Default Anyone running OnSpeed system with Garmin G3X?

Working on a new G3X panel for my RV-7A & would like to incorporate the OnSpeed system. Wondering if anyone has done this & has any tips to share.

I'll be using the GMA 245 audio panel. Does anyone know if allows stereo inputs that are not muted by incoming radio traffic?

I bought most or all of the electronic components for the OnSpeed unit a while back, and just need to break out the soldering iron & source the remaining hard-to-find plumbing bits.

I also have some extra circuit boards if anyone needs one.

Thanks!
David
AFP Fuel Injection & Dual SDS CPI-2 ignition
KLZU - Lawrenceville, GA
2021 Dues Paid
Old 07-19-2021, 09:32 PM

Rob Prior shot this (raw) video of the huVVer-AVI flight instruments mounted on the back seat panel, plus the one on the glareshield of my Harmon Rocket. It shows the OnSpeed energy display in action, albeit in an uncalibrated system. I used the default RV-4 calibration, which may be close.

The takeaway on this (other than I stuck the landing) is that one in the front and one in the back would make a great training platform. Note: there is no useful audio in this video.

It's a slow load, so we will replace it with a compressed version soon. If it doesn't load at all, we'll work harder to get it updated.

Cheers, Vern

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...1qUFhpRDZkYkNB
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 07-19-2021 at 09:45 PM.