What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Build assembly lube

Majorpayne317641

Well Known Member
I am reading the Lycoming service instruction 1059E that states I must use a choice of 3 grease type lubes to apply to the cam and other parts. Then a mixture of STP and mineral oil for the bearings and the rest. I tried to find Lubri-bond, MOLYTEX EP 0, and the Castrol Contractors special ngli #1. The only one I tracked down was a drum of the contractors special for $800. Does anyone know where to get this stuff and not in a spray can for the Lubri-bond? I usually use engine assembly lube for car engines. What’s with the crazy choices they gave? It’s like the tested with the most unique products out there.

My engine builder/IA mentor used Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer as his assembly lube for everything, Lycoming and Continental. Unless you're planning long term storage I can't imagine why it would matter. It's all going to be flushed by engine oil after startup.

You might call some parts vendors, they might have it. Also, might call an engine shop like Aerosport power. When they rebuilt for me I seem to recall they used Lubri-plate for just about everything. I think the cam is an exception though.

I use the Permatex assembly lube on every recip engine I build (car, motorcycle, aviation, go cart, etc). Available at the corner auto parts store

I use the Permatex assembly lube on every recip engine I build (car, motorcycle, aviation, go cart, etc). Available at the corner auto parts store

That’s what I use and I was thinking the same thing. I was just trying to keep it by the book. It drives me crazy to know the engineers at Lycoming didn’t bother to select that product as a test case and service instruction write up. It just seems like gold plating when I read the products they selected.

Back