What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Gear Installation

jcensner

Building an RV-8 (QB fuselage) and am installing a Grove landing gear. Everything has been drilled, reamed, plumbed and set aside until final installation. That time has arrived...Presently the brain is filtering too many possibilities regarding suitable location of the routing hole and combination of brake line fittings leading to the hole in the top rear of the gear leg.

Any help, suggestions, pictures, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Happy 20

The very best advice I can provide is to do what I did not do: Deviate from the plans by REVERSING the fuel vent line and the brake line routing out the bottom of the fuselage. Because of the location of the threaded ports cut into the Grove gear, it will make plumbing MUCH easier to accomplish.

Gear Installation

After looking at this about fifty ways, I ended up putting a right angle fitting on the gear inside its box, and angling it up. I then cut a hole big enough to allow the -4 fitting to come through, down from the gear box. I bent that tubing to size. I then tightened it down just as I placed the gear for the last time. Bolted up the gear. It will be difficult but not impossible to reach if there is a leak. I am mostly hoping it won't leak.

If this doesn't make sense, I might be able to figure out how to photgraph it. Someone else here did the same thing. I copied them. There are photos here on VAF.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing

Thanks everyone- for the rapid and informative responses. My ideas weren't far off, but I have a tendency to over engineer, so the info all of you sent will help keep me pointed down range.

Thanks again, Happy20

Can I refresh this thread and hope someone has photos of this? Right at this point in the construction. Looking for photos (I know I've seen them, but couldn't find them now) of the serpentine path the brake like takes from the fuselage to the upper fitting on the gear leg?

Okay, yeah.

One of the joys of working on a project is running into extra-curricular things the previous owner did. As I look up into the Left Gear well, I actually see three holes, not the two the plans call for. Photo attached. A. is intended for the brake line. B. has the fuel vent line installed, however I believe C. is the intended exit for the fuel vent, based on the cover. So B. is extra? Interesting.

You used the standard brake line hold (A.) directly into the brake port on the Grove leg. I believe I've seen other installations which used the fuel vent line hole on the forward side of the Grove leg (B. or C. in my case, and I believe the B. is non-standard) and wrapped the brake line around the inner end of the Grove leg to get to the Brake port.

1. Is it possible to wrap a brake line around the inner mounting bracket for the gear?
2. Did you consider leading the brake line inboard from it's exit (A.) so as to have more room for a larger radius back around to the brake port on the Grove leg?

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 109
Clay, you 'can' use a rigid tube as a cross over. Advise: Eat lunch first because its not easy. The 90* AN fitting on the gear leg points toward the tip of the gear, not straight because the nose of the gear leg is tapered. Easier to change the straight bulkhead fitting in the floor to a 90* and do like Dan Horton did. There are several offsets in the tube!!

We swap the vent line hole and the brake line hole, open up and elongate the floor hole so the hose through the gear tower and pass through and turn 90* to the fitting in the gear leg. Alittle out of the box, but saves a BUNCH of aggravation and tubing. LOL---but its good practice for bending and flaring!

Tom

Attachments

• Dan Horton Grove Gundrilled Upper Brake Line.jpg
    Dan Horton Grove Gundrilled Upper Brake Line.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 106
Added an extra bulkhead fitting and kept the brake line connecting to the Grove gear short and without a crossover. Used a 90 degree steel fitting on the top and bottom of the gear.

Attachments

• B5557ED2-45F1-43D7-ACF1-97798F1F5400.jpeg
    B5557ED2-45F1-43D7-ACF1-97798F1F5400.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 4D497A3B-0973-4EF5-A4EB-8B1412A0A0F3.jpeg
    4D497A3B-0973-4EF5-A4EB-8B1412A0A0F3.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 98
At first blush, it seems cleaner and easier to do a crossover so that there is only one fitting per side and access seems easier for future maintenance. While I ponder various routing strategies, why the switch to steel fittings? Aluminum tubing, aluminum gear leg, but steel elbows?

why the switch to steel fittings? Aluminum tubing, aluminum gear leg, but steel elbows?

That's what Grove recommended when installed.
The only thing I can think of is the possibility of that 90 deg fitting cracking when the gear flexes hence using a stronger steel fitting. Same with the brake line flex on the bottom side even though I used a VA119 steel braided hose instead of solid aluminum tubing.

One thing for certain, hoisting those nice legs in and out and in and out to fit things around them will get old. So, a wooden mock up...

It looks to me as though the crossover school has the advantage here. More room with only one fitting per side and fewer obstacles in the way of future work. There looks to be about 1/2" clearance between the gear leg and the cover plate if the tubing goes adjacent to the inner mounting bracket. Neither side has to make a drastic bend. Now to see if moving the brake line internally to the other side of the gear tower causes other unforeseen issues.

Attachments

• Wooden gear leg.jpg
    Wooden gear leg.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 99
Same as Tom, worked well! Beringer wheels and brakes, another story!
Rod

Attachments

• wp-image-996705900jpg.jpg
    wp-image-996705900jpg.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 142
We swap the vent line hole and the brake line hole, open up and elongate the floor hole so the hose through the gear tower and pass through and turn 90* to the fitting in the gear leg. Alittle out of the box, but saves a BUNCH of aggravation and tubing. LOL---but it’s good practice for bending and flaring!

Tom

I bought the TSF hose. How bout a picture please of an install using the hose.

Anyone just put a new brake line hole in line with gear fitting. Then put grommet(no bulkhead fitting) with a hardline bend for any gear flex up inside the lg tower. Less fittings and direct connection. Venting stays on fwd side.
I haven’t got to the install point but getting close enough to watch others.

I’m thinking the gear fitting facing floor with hardline fitting might not fit without a larger than what I want hole in the floor. Anyone try this?

Last edited:
Yes John---we just elongate the hole so the hose can make a natural curve to connect to the gear leg fitting. Seal with a grommet. Saves a bunch of work and frustration.
Tom

Running my lines before I close up too much. Testing the brakes thru predrilled hole. Seems to be able to work with bend going underneath and into grove gear fitting. Yet to finalize as I’ll roll fuse and put gear on and make sure I’m good with fitment.

Attachments

• IMG_6549.jpeg
    IMG_6549.jpeg
    692.8 KB · Views: 30
Running my lines before I close up too much. Testing the brakes thru predrilled hole. Seems to be able to work with bend going underneath and into grove gear fitting. Yet to finalize as I’ll roll fuse and put gear on and make sure I’m good with fitment.

Jon, you might consider running that line through a grommet, or installing a bulkhead fitting.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2074 Jan. 05 18.28.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2074 Jan. 05 18.28.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 24
Jon, you might consider running that line through a grommet, or installing a bulkhead fitting.

Yes sir, I’ve got a grommet installed now. I wanted a bulkhead fitting but as others will attest, not enough room for bulkhead fitting to gear fitting for a hard line. I’m mulling it over.

But it seems better than I had anticipated. Definitely an area I’ll watch for wear for the future CI.

Hello
I have changed for Groove gear in 2011, flown 450 hrs, no issues except assy has a bit slipped away 5mm to the left, due to design of attachments. Left brake line union touches outer side of floor hole, but never moved from this date

This is the same line I ran from previous pic that comes through floor and rolls around to connect to grove gear connector. It seems to fit nicely with grommet.
IMG_6618.jpeg

Back