What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Navigators with Dynon Skyview Systems

Northernliving

Well Known Member
I?m considering a panel upgrade in my -8. I?ll be adding a second 7in Skyview to my current 10in SVT as a backup EFIS and I would also like to add a second radio to my existing Dynon Radio and certified GPS navigator. I?m leaning towards the Garmin GNC 355 with its integrated radio/WAAS gps, but I really can?t find any good information on interoperability with Skyview using their ARIN C429 and any GPS navigators. Dynon seems to push Avidyne over and over again without any substance on differentiating features. I can?t find any info on a formal partnership or equity sake that either has with one another, so the push seems odd. Perhaps it?s because they aren?t view as a direct competitor like Garmin.

Can anyone comment on pros/cons of any particular Com/GPS or Nav/Com/GPS brand with regard interoperability with Dynon?s Skyview systems?

Buttons

I went with the Avidyne IFD440....and integration with the Dynon ARINC 429 was a non-issue...it just works.

I chose the Avidyne because it has buttons....so it works in bumpy skies.

Both Avidyne and Garmin have near identical functionality....biggest difference is usability in the sky.

Cheers,
Ackselle

I recently had to make a decision on which navigator to get/plan for. If you do a search for Avidynes IFD-440 vs Garmins offerings the resounding preference was for Avidyne. Plus you will get your comm in it too. It is also wired exactly like the older Garmin GNS-430 which Dynon has an exact interconnect to the Arinc-429 in the manual for.

The SkyView ARINC will work just fine with Garmin or Avidyne TSO GPS navigators.

Now on my second RV running dual SkyView EFIS and a GTN-650. Comm #2 is the Dynon radio (I do not recommend the Garmin stand alone radio). I went with the GTN-650 as it was the least bad of the TSO GPS navigator options for IFR. I would assume the new Garmin overpriced boxes would be fine as well.

I had a couple of long chats with a lead avionics provider on going with Avidyne on the new plane. In the end the GTN-650 got the nod, but not by much and I?m sure others would have the opposite view.

Carl

Thanks to all for your input. This is very helpful. Appears that both Garmin and Avidyne will work fine. The Garmin GNC 355 is a Comm/GPS and lists for $6,995. I really like the integration of buttons and touch in the Avidyne IFD440. It lists for $12,667 and that would give me a Com/Nav/GPS, but I’m not 100% sure I can fit that in my panel. Will check that with my panel cutter. It doesn’t look like Avidyne has anything comparable to the GNC 355 or in the 2in form factor. Am I missing something? The IDF440 looks more comparable to the Garmin 6xx in form factor. Will the ARINC 429 permit the sharing of flight plans back and forth between Dynon and the certified nav radio (Garmin or Avidyne)?

Brian

Just added a GNC355 and an XP360 remote audio panel to my Dual AFS 5600T setup. I had Rob at AFS make up the harnesses. The setup is fully coupled with my system, and works terrific.

... SNIP Will the ARINC 429 permit the sharing of flight plans back and forth between Dynon and the certified nav radio (Garmin or Avidyne)?

Brian

Garmin has a lock on their system to other vendors. Not sure about Avidyne. The GTN-650 flight plan goes to the SkyView via the ARINC but not from the SkyView to the GTN-650.

I typically just fat finger the flight plan into the GTN-650. It shows up on the SkyView. I do push the flight plan from the iPad running ForeFlight to the SkyView via WiFi, so it is there for the backup if the GTN-650 fails.

Considering even my longest cross country flight typically have less than six waypoints, manually inputting it into the GTN-650 is trivial.

Carl

The SkyView ARINC will work just fine with Garmin or Avidyne TSO GPS navigators.

Now on my second RV running dual SkyView EFIS and a GTN-650. Comm #2 is the Dynon radio (I do not recommend the Garmin stand alone radio). I went with the GTN-650 as it was the least bad of the TSO GPS navigator options for IFR. I would assume the new Garmin overpriced boxes would be fine as well.

I had a couple of long chats with a lead avionics provider on going with Avidyne on the new plane. In the end the GTN-650 got the nod, but not by much and I?m sure others would have the opposite view.

Carl

Carl which stand-alone Garmin do you not recommend?

The settings for the 430W and 650 are in the install manual, and I will have the 175, 355, and 375 setting within the next 10 days if interested.

Brian

I'd be very interested in the 175 info when you have it; I'm planning on a 175 to go with my Skyview system. Thank you!

Xfer flight plans from GPS 175

I'm considering installing a Garmin GPS175 to work with my Dynon. Will a flight plan which is entered into the Garmin feed to the Dynon over the ARINC interface ?

Second question: It looks like the GPS175 wiring would be quite simple
ARINC out
Power
Ground
Any required external annunciators
External go around button if desired.

What am I missing ?

Thanks for your help.

PM your email

I'm considering installing a Garmin GPS175 to work with my Dynon. Will a flight plan which is entered into the Garmin feed to the Dynon over the ARINC interface ?

Second question: It looks like the GPS175 wiring would be quite simple
ARINC out
Power
Ground
Any required external annunciators
External go around button if desired.

What am I missing ?

Thanks for your help.

PM me your email and I will send you my wiring and setup PDF file to integrate the SkyView to the 175.

Brian

Hello Everyone, who is thinking about installing one of the above units, or the GNC 355, here is what I have learned installing the above units over the last few days.

Settings in the Garmin are,

ARINC
RX EFIS/ADC, HIGH
TX GAMA Format 3, HIGH

RS232
Aviation Output 1. Note: On the 375, the only RS 232 ports with Aviation Output 1 are 1 & 2. On the 175, all three ports have Aviation Output 1.

On the 175 install, we connected it to a SkyView Classic Touch using the ARINC 429 module, but it would work the same way on the HDX screens.

On the 375 install, we connected it to a Dynon D-100 without using the HS34 module, but he only has lateral tracking only using his autopilot until he upgrades to the SkyView HDX next year. We used Serial Port 1 set to Aviation 1 for Autopilot commands and Serial Port 5 RX set to Alt Frmt 1 100FT for his pressure altitude from the D-100. Set the RS232 output from the D-100 to Format 4.

If anyone wants more info, email at [email protected] and I will talk you through the install and setup.

Brian

Many thanks for your post.
It helped me today after a 355 install and wondering why is not talking. :confused:

Here is the wiring and config setup photos

Juliano,

Double check your wiring and settings with the ones on my guide. The pinouts are the same for the 175, 355, and 375, GPS function only.

Tap on the picture to see the complete PDF.

View attachment GPS 175 to Dynon SkyView System With Config.pdf

The last few pages are photos of the setup screens. The ports match the pins, so if you used a different serial pinout, then you need to match the port to the pinout you used.

Brian

Last edited:
Dynon doesn't show FP

Brian,

Thanks for your inputs.
Interesting now, even having the setup as you recommended, Skyview receive the flight plan from the 355, shows on the screen the list of waypoints but does not "activate" the leg, neither "draw" the flight plan on the MAP or give the heading on HSI.
Meaning the autopilot does not follow what is on 355.
Any idea?
Dynon said to follow a config procedure, which is the one you posted here.

Appreciate your time.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-08-24-12h35m43s681.png
    vlcsnap-2021-08-24-12h35m43s681.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 162
  • vlcsnap-2021-08-24-12h39m07s566.png
    vlcsnap-2021-08-24-12h39m07s566.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 183
  • vlcsnap-2021-08-24-12h39m24s501.png
    vlcsnap-2021-08-24-12h39m24s501.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 195
Brian,

Thanks for your inputs.
Interesting now, even having the setup as you recommended, Skyview receive the flight plan from the 355, shows on the screen the list of waypoints but does not "activate" the leg, neither "draw" the flight plan on the MAP or give the heading on HSI.
Meaning the autopilot does not follow what is on 355.
Juliano, do you have an ARINC module or are you simply using an RS232 serial connection? IIRC, the graphical waypoints to show on the Dynon map require (are sourced from) ARINC-429 data. I have an ancient KLN-90B and even that old girl will show her waypoints on the Dynon map when following an active flightplan.

Transponder and Skyview with GNX 375

With a GNX 375, which has ADS-B In/Out, the transponder can be controlled with the HDX, correct? And the HDX can display ADS-B In (FIS-B and TIS-B) from the 375? And I wouldn't need SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-ADSB-470, right?

Yes, and No

With a GNX 375, which has ADS-B In/Out, the transponder can be controlled with the HDX, correct? And the HDX can display ADS-B In (FIS-B and TIS-B) from the 375? And I wouldn't need SV-XPNDR-261 and SV-ADSB-470, right?

You won’t need the 261 transponder, and the SkyView will not control the GNX375. If you want to display ADSB info on the SkyView, you will need the 472 ADSB. The GNX375 will not send ADSB In data to the SkyView as Dynon uses their own protocol. To display any ADSB In data, you will need to use an iPad.

Back