What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Here's mine: I just finished getting all the major pieces in and all the supporting brackets and nutplates riveted into place.

panelfull.jpg

Blue Mountain EFIS/One primary, Grand Rapids EFIS secondary, Dynon as backup instead of turn coordinator, Garmin GNS530 GPS, GMA340 audio, SL30 radio, GTX340 transponder, Grand Rapids EIS.

Warning indicators will go in the panel above the Blue Mountain, and the AOA display will be hanging down from the glare shield where the black line is above the Blue Mountain. That line marks the pilot centerline. Switches will go in a subpanel below the main panel. Fuel select, MT prop controller, some switches, and throttle quadrant will go in a console, maybe something like Pete James'. The blank spaces on the RT and below the Garmin stack are presently unallocated. I will probably decide to add a music-type radio/player under the Garmin stack, but I'm still pondering that.

This is a tipup canopy, so both F745s had to be cut off and relocated. They now are fastened on the LT by the 2 LT GRT fasteners and one screw in the LT bracket for the 530 tray (you can see the screw hole). The RT F745 is fastened with the upper RT Grand Rapids EIS fastener and the new hole above it. The old F745R hole is below and to the LT of that. Being a tipup gives good access between the panel & subpanel. Also, the skin between the subpanel and firewall will have 2 top and 1 RT access panels cut in it, for full access to all the avionics.

Everything was measured, laid out, and cut by hand, using a cutoff wheel in my cordless drill, followed by plenty of filing. Experimental Panel Builder site was a help in basic layout, Panel Planner software was too buggy & other problems. The initial goal was to get the BMA as far to the LT as possible, then fill in the rest as tight to that as I could get it. Layout focus was more on functionality and access than on symmetry. The panel will be painted flat or semi-flat black when I am done.

It's dual battery, dual bus, all-electric, dual fuel pumps with Eggenfellner Subaru STi supercharged engine. I will probably go with all or mostly fuses behind the panel, behind the RT fwd access panel.

Lots more work to go!
brian

Nice panel - but

Brian,

You certainly have nice electronics in your panel. But have you stopped and thought about all the button presses and in what order you are going to have to make them, just to do something simple like setting the altimeter when ATC gives you a handoff?

Please don't take this wrong, it has nothing to do with Glass. I fly behind glass in my current personal airplane.

http://www.highrf.com/gallery/N38AL-Trip-to-Utah/DSCN0316
http://www.highrf.com/gallery/N38AL-Trip-to-Utah/DSCN0317

I'm also in the middle of building another high performance airplane that will be glass based.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5571

It just seems that what gets most people in trouble with Glass is the button pressing...and you're gonna have a bunch...3 EFIS systems might be a bit overkill.

my .02,

Last edited:
Panel Progress

Below is my current progress with my panel. As it sits now it will be equipped with a Dynon EFIS, with traditional compass, airspeed, and altimeter as redundancy, an Advanced Flight Systems AF-2500 EIS, ICOM IC-A200 Com, Sigtronics Sport 200S Intercom, and a Garmin GTX-320 Transponder.

pict00070yn.jpg

Enjoy!
Steve Glaeser
RV-7A - Fuselage

Here is my panel: just got it back from powder coating

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\N818KW instrument panel on bench.jpg

Here is my panel which I just finished cutting and filing prior to sending it out for paint. The powder coating turned out nice with a wrinkled texture. I will be flying from the right side so the panel is set up opposite from most.

The equipment list is as follows: 3 GRT MFDs w/ dual AHRS, Garmin GNS-430 nav/com, SL-40 com, GTX-330 transp., GPS-396 handheld, TruTrak Sourcerer Autopilot and PMA-8000B audio panel.

Keith Ward
Marietta, GA
RV-7 in the making
Getting closer.. Still have panel wiring, Firewall forward and cowling

Your image

keithward said:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\N818KW instrument panel on bench.jpg

Here is my panel which I just finished cutting and filing prior to sending it out for paint. The powder coating turned out nice with a wrinkled texture. I will be flying from the right side so the panel is set up opposite from most.

The equipment list is as follows: 3 GRT MFDs w/ dual AHRS, Garmin GNS-430 nav/com, SL-40 com, GTX-330 transp., GPS-396 handheld, TruTrak Sourcerer Autopilot and PMA-8000B audio panel.

Keith Ward
Marietta, GA
RV-7 in the making
Getting closer.. Still have panel wiring, Firewall forward and cowling[/QUOTE]

Keith,

You image won't work hosted from your local "c:" drive, see the notes about posting pictures. Also you need to edit your post and add the trailing "" But that won't fix the underlying problem of the source of the picture.

Lots of firsts

These are the first pictures taken from my first digital camera. This is also my first attempt to post a picture to the forums. Okay, enough disclaimers. Here is my first panel (its a little bit different :p )

Day VFR

panelday3no.jpg

Night VFR

panelnight2mu.jpg

Last edited:
My old panel - Tear down

Thought you might like to see a panel being taken apart. This is the panel in the AOPA Win A Six - as it looks right now. :eek: It didn't used to look this bad and I doubt it ever will again. My wife could only recognize it by the curtain on the left. It wasn't bad before they started, of course after they get done it might look almost as good as my RV-7A when I finish it! :D

6Panel.jpg

Fuzz Panel

Here Is my panel,
Very simple just like me. But I do have dual throttle , and pitch only for co-pilot, no mixture, cause there usually dopy, so they cant shut down the engine. if you like the idea I will show you the deal.

Last edited:
Why did you keep the trim indicators?

John, nice panel! Since you have the AFS3500 for an EIS and it has the trim indicator on it, why didn't you eliminate the stock trim indicators? I was looking at that as one of the (many) advantages of the AFS over others.

Thanks,

Stewart

Scott, thanks for the photo.. I'm planning on a similar setup (dual GRT side-by-side) and am happy to see it work great in that config.

My Panel - almost done

GRT EFIS (2), GRT EIS, TruTrak DigiFlight IIg AP, Garmin SL-30,. GTX327, Garmin GPSMap296. '296 mounted on the car mount that came with it; can be angled in pitch and yaw; supported on 1/8" aluminum bar cantilevered from angle stock nested inside flange at bottom of panel. SCB's wherever feasible. Panel-mounted PTT (red, next to radio) for when passenger stick is removed. Flap sw can be used by same hand as throttle. Switches on top on a removable mini-panel where space wasted and easier to work with. EFIS centered in front of pilot, required moving panel support rib on tip-up. Radio stack location determined by support structure of tip-up release mechanism. Left-right switch for checking mag drops (first one to right of GPS). Lift Reserve Indicator (non electric). Plan to have backup battery and when available, the dual-AHRS/IFR capable version that GRT has coming. Undecided about WX option.
Superior XP-360 Plus (FI), Sam James cowl and plenum. RV-7A QB tip up. Prince P-Tip carbon fiber FP prop. http://home.cogeco.ca/~n17hh

Panel20060607.jpg

Last edited:
RV7A N678CM Panel

RV7A N678CM has been flying since March 2006 and after a substantial set-up effort everything in the panel is working flawlessly.

The panel is anchored by a GRT Horizon dual screen EFIS with EIS4ooo engine monitor, internal GPS, ARINC module and XM weather module. Avionics include a GNS430, SL40, GTX327, PS6000 and the superb TruTrak Digiflight IIVSGV auto pilot. The auto pilot can track the GNS430 or it can be fully controlled by the EFIS including V-NAV. The switches and breakers are mounted along the top of the panel to allow for easy access and use panel space that does not allow for much depth due to canopy frame interference.

Everything fits in the standard Van's Tip-up instrument panel supplied with the kit without the need for a knee room robbing bottom panel extension. A minor modification to the right panel support rib is the only alteration required.
Figuring out how to fit it all in took longer than building it. For avionics wiring I used an Approach system Pro hub. For the integration of the GRT system I used their wiring harness and connected it to the avionics thru the hub.

Martin Sutter RV7A N678CM

Impressive

Martin,
Impressive panel.
I imagine you now have a few hours on it, as I too did my first flight in March and now have 50 odd hours.
I hope you are as happy with the GRT as I am. Just wish I had three.

Have you managed to insert a 'Checklist' on the GRT. Mine keeps indicating, 'NO CHECKLIST FOUND' even though I have one on the memory stick.

Great job.
regards,
Pete.

No Checklist found

I had the same problem about the checklist.
I tried a USB "stick" that I had before the GRT and it worked fine.
The problem appeared to be the stick they provided.
The format for the entries as provided by GRT includes the ability to show current values by surrounding a code with the % symbol. Note the ability to support multiple lists.
The file must be named "checklist.txt". I don't know if it needs to be capitalized or not.
h
--------------------------------------------GRT format follows -------------------
list TEST
item RPM - %0%
item EGT 1 - %1%
item EGT 2 - %2%
item EGT 3 - %3%
item EGT 4 - %4%
item EGT 5 - %5%
item EGT 6 - %6%
item EGT 7 - %7%
item EGT 8 - %8%
item EGT 9 - %9%
item CHT 1 - %10%
item CHT 2 - %11%
item CHT 3 - %12%
item CHT 4 - %13%
item CHT 5 - %14%
item CHT 6 - %15%
item EIS VOLTS - %16%
item FUEL FLOW - %17%
item EIS TEMPERATURE - %18%
item CARB TEMPERATURE - %19%
item COOLANT TEMPERATURE - %20%
item HOURMETER - %21%
item FUEL REMAINING - %22%
item FLIGHT TIME - %23%
item OIL TEMPERATURE - %24%
item OIL PRESSURE - %25%
item EIS AUX 1 - %26%
item EIS AUX 2 - %27%
item EIS AUX 3 - %28%
item EIS AUX 4 - %29%
item EIS AUX 5 - %30%
item EIS AUX 6 - %31%

list TEST2
item FUEL ENDURANCE - %32%
item FUEL RANGE - %33%
item ENGINE PERCENT POWER - %34%
item EFIS VOLTS 1 - %35%
item EFIS VOLTS 2 - %36%
item EFIS VOLTS 3 - %37%
item ANALOG AUX 1 - %38%
item ANALOG AUX 2 - %39%
item ANALOG AUX 3 - %40%
item ANALOG AUX 4 - %41%
item ANALOG AUX 5 - %42%
item ANALOG AUX 6 - %43%
item ANALOG AUX 7 - %44%
item ANALOG AUX 8 - %45%
item OAT - %46%
item INDICATED AIRSPEED - %47%
item TRUE AIRSPEED - %48%
item VERTICAL SPEED - %49%
item ALTIMETER - %50%
item PRESSURE ALTITUDE - %51%
item DENSITY ALTITUDE - %52%
item BAROSET - %53%
item AHRS ALIGNMENT - %54%
item AHRS STATUS - %55%
item AHRS ATTITUDE STATUS - %56%
item AHRS ALTITUDE STATUS - %57%
item AHRS ROLL - %58%
item AHRS PITCH - %59%
item AHRS HEADING - %60%
item AHRS SLIP - %61%
item AHRS VOLTS 1 - %62%
item AHRS VOLTS 2 - %63%
item AHRS VOLTS 3 - %64%
item AHRS TEMPERATURE - %65%

list TEST3
item FLAPS - %66%
item AILERON TRIM - %67%
item ELEVATOR TRIM - %68%
item ACTIVE WAYPOINT - %69%
item ESTIMATED TIME TO WAYPOINT - %70%
item RANGE TO WAYPOINT - %71%
item BEARING TO WAYPOINT - %72%
item GROUNDSPEED - %73%
item WIND SPEED - %74%
item WIND DIRECTION - %75%
item NAV MODE - %76%
item A/P MODE - %77%
item VNAV MODE - %78%
item SELECTED HEADING - %79%
item SELECTED COURSE - %80%
item SELECTED ALTITUDE - %81%

Last edited:
Testing 1, 2, 3

Martin,
I shall try yours and report back.
Here's mine and to my ignorant eye the format looks the same.
Pete.
list START
item CB'S IN
item FLAPS UP
item MASTER/ALT ON
item AVIONICS ON
item STROBES ON
item FUEL PORT - %27%
item FUEL PORT - %26%
item STARTER MASTER ON
item THROTTLE WIDE
item PITCH FINE
item MIXTURE RICH
item FUEL PUMP PRIME
item MIXTURE CUTOFF
item THROTTLE SET
item MIXTURE IDLE CUTOFF
item IGNITION BOTH
item CLEAR PROP
item STARTER ENGAGE
item CHECK OIL PRESS - %24%
item CHECK VOLTS - %35%
item STARTER MASTER OFF

list TAKEOFF CHECKLIST
item TRIMS SET
item THROTTLE FRICTION
item MIXTURE RICH
item FLAPS AS REQD
item FUEL PORT - %27%
item FUEL STB - %26%
item CHECK HEADING - %60%
item SET BAROSET - %53%
item ECAM CHECK
item CONTROLS FULL & FREE
item MAGS CHECK
item PROP EXRCISE
item HARNESS SECURE
item CANOPY SECURE
item LINING UP STROBE
item LANDING LIGHT
item TXPDR
item FUEL PUMP ON
item CHECK OIL TEMP - %24%

Martin, Tell me about your interior.

I have flown in some -4's and the walls give an already cramped cockpit an even more cramped feeling. I am almost 6' tall and 195 lbs. How big are you? Would two people my size be comfortabe in the plane? How did you like the install?

It looks GREAT!

Details please!

:D CJ

RV7A Interior

The interior is a Classic Aero package. The workmanship is superb and Luke at Classic Aero is one of the nicest people you can do business with. Installation was easy, took about 6 hrs to cover all the details and everything fit without alterations. I got the package 3hrs before we left for a fly-in and had everything in on a temporay basis in 30 minutes but took it back out later to fine tune the details. I weigh 165lbs and am 5'8" tall and my wife only weighs 110 so we have plenty of space. Two 195 lbs people would be tight in any of the side by side RV's. The Classic Aero interior does not take away any room where the people need it but the cockpit itself is the limiting factor. Of course there are many folks your size flying 6's, 7's and 9's so it can obviously be done but the larger you are the less elbow room you can enjoy in these airplanes.

Martin Sutter

Thanks Martin!

I will likely go with the CA interior package. I find it an appealing package. I know how cramped (or spacious) a -7 cockpit is and fortunately, my wife is small. My co-pilots can be big dudes though!

One more question. Did you put any sound deadening insulation under it? Is there room to do so?

:) CJ

Sound proofing

No, I did not, but there would be space behind the panels of the interior if you wanted to do so. Unfortunately effective sound proofing is heavy so I chose not to do that and wear a noise cancelling head set.

Martin

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site, and I just posted this same message on the RV-9 board; however, I thought it would be of use on the RV-7 thread as well.

I received my quick-build kit last week and I am now running scared that I will not have all of the components I need, engine, prop and panel in time to finish their aiplane in my original 6 month goal. On Tueday, I spoke to Damian at Affordable Panels about a panel for me, and while listing the items I wanted, he said "Darn, that is almost identical to a panel we are doing for Mr. Jett" I asked them to send me some photos to see if that is what I wanted. After I saw the photos, I said Ditto.

I am posting the photos here in case someone is considering a similar layout and wants some ideas for their own installation. I understand these photos are from a RV-7 with Tip-Up canopy, but my RV-9 with slider canopy should be very similar. My original choice of colors was a Gray tone with white letters, but this beige with black letter looks interesting.

Garry :)

dsc007694yl.jpg

dsc007728dc.jpg

dsc007906ae.jpg

dsc007925wo.jpg

THAT'S IT!

That is my panel EXACTLY! You read my mind! I am considering Advanced and GRT, as well as Dynon, but essentially... THAT'S IT!

Nice panel!!!

;) CJ

Flew the DC-9

Control,
I'm with you.
A bit of decent ergonomics.
Pete.
PS. Did you fly the DC-9 too.
Pete.

Panel finished (finally)

After quite a bit longer than originally anticipated, the panel is finally done and has power to it. Here is the result:

0.jpg

I'm pretty darn pleased with how this came out!

This is with one of Fabian's modular panels, just FYI.

---
Garrett Smith
RV-7A, wiring
www.golfsierra.org

Love the finish on your panel, Jeff

Jeff,

I just love the finish on your panel. The texture and color are BEAUTIFUL! What did you use. I also live the setup as well.

I am working away on the wings of a QB RV9A but hope to be to the panel part someday. I love to dream and this makes good dreams :)

Cleve Thompson

Its carbon vacuum bagged onto 3/32" ply. This picture shows the color and texture best. (Altimeter in wrong location) oops. Since made another with a more correct layout. I'm all setup to vacuum bag more if anyone is interested.

-Jeff

PANEL%20026.jpg

Flat Carbon panel

Check my panel on the RV of the Week a couple of weeks ago (717EE). I used a flat carbon panel overlay the stock Van's panel. I love Jeff's panel but it takes away some flexibility by molding in instrument recesses.

I used 45 degree biased carbon (2 layers) and 4 layers of glass cloth for structure.

I can do a flat panel sheet 14 x 48 for $300. I can also do carbon with red, blue or gold mixed in. Not cheap but carbon has went up dramatically. Definitely adds to the cool factor.

Yes I can make them flat and you cut your own holes for your instrument placement. The one shown was molded with all instrument holes cut in the core because all of them were going to be cut out. Which obviousy were cut out after it was complete. I could make them to fit any panel for $125.

-Jeff

THIS makes it EASY

OK.. getting MY panel done here..

Step 1: stretch that .jpg to fit the Van's .dxf
Step 2: print and send to shop
Step 3: order all that stuff
Step 4: assemble
Step 5: Hey, look at 'MY' awesome panel!

Great job! Thanks for the pix.

Ok, this is in a -9 but ...

It is coming together. Click on picture to enlarge.

Last edited:
RV_7A said:
Ed, email it to me and I can post it.

This panel is owned by Pete James. Check out the center console. Very cool! I was wondering when someone was going to do this.

Pete%20James%20Panel.jpg

Where can we see more info on this center console???

Parts...

fodrv7 said:
Here are some more pics showing the evolution of my console.
Pete.

Pete... are the sides of your console "borrowed" parts from a tip-up roll bar?

gil in Tucson

Roll Bar screw up

Confirmative.
I had the basic concept of a curved console in my head and was trying to work out how to execute it. Then I drilled the bolt access holes in the roll bar at the wrong end. I threw them in the scrap heap and then realised they where exactly what I needed for the roll bar. (Ordered replacement roll frames from Vans.)

From there it evolved and I ended up making a GRP Cover, which really made the roll bar 'super-structure' redundant.

Pete.

Pete,

Thanks for posting the pics of your console. I bought the throttle quadrant a while back and have been trying to come up with an installation that would look good and work well. Yours looks great. Is there a mold for the cover or a supplier that I could contact? I would like to find one like yours without the mag switch ( I have already mounted my mag switch on the panel).

Thanks for the help.

Keith

A while back someone posted a picture of an RV with a chrome rollbar and a grey leather glarshield covering. Can anyone point me in the direction to find that picture?

Thanks,

Keith

Didn't see a response to this question

txaviator said:
Txaviator, Did you find the name of the builder of the molded panel? I'm interested in trying something like that. I like the idea of the radios and other displays pointing more toward the PIC. Perhaps someone else knows where I can find a blank like that?
Kev

Sorry I missed your post/question last month! I just saw it. The panel I posted (taken at the Texas RV Fly-In) is listed to N16DD (RV-6), which is Richards Stevens, out of Montgomery, TX. I don't recognize the name as being a poster within this forum. I got his snail-mail address and plan on shooting a letter off to him. In the interim:

* Does anyone know how to contact Richard Stevens?
* Does anyone know who manufactures this panel (the basic panel layout itself)? Or is it perhaps a custom-built panel? Looking at it up close, in person, it appeared to be an injection-molded product? :confused:

nice7si.jpg

I never saw a response to this query. Maybe it's there but I'm not going to look that hard. ;)

The panel is made/sold by Laird Owens. I've got one that I'm putting in my 7A. It's made of laid-up fiberglass. I got mine this past March for $450 so they're still available. You can reach Laird at: [email protected]

-Rick

Last edited:
Back