What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Colorado PIREP KBJC KAEJ

TShort

Well Known Member
All-

I'm flying the -10 out to CO next week, and am taking the CO pilot's Association mountain flying seminar and flight training next weekend.

The class is at KBJC. Looks like Signature is the only option on the field - any PIREPs?

My brother and I have a place outside of Buena Vista (he lives in Golden). I'm planning on flying in and out of there (KAEJ) sometimes to go to the cabin. Anyone know anything about temp hangars, etc?

What's the consensus on Denver area reliever airports? He lives in Golden, so BJC is the closest. I always used KLMO back when he lived NW of Boulder, but that's quite a drive from his place. What Denver area airports are GA/RV friendly?

Thanks in advance...

I have flown into Buena Vista for several years (family vacation spot). They are very accommodating, but hangar situation is hit and miss if it's available. They have a large nice hangar but in the past has been leased out to government contracts, etc.

Contact Jill, the airport manager there (I think she flies a Glasair) to check on their accommodations. They've made a lot of improvements, very GA focused. I highly recommend and look forward to going back many more times.

Good on ya.....

For taking the CPA mountain flying course - it is one of the best in the region. Getting hot out here now. Temps in the 80s and 90s. Love flying to KAEJ but have not done it in a while.

KBDU - watch out for glider/tow activity as well as the geese.
KLMO - watch out for parachute jumpers
KEIK would be the next one, but that takes you a bit further east than you may want to be.

Those would be the closest options for you from KBJC. Contact EAA Chapter 43 leadership for possible hangar space in any of those airports in that vicinity.

PIREPS - Local Activity
Lookout Mountain (a few miles south of KBJC) watch out for hang gliders. I had to dodge a few of them myself a couple of weeks ago.

KBJC - looks like they are grooving runway 12R/30L on various days and times next week. This is the shorter of the two parallel runways. if you have to deviate to KAPA to the south for any reason, its main runway 17L/35R is being completely redone, and it is closed 24/7 until July. That still leaves two remaining runways available.

A lot of activity, including aerobatic flying, is taking place to the northwest of KBJC on a daily basis, including some NOTAMs for UAS.

So lots of local airport work going on, and lots of folks out flying. Head on a swivel and eyes outside the cockpit as much as possible is the best advice I can give for that area. Depending on when you arrive, you may be able to get clearance through the class B, but the preference for VFR aircraft is usually to route you around it. Lots of small class B sectors to the south and east with changing altitudes, so be familiar with that.

Have a great and safe trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

This trip it looks like I'll be based out of KBJC, as the course is there and we're flying out of there on Sunday.

We're going to fly in to KAEJ on Sunday as part of the dual, so I'll get some experience there.

Back