What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke system with smoke in cockpit

RKURRLE

Just finished installing Smoke System Helpers smoke system in my RV 14A. Complete kit, straightforward installation with tank tucked in behind co-pilot seat.

Initial flight this morning - worked great, except I am getting smoke in the cockpit.
Anyone else have operating smoke system in RV 14 and experienced this.

I have the stock Vans exhaust and it seems like the smoke exiting the exhaust with airspeed 150 knots, would be swept quickly back and not be able to get into the cabin. My thoughts would be through the wing roots or under the edge of the canopy.

Appreciate any thoughts

Look around the landing gear going into the fuselage, and also the flap control rods.

My 9A has this issue also and sealing up the passthru of landing gear has been the biggest help.

Just finished installing Smoke System Helpers smoke system in my RV 14A. Complete kit, straightforward installation with tank tucked in behind co-pilot seat.
Appreciate any thoughts

Quick question for you having done the recent installation - I bought the kit and am still building my fuselage. If you had an unfinished fuselage - would you run a different type of hose for the smoke oil to the firewall other than that very thick, black rubber hose provided in the kit?

Regards,
Rich K

For those with an RV-14 smoke system up and running, where did you plumb the hose? I had it in the tunnel through one of the four channels, but removed it because the wiring harness needed more space.

Physician minds want to know...

What's your carbon monoxide monitor doing while this happens? :eek:

What's it reading when you're not running smoke?

I appreciate the comments.

The plane has been flying 2 years and I just added the smoke system. I did use the rubber hose supplied with the kit and ran it down the left side wall to the footwell and then thru the firewall. If I was in the building stage, I would put 1/4 inch aluminum fuel line instead of the large rubber hose that the kit is supplied with. Either run it low down the side and will be hidden with side panels or go below the floor panels.

I just took the landing gear fairings off and taped around where the landing gear enters the fuselage. I was surprised at how big of a gap was around the gear. Tomorow I will remove the wing fairing and try to block the holes in the fuselage.

I am just in the process of buying a CO monitor. I want to see the level - there maybe a problem there I was not aware of. Hopefully, it will be solved with blocking the leaks.

Quick question for you having done the recent installation - I bought the kit and am still building my fuselage. If you had an unfinished fuselage - would you run a different type of hose for the smoke oil to the firewall other than that very thick, black rubber hose provided in the kit?

Regards,
Rich K

I did! There is another builder that called it out and I bought it. I'll have to go back and find the thread to give it proper credit. Thinner diameter and more flexible. It is 3/8" ID x 9/16" OD x 3/32" Wall Superthane® Ether Based Tubing Item # 56509 from USP (United States Plastic Corp.) https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=83781&trk_msg=8IUSC18OD90KPBT8CSAJOIQSJG&trk_contact=KA9TT3RCBSU2DIMKBOT0RIK6HO&trk_module=tra&trk_sid=SSN2GD8B7FRTEEIMJ38JRG2O54&trk_link=ROMRUHL53Q9413SGI0SGR9QEJ0&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.usplastic.com%2fcatalog%2fitem.aspx%3fitemid%3d83781&utm_campaign=transactionals&utm_content=orderconfirmation

20210717_181845092.jpg

Consider the smoke is being sucked into the rear fuselage through some small opening around the tail. My friend’s Stearman has this occur via the tailwheel boot. Maybe take a look and see if there is any sealing you can do. A quick tape job and a test flight might give you good results.

During the test flight, point a GoPro into the tail cone, and one overlooking the cockpit. Try and observe where you see smoke entering first when you turn the smoke on.

I just installed smoke system as well in my 14A. I actually sealed around my gear legs with B2 sealant as well as around the side steps just behind the flaps in prep for this issue. I ran the smoke very briefly yesterday and cabin quickly filled with smoke. I was advised by others that opening the vents fully before turning on smoke might help by slightly “pressurizing” the cockpit. I will try that as well.

My best guess is that it’s coming in the tail somewhere? I would love to hear what anybody else has found the culprit to be.

Smoke selfie

Heres a smoke selfie I just took with my -14. I just installed my system too and have a slight smoke smell in the cockpit but not bad at all. Looking at my photo it very well could be coming in thru the tail cone. Also btw for those who haven’t seen, I posted a thread on a mod I made that gives a nice aural tone thru your audio panel while the smoke is working. Works cool especially in formation cause you dont have to look at anything to know the pump is running, just a beep every second its on.

Attachments

• 4E630C9B-7747-428D-A5E0-0C42968CF246.jpeg
    4E630C9B-7747-428D-A5E0-0C42968CF246.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
So if smoke can get in is there Carbon Monoxide coming in from the tailcone? Are the fresh air vents open? would this create a slight positive pressure inside the fuselage to negate this?

Thought I would give an update. I took the gear leg to fuselage (14A) fairings off and found gaps around where the leg enters the bottom fuselage. Taped all closed. Also taped around the tail cone. I redid the canopy seals to be more air tight. Did a test flight with a CO monitor. No smoke, no CO! Unfortunately I did not measure CO levels before I taped the gaps. I would assume since I had smoke in the cockpit, I also has CO.

So, problem solved!

Back