What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-mag / P-mag questions

TShort

Well Known Member
Didn't want to hijack the other thread....

I'd like to hear some experience from people using this system that have had good results and are happy ... I know there are lots out there flying. One of the difficulties with web forums (I think RV forums are less like this than car forums, etc) is that people who are having no problems and happy with things often don't post - they're too busy flying!
I'm seriously considering Pmags for the engine on the -8 and would like to hear people's experiences ... good or bad.

Thomas

Thomas:
Up to now, I have been very happy with the E-Mags. They are Really easy to install and time. The engine runs great with them, and starts a lot better than it ever did with Mags. I do have an issue right now, but we will see how it works out.
Al Grajek

Thomas, I have been running an E-mag for 2 years and about 150 hrs and am very happy.

Yours, Pete

Emag Pmag

Here is my post from the other thread. I think it is great product with excellent company support.

I have one each. Pretty much from day one my Pmag will drop 110 on a mag check. I now have 152 hours on the plane and the first annual is coming up in Dec. At that time I'm going to pull them and send in for upgrade. I have a fairly early set. Other than that I love these things!!!!

One of the things that I did that I am going to change is that I put all the upper plugs on one mag and lower on the other. I'm going to switch to 2 and 2. It has been suggested this might be the issue. Not a big deal, but worthy of checking.

For the gentleman that has the dead Emag, something is happening BEFORE the Emag. Check all wiring, the breaker and the ground. If it checked at the shop I say it is probably on your end. I had a suspect power lead that I found and fixed before flight.

The one thing with Emagair is the support. I am happy with their support and their desire to get things right. I'd certainly do it again. I think their product is the simplest and best performing electronic ignition out there despite the few minor issues and growing pains.

I haven't flown mine, but they sure are easy to install, especially with the latest firmware that allows you to set the timing by just blowing into the manifold pressure tubes. No brain box to mount to the firewall. No coils to mount to the engine block. Just mount them right where the mags go, in any orientation you want.

Pmag compatible with 87 octane mogas ?

I have a 150hp/7:1 0320. I have run 90 Oct no alc mogas for 250hr on curve A.
I am concerned with advance curve at 34* max if I use pump 10% mogas.
Does anyone have experience ?
I understand I can just compare CHT between two types. just wondering if there is experience in the brain trust.

Very happy with performance and easy of installation. I had a set on my 7 for nearly 600 hours and another set on the 14 for about 300 hours with zero issues but great performance.

Dual E-Mags on my RV-6

I’ve got dual P-Mags and I love them. Ever since I installed them, my plane starts like a Honda. I can lean till the engine slows, and it still runs super smooth. I had over 500 hours on the original mags and needed to either rebuild or get new. I’m so glad I upgraded to the E-Mags, get them, you won’t be sorry.

mags to pmags

Coming up on 500 hrs and thinking about upgrading my standard old school mags... Pmags are at the top of the list.

What performance differences have you guys seen?

I've had dual P-mags since day one. Now have 920 hours and they have been solid performers. Sent them back at 500 hours for a Firmware update and check. No issues with auto spark plugs that get replaced for $24 every year (100+ hours/yr). I fly LOP and get 147-150 TAS Knots cruise at about 6 gallons per hour on my IO-320.

What performance differences have you guys seen?

All the available EI's will net about the same aircraft performance in the three key regimes of interest...starting, WOT, and cruise. The differences are in other areas, and can be significant.

Last edited:
I switched to dual Pmags recently as well. Did one, flew with it a while, then did the other one. My mags were getting up in age and an overhaul was due. Engine is smooth and starts right up on 1-2 blades.

Full credit goes to Carl Froelich who graciously donated time, hangar space and knowledge to help me with this. Couldn't have done it without him.

This should go in the Electronic Ignition Systems Section of forum... :D

[Done!]

Last edited by a moderator:
I run dual Pmags. The oldest one has 800 hours with no problems. You'll save a lot of money on spark plugs. I change all 8 every year for about $25. John

All the available EI's will net about the same aircraft performance in the three key regimes of interest...starting, WOT, and cruise. The differences are in other areas, and can be significant.

...and can be significant? Ok, let the other shoe drop!

Installing in an 8 for normal, average RV8 usage. Operating from 5636' with three bladed Catto.

Pmag tach output extra pulses

Running dual Pmags in my RV-7A with Aerosport power IO360 with about 22 hrs in phase 1 and 5 hrs on test stand. At about 8 hrs flight time in phase 1 started to see tach rpm on Skyview HDX flicking upwards randomly about 3-400 rpm as the engine temperatures came up on climb out CHTs running in the 390 region. Trouble shot the problem to the right mag. Had wired the tach output from both Pmags to the low voltage input to the EMS-220. After talking to Pmag rewired both to the >10 volt inputs - still the same problem- solid signal stable signal on the ground on startup and initial takeoff up to about 300 ft and then tach output flicking higher (never lower). Removed Pmag 6 pin connectors inspected wiring and reseated connectors - no change. Did an inflight leaned out single mag check and engine runs fine with no difference between mags so concluded problem was in the right Pmag circuitry for generating the tach output, not in the wiring or EMS-220. Since the effect never showed a lower RPM this was not an intermittent wiring issue. The spark generating part of the Pmag was working fine so decided to continue flying and see if the problem became a more consistent solid problem. Pmag concurred and supported the plan with the idea that there are a number of places in the Pmag tach circuit that could generate these symptoms. On each subsequent flight I have done an inflight single mag check on both mags with confirmation that the spark generating circuits are working fine. At about 15 hrs flight time the frequency of the anomaly reduced and by 18 hrs the problem had all but gone away. Tach signal for the last 3 hrs has been rock solid so the cause may just be a mystery. At no time did I have any doubts that this was just an instrumentation issue and that the engine RPM was rock solid and completely controlled by the prop governor. Wondered if anyone else had seen anything similar. Pmags and engine are running fine with acceptable climbout CHTs and low oil consumption. Starts on the second blade most of the time and can lean out in cruise to LOP with good control of CHTs and small spread.

KT

PMag lessons

Previously I noted that I had an intermittent RPM indication from the right PMag that seemed to settle down after about 20 hrs. Did an oil change at 20 hrs and checked the PMag timing. The original timing was done with both PMags at the same time at TDC. when checked after 20 hrs of engine run time the right PMag timing was very slightly before the left PMag (LED going from red to green). Did a new timing exercise with both PMags timed to the same location and found the same result - the right LED's change color slightly before the left. Did another timing exercise timing only the left at TDC and then the right at slightly beyond TDC (by about the 1 degree difference) and now both sets of LED's change color at the same time. I suspect that this is a normal occurrence due to the angular resolution of the position sensors in the PMag design. No discernable difference in engine performance or temperatures, however the RPM indication is now rock solid and not flicking upwards occasionally. Without instrumentation its all a bit of a mystery. Now at 30 hrs flight time and gathering more flight performance data.

KT

Hi Keith, do you have a pmag ignition monitor like the enginebridge or eicommander? You might get some info there about what's happening. I like to keep an eye on the advance with my eicommander, though I wish I had the version that send data to my EFIS. Typically in cruise I see something like 32.2° of advance. Running unleaded avgas.

I had no problem with the timing - perhaps if you have this again rotate one of the pmags slightly in the accessory case before timing to change where the gears are when you are at "TDC". Also, probably obvious, make sure to rotate the prop slowly towards TDC to ensure that the gears in the pmags are "tight" before setting the timing with the MAP tubes.

Running dual Pmags in my RV-7A with Aerosport power IO360 with about 22 hrs in phase 1 and 5 hrs on test stand. At about 8 hrs flight time in phase 1 started to see tach rpm on Skyview HDX flicking upwards randomly about 3-400 rpm as the engine temperatures came up on climb out....
SkyView reaads two independent RPM signals, but only shows the maximum RPM recieved. There is a piece of software code you can upload to your SkyView to see two independent RPM inputs, instead of the highest that SkyView see's and displays.

What I was thinking, because you've probably got the wiring thereanyway, is if you added a 2nd RPM widget to your EMS display calling it RPM R, and and renamed your existing one RPM L - or vice versa depending on your wiring, you could pull your datalog to see which PMag is actually generating the spiking RPM signal.

Ths post from the Dynon forums shows the code change, it's dead simple and might help you troubleshoot which one is the problem child.

Replaced my one Electroair with a P-mag. (Discovered why my Electroair was intermittent, when I did the $2k exchange).

Engine runs smooth and starts easily. I run LOP 95% of my time at cruise, it does a great job with one P-mag/one Slick mag. (180HP IO-360).

A friend with dual P-mags has had issues and sent back one once, and the other twice in less than 500 hours. The factory is very good to work with and resolve issues.

Myself I would keep one mag and go with one P-mag.

Pmags

I have 1959.5 Hrs on an IO-360 with two PMAGs. I have had the standard 500 Hr checkups done on both units over the course of 13 years of flying. I currently have aviation spark plugs, but will transition over to the automotive spark plugs soon, due to the lack of aviation spark plug harness support. The units have been just as dependable as magnito's. I have an EI Commander in the panel to monitor the RPM's and timing. I run 93 OCT E10 gas (or 100LL when I can't get it) and have had absolutely no issues. I have the EIS4000 engine monitor as well, as well as the GRT EFIS displays, and have no RPM issues for both sources.
The engine is an IO-360 with 8.5:1 compression pistons. So far, I've not seen any cylinder issues, or valve issues Absolutely no stuck valve issues to date! I do limit the PMAG advancement to 33.2* with the EI Commander.

Back