What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CQ Headset

Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
I recently ordered a new CQ headset from the Cards about a month ago & I could not be more happier on how they perform.

To be honest, I was skeptical if they would be as quiet as my Lightspeed Sierra's. However, it is incredible how much cockpit noise is reduced if the earplugs are inserted properly. This is key in my opinion to their effectiveness.

I just was not doing it correctly before.

I absolutely love how I cannot tell I am even wearing them.

Thumbs up to Scott & Tanya for producing a durable product that I truly enjoy!!

Respectfully,

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

Same here

I swear these tiny headsets are quieter than my new Dave Clark One X and the Zulu 3 I use to own. Plus the comfort level is so much better.

Occasionally I will make a short taxi to refuel and put on the One X since putting the CQ's in and out just takes a few seconds longer. As soon as the One X's go on my head and the engine starts, I'm wishing I had the CQ's instead.

For me, they are simply quieter than the noise cancelling headsets. That's what I like the most.

I had been having a problem getting an ear plug in one of my ears. So I went back and watched a video on this, and paid close attention. Instead of just pulling the ear up, I found that pulling it up, forward a bit, and then outward was the key. It opens up the ear canal.

FYI, I found out my two ears are quite different. Apparently this is not uncommon. For a while I was using the smaller foam plug in the problem ear but with the new technique I am able to use the yellow ones.

If I had one complaint - its the name! For some reason my brain will not remember "CQ", or is it QC, or QT, TQ, or IC or whatever. I've had them for a year now and still have to search the internet to figure out the name to look something up about them!

Hey Scott and Tanya - how about changing the name to "Best Aviation Headset"? I might be able to remember that name...

I swear these tiny headsets are quieter than my new Dave Clark One X and the Zulu 3 I use to own. Plus the comfort level is so much better.

Occasionally I will make a short taxi to refuel and put on the One X since putting the CQ's in and out just takes a few seconds longer. As soon as the One X's go on my head and the engine starts, I'm wishing I had the CQ's instead.

For me, they are simply quieter than the noise cancelling headsets. That's what I like the most.

I had been having a problem getting an ear plug in one of my ears. So I went back and watched a video on this, and paid close attention. Instead of just pulling the ear up, I found that pulling it up, forward a bit, and then outward was the key. It opens up the ear canal.

FYI, I found out my two ears are quite different. Apparently this is not uncommon. For a while I was using the smaller foam plug in the problem ear but with the new technique I am able to use the yellow ones.

If I had one complaint - its the name! For some reason my brain will not remember "CQ", or is it QC, or QT, TQ, or IC or whatever. I've had them for a year now and still have to search the internet to figure out the name to look something up about them!

Hey Scott and Tanya - how about changing the name to "Best Aviation Headset"? I might be able to remember that name...

... how to tell us you're not a ham operator without coming right out and telling us you're not a ham operator :D:D

Agreed that these "in ear" sets rock. I also had trouble with the in ear seal, and just like the CQ website states, fit is the most critical part of the system.

Using the "pull the ear up, back, out" or whatever it takes is the key. Like you "should" be inserting regular ear plugs for best performance.

I also bought a sample size set of music performer in ear tips for my set. You can find them online from most any music supplier, or I think CQ sells them as well. It's an easy way to judge your size for future replacements.

That change made a vast improvement in comfort. My last trip had some 3+ hours legs and I truly forgot that I was wearing anything. Hat on, off, glasses, you name it.

About 100 hours on my kit and no issues. They're worth trying

Cheers

It just never gets old hearing about happy customers. We very much appreciate every one of you.

The truth is that the name just kind of happened. In the beginning, when I was laser focused on the details of the headset that I wanted to fly, a good friend commented "It sure has that Card Quality that your other CMW customers depend on." Clearly the sales and marketing department wasn't very involved in that one, as it was busy doing engineering.

Back