Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobobk View Post
My thoughts and prayers go to the family. Like so many others, Tony was one of those whose posts I would always read. I am deeply saddened.

The saddest, yet the best, obits appear right here on VAF. We too, given enough time, will be featured. We should strive to live the life that brings condolences and remembrances as fine as these. RIP, Tony

Bob Kelly
VERY well-stated, Bob. My exact thoughts.

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skylane 182
* Hoping Vans decides to offer a bush plane, before I order something else! **EDIT**: got tired of waiting, and bought a '46 J3 Cub! **EDIT EDIT: the Cub will be for sale, the day Vans offers the new RV-15 for sale!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM

Default RV Down

Sad news indeed,

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

The picture below is the verticle stab. The top is to the right of the picture. The front mount area is on the left side of the picture. The top rudder hinge is seen on the right side of the picture. The vertical spar has been torn out of this part. The front mount of the vertical stab has also been torn out

Tony's track was straight up to the area of the crash site, then a sharp right turn.

I'm in the middle of my conditional inspection. I've already inspected the tail group, but, becasue of this accident, I'm going to re-visit this area and put some side loads on the vertical stab to see if I can find anything (cracks) around the front mount. Could the RV-7/8's have an issue like that found in the RV-9's?????? It's definately a prudent approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp2ex View Post
I am not very familiar with the RV build but this was found a good distance from the main wreckage. I am leaning towards horizontal stab because I see an offset hinge and would think the vert stab would be inline. Also thinking it is the right side but have no idea. I do not see a spar. Maybe someone can ID this piece.
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 PM
VAF moderator

Default Awful news....

Condolences to the family. Makes you stop and take a look around to be grateful for what you've got and who you know. You never know what tomorrow will bring.
Love,
Brian and Audra
AP/IA COM/Multi/IFR/350 type
Old 09-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred.Stucklen View Post

The picture below is the verticle stab.............becasue of this accident, I'm going to re-visit this area and put some side loads on the vertical stab to see if I can find anything (cracks) around the front mount.

Negative Fred, that is NOT the vertical stab. The vertical stab is in a tree clearly visible in the photos in this link: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n....html?mode=jqm

Please don't speculate if you're not sure what you're talking about. The piece you're talking about is one side of the horizontal stab.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Default Not speculating.....

Parts don't just come off of aircraft without a reason. It doesn't matter which part it is. If it happens once, it can and will happen again. I'm in the middle of my conditional. I'm going to look this area over again just to be sure......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinbasford View Post
Negative Fred, that is NOT the vertical stab. The vertical stab is in a tree clearly visible in the photos in this link: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n....html?mode=jqm

Please don't speculate if you're not sure what you're talking about. The piece you're talking about is one side of the horizontal stab.
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Farewell Tony!

This is extremely sad news for the VAF community. My sincere condolences go out to Amy and the rest of Tony's family. I hope one day they are able to see how much influence Tony had on so many people, many of whom he had never met in person.

I was very fortunate to meet and fly with Tony and several occasions. The first was my visit to Salmon Farms, my first stop on the east coast.

Tony was one of the first RV'rs I met on the east coast.

(Tony is on the left)

I had the pleasure of flying with him during our trip to Nova Scotia. What a great individual, full of life and a lot of fun to be around.
(Tony is in the middle, white shirt & blue hat)

Finally, here is Tony doing what he loved, FLYING!!!

God speed Tony, you will be missed.

Dan

Dan Thompson
RV-6A - N426JM - 180hp / C.S. / dual PMags
NC26 - Long Island Airpark, NC
Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 PM

God speed Tony!

To your family, I wish you the very best. Your entire family is in my prayers.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 PM

TK answered several questions for me about ATC. And he was willing to share the fun as well as the hard lessons that those might help the rest of us. Tailwinds Tony.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for all of your kind words and happy memories. Tony is the love of my life, my best friend, and my soul mate and I miss him terribly. I saw the crash site today and it is awful. I will tell you that whatever happened in my mind had to be catastrophic. Tony was a great pilot, a great man and a great husband and friend. Please feel free to reach out to me - ed. If you need to contact Amy I can give you the email/number. Removed here to better keep spammers/crooks out of the loop. dr]

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 09-22-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
Please feel free to reach out
Amy, we have such respect for Tony, and we feel the smallest part of your pain, as great as it is. How can we help you? This community steps up when it's asked. Please tell us what you need from us, now and in the future.

--
Stephen

Last edited by fatherson : 09-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.