- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM

Question Engine Choice

In my search of the ultimate answer as to what engine to purchase for my 9A a couple of questions arose and I'd lilke some feedback from those who have been in my shoes: hopefully to assist in my decision or clear up some of my concerns.

1) Is engine warranty really that significant? Wouldn't engine builder's, reputation, their support, etc., be more important that engine and/or cylinder warranty?

2) Is an engine that's NOT painted, just alodized, an issue? My concern would be future corrosion, etc. OR I could paint it myself! Would the engine really run cooler un-painted?

3) Is purchasing an engine from an independent builder better or worse than purchasing from the manufacturer directly? Maybe this questions goes with my question#1.

So much to think about, but it is a big $ investment to me.

Appreciate your thoughts!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Default Engine Thoughts

There are so many options that there is no 'right' answer. For me, I bought my engine/prop through Vans which saved a bit of $$. There is a lot of comfort in knowing that I have a brand new Lycoming hanging on the front of the plane that should serve me for many years before I need to consider major engine maintenance. Besides, the Lycoming plant is only 3 miles from my home, allowing for a hassle-free pickup at the factory loading dock.

jim Diehl RV-7A
Williamsport, Pa
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 PM

A consideration for a slow builder - Aerosport has a warranty period that doesn't start ticking til first flight. There are a lot of other things to like about Aerosport but that was a biggy for me.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:27 AM

Buy the IO320 only. Do not buy it until you are within 6 months of flight.

Buy the one which you feel best with. Warranty really has very little to do with it as you are not likely to need it and from the big OEM's it is not worth the trouble. Aerosport might be the choice, but apply the rules above.

I would have 2 x mags, and a CS prop.

My $0.02 worth.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 AM

[quote=RV10inOz;802991]Buy the IO320 only. Do not buy it until you are within 6 months of flight.

[quote]

Why wait til within 6 months?

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgreen View Post
A consideration for a slow builder - Aerosport has a warranty period that doesn't start ticking til first flight. There are a lot of other things to like about Aerosport but that was a biggy for me.
Same here. Also, engine prices seem to be going up frequently. Buying a well preserved engine early worked for me.
RV-12iS - Kits arriving June ‘22
RV Pedal Plane - Building for the grandkids
VAF on Annual Autopay
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM

I'm aways from the engine, but it seems like the three main experimental engine suppliers are Lycoming, ECI, or Aerosport at this point. Who cares to weigh in on these companies and your experience with them.

Thanks
http://www.mykitlog.com/MikeMike

2021 Donation gladly paid..
Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up Barrett Precision Engines

Don't forget Allen and Rhonda at Barrett Precision Engines! They are great to work with and build exceptional quality engines to your specifications. Check out their added value items on their website or better yet, give them a call - they'll be happy to answer any questions. No, I'm not on the payroll, just a happy customer (who hasn't flown my airplane yet, but I watched Allen build my engine!)!

Don't forget that with all the redundancy you may put in your panel, there's still only one engine out front!!

Good luck!
Garmin Panel - All touchscreens
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmel View Post
Don't forget Allen and Rhonda at Barrett Precision Engines! They are great to work with and build exceptional quality engines to your specifications. Check out their added value items on their website or better yet, give them a call - they'll be happy to answer any questions. No, I'm not on the payroll, just a happy customer (who hasn't flown my airplane yet, but I watched Allen build my engine!)!

Don't forget that with all the redundancy you may put in your panel, there's still only one engine out front!!

Good luck!
I ditto that.

This is not to say there are no other sources for an engine, but you can not go wrong with a Barrett Precsion Engine.

Ask anyone who has one.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Barrett

I've got a Mattituck (not yet flying) io360 hanging on my rv8 and it is really a nice looking engine.

I met Rhonda Barrett at OSH this year, and she really impressed me as being a straight shooter - I doubt you will go wrong buying one of their engines.

Please send him a bit of money so he can keep providing food and essentials to civilians affected by the war.