What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak EFIS Misreporting Altitude/Backup EFIS retrofit

mikelupo

Patron
@TruTrakAndrew, I have a few questions for you related to the TruTrak EFIS.
This is my EFIS:
https://www.bendixking.com/content/dam/bendixking/en/documents/document-lists/downloads-and-manuals/8300-057-EFIS-Autopilot-Installation-Manual.pdf

I have a dual EFIS set up in the RV-10. The pilot side EFIS mis-represents the altitude. It's off by over 100'. The Passenger side EFIS is fine and when set to the correct baro it represents accurately. It may have gone unnoticed by me till now because I usually run the right EFIS in Engine and systems monitor mode.

The static system in the aircraft was replaced last week by me. I did this because the A/C could not pass the IFR certification due to excessive static leak. Though I've not re-submitted for IFR cert yet, I believe they will find it acceptable.

Fortunately, I happen to have a back-up EFIS that came with the plane when I purchased it. When I connect it up, all three altimeters (G5, EFIS-1 and EFIS-2) agree. BUT to my surprise....physically this backup unit is for rear a panel flush mount, but my panel was set up for the through panel bezel design.

Questions:
1) Can the errant altimeter be repaired? recalibrated? It's not evident in the docs.

Second question:
2) If I cannot fix the primary EFIS, can I take the guts out of the backup and place into the enclosure into the "Broken" primary so that it can physically take advantage of the existing panel mounts?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Shoot me an email on this one...I will see what I can find for calibration on the altimeter. I will also check with MidContinent and see if they can do the calibration on the EFIS. I can't recall if they are doing those or not.

I’m having the same issue - errant altitude displayed - with an EFIS AP IV that I acquired (had never been installed). Was a solution determined? There has to be a way to recalibrate the altitude. Contacted Bendix King and MidContinent but no solution determined yet.

Grant Cassady

Last edited:
Back