What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are there any Harmon Rockets in the Southeast?

jdicker680

I'm New Here
All -

I am in the process of trying to decide what type of RV to purchase. I have narrowed down my choices to an RV4, RV7, RV8, or a Harmon Rocket. The problem I usually have with airplanes is making sure I can fit in them comfortably, I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs (I'm pretty leggy). I have sat or rode in all of the RV's listed above except for a Harmon Rocket. Does anyone have one around the southeast that I could come by and sit in for a few minutes to see how it fits? We don't have to take a flight (even though I wouldn't refuse an offer!), I really just want to see how it fits me.

Thanks,

Jason

You'd fit in my -4 fine. There is a guy in Newnan with an F1 and a guy near Chattanooga with a Harmon that frequent the local fly-ins but no Rockets at the airports around us that I know of.

Sid,

Let me know next time you will be over at the airport. I will come by and check out your RV4 for a few minutes. I know the Harmon Rockets are about 4" wider in the pilot seat, and about 6 inches longer in the passenger seat. I would just like to see how much room I would have in the front seat for my maps, charts, etc since most of my missions are 400 nm cross country trips.

Hi Jason

Ditch the maps and get an iPad...trust me....I've been using charts and approach plates since 1966 and the new SkychartsPro app blows them all away! Maps for anywhere in the USA, plus all the IFR approach plates and low altitude enroute charts...for $20 a year!!

BTW, Lee Logan has an F-1 Rocket at Ridgeland, S.C...just north of Savannah. There will more than likely, be a Rocket or two at the Triple Tree fly-in on Sept 8th-11th.

Best,

Pierre

Thanks for the information on triple tree. I wasnt planning on going but it sounds like I might need to rearrange my schedule. I guess im an old fashion type guy I like my paper charts. Im always asking myself "what if" while I am flying in the air. I agree if I solely used my ipad it would keep my necessities to a minimum but I just like having easy access to my charts, flight bag, handheld radio, etc just in case.

I have read lots of details regarding the F1 and the Harmon Rocket and personally I like the Harmon better. Nothing against the F1, just my personal preference.

I dont mind flying an hour or so to check one out if its available.

Last edited:
I don't think there is enough size difference between a Harmon and an F1 to make much difference; either way, I plan to drop by Triple Tree on Saturday early. Won't stay much past noon I don't think, since I'm helping friends with their RV-8 build most weekends, but if you're around and would like to try it on for size, mine is solid blue.

Regards,

Lee...

Why the choice

Jason,

Just out of curiosity.

Is there a reason you liked the harmon more than the F1. I am looking at this choice as well.

The Harmon is a more work and more for the experienced builder where as the F1 which is undergoing resirection soon seemed a little bit more friendly to someone who hasn't built 3 aircraft before.

what made you like on over the other?

Lee - Thanks for the offer. I'm trying to rearrange my schedule and if I can make it work, I will be at Triple Tree Saturday morning and I will definately take you up on your offer just as a comparison!

Gus - For me, I don't have the luxury of having the time to actually build one, so whichever RV I decide to get, I will purchase it used instead of building a new one. When I was doing research on the differences between a Harmon Rocket and an F1, I personally decided on the Harmon Rocket because it appears most people that build this airplane are multi-plane builders (they average 2.73 builds before the Harmon).

You are correct that the Harmon Rocket is a complete slow build kit and the F1 is partially a quickbuild kit. The Rocket was built on a tried and true platform that Van had already proven for multiple years. From my understanding the F1 parts are mostly manufactured in the Czech Republic and is designed based on the RV platform, but doesn't actually use many of the Van tested parts.

If I was going to build one, I would probably go with the F1 since it would be a quicker build (in theory), but since I will be purchasing one already completed, I am opting for the Harmon. In my mind I feel like I will get a better quality product because it was probably built by a multi-plane builder (but not always, so do your homework).

I'm not knocking the F1 at all, I personally think it is a fantastic aircraft, but I have decided for me I would prefer to go with the Harmon.

Jason

Back