What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torquing elevator and rudder attach bolts

Draker

Well Known Member
Any tips on how to properly torque the bolts to the rod ends that attach the elevators and rudder to the HS and VS? That is a very tight space, and my smallest torque wrench +socket just won't fit in there. Crowfoot not long enough either. Thinking about welding a socket to the end of a box end wrench, to make a long crowfoot, but I'd rather do something that doesn't involve modifying my tools. I suppose I could always buy this, but seems like a shame to drop $20 on a tool I'll use once.

Try a Handee clamp. Still about $20, but it will hold a nut nicely. I have a small box wrench that fits one end of the bolt / nut pairing, and the handee clamp holds the screw tightly until the threads are engaged.

Perfection = Enemy of Good...

These are AN3 bolts with the load in shear. You should be able to snug them up to "titenuf" using your normal 3/8" wrenches (or 3/8 & 1/4 if using MS21042 nuts...)

Don't get wrapped around the axle trying to find a torque wrench adapter for this.

Take the wrench you're using to get at the nut. Attach a fish scale to the other end, and pull perpendicular to the wrench. Torque is the pounds on the fish scale times the distance between the nut and the fish scale attach hook. Biggest problem is the very limited throw length on the wrench. Remember you want to set "running" torque (and subtract out the drag of the lock nut).

Back