What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint

mags591

Hey Guys,
Two part question here.

1) Does anyone have a blank template that they use with the RV12 to design a paint scheme?

2) Any good websites / videos out there that show how to paint multi-colors and lines on an aircraft.

My scenario is this. I have my kit ordered and will be beginning my build in the next couple months. I am building it in my garage and want to paint it on my own as well. I figured since I don't have a paint booth, it would most likely be easiest to paint as I build since the pieces will be smaller, but I don't really know to much about going about it other than if I were to paint it a single color. I'm not sure how exactly to tape off the lines or if I could just paint the whole plane, say white, and then once it is assembled, go back and paint my stripes over top of the white.

Thanks

All one color

Hey Guys,
Two part question here.

1) Does anyone have a blank template that they use with the RV12 to design a paint scheme?

2) Any good websites / videos out there that show how to paint multi-colors and lines on an aircraft.

My scenario is this. I have my kit ordered and will be beginning my build in the next couple months. I am building it in my garage and want to paint it on my own as well. I figured since I don't have a paint booth, it would most likely be easiest to paint as I build since the pieces will be smaller, but I don't really know to much about going about it other than if I were to paint it a single color. I'm not sure how exactly to tape off the lines or if I could just paint the whole plane, say white, and then once it is assembled, go back and paint my stripes over top of the white.

Thanks
If you have to paint as you go, paint all one color then apply vinyl or paint accents after assembly. Best start practicing on some scrap. Painting is like anything else we do. It takes time to learn and requires practice.

The other issue is variation in color between batches. Not so big a problem with white but colors from one can to the next can vary even if the same paint code is used. Buying a large quantity would help but paint has a shelf life.

Normally airplanes are taped off and colors applied rather than colors over a base coat. It saves weight. Difficult to get right if painting as you go.

Buy some paint, gun, supplies and have some fun. It really is rewarding.

If you have to paint as you go, paint all one color then apply vinyl or paint accents after assembly. Best start practicing on some scrap. Painting is like anything else we do. It takes time to learn and requires practice.

The other issue is variation in color between batches. Not so big a problem with white but colors from one can to the next can vary even if the same paint code is used. Buying a large quantity would help but paint has a shelf life.

Normally airplanes are taped off and colors applied rather than colors over a base coat. It saves weight. Difficult to get right if painting as you go.

Buy some paint, gun, supplies and have some fun. It really is rewarding.
That's what I was thinking. Might be easier to paint it all one color and then go back and paint the accent color once its completed.

Are there any issues with the accent colors mating to the already painted white surfaces, or would you just need to scuff it so that it attaches well?

Are there any issues with the accent colors mating to the already painted white surfaces, or would you just need to scuff it so that it attaches well?

You will get a better (chemical) bond if you spray the accents over the base coat when the base coat is still chemically reactive, but scuff and shoot works just fine in most cases.

Good on you for planning to do it yourself, it's very satisfying and is fun to think about how it is going to look.
It's worth considering leaving all the painting to the end, rather than as you go. You can still paint the pieces individually. This is because there is quite a bit of set up and take down and clean up each time you paint, particularly with 2-pack top coats. There will be less wastage because of the products pot life and shelf life limitations.
Even if you're painting in the garage, there will need to be some sort of improvised paint booth (poly sheeting etc.) otherwise the overspray will go everywhere on your tools, parts, floor etc. (I know! :() This is another reason to leave final painting to the end, assuming there is not enough space to leave the booth set up for the duration of the build.

Back