What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 Engine Mount Nuts - How to tighten?

kovacjd

Sponsor
I'm ready to hang the engine, but before proceeding, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to tighten and torque the nut on the upper left side. What special or modified tool is used?

Socket, wrench, crowsfoot...none of them are close to fitting in this tight spot.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Upper Left Torque.jpg
    Upper Left Torque.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 362
  • Upper Left.jpg
    Upper Left.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 389
Time to sacrifice a tool to the Lycoming gods....grind on a box-end wrench until it fits in there, and you might have to put the torque on the bolt head instead of the nut (figure out the additional torque due to drag, etc).

It’s also not all that hard to take the pushrod tube off if you really wanted to - but I never have, for that purpose....

What Paul alluded to -- in pictures.

It's not suitable to torque the nut, but it will hold it in place while you crank in the torque on the bolt head.

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 367
Yep ... cheap wrench meet Mr. grinder.

I did use a Flare Nut Spanner as the sacrificial tool. It grips a little further around the nut and seemed to work well.

Thanks for the feedback and pictures.

I acquired a 12-pt box wrench, hit it with the grinder and now have good access to hold the nut.

Glad the solution was so simple. For some reason, it didn't' come to my mind to do this. Needed the collective brains of VAF...

Kind Regards.

you might have to put the torque on the bolt head instead of the nut (figure out the additional torque due to drag, etc)..

I've seen tables in the past where K factor was tabulated based on nut vs bolt torque. Where might one find such for engine mount bolts?

Josh,
I DITO on previous posts.
Something that will help with torquing via the bolt is a digital torque adapter. It will give an accurate measure of the drag, and final torque. If you lube the grip that will help reduce the drag and gauling. I test turn the bolt a full revolution to check for torque spiking.
Be sure to degrease the threads before installing the nut.
Here is a link to a torque adaptor: https://www.skygeek.com/ats-23154-t...ogle&msclkid=b8b487b4c09b1257217de7d8b022890a
There are many sources for these.
Cheers!

Back