What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Intercom?

It adds:
- Capability to switch between two radios (requires a single toggle switch to select the transmit radio).
- Ability to monitor a second radio.
- NAV audio output.
- Intercom
- Audio feed from the SkyView for warnings, AOA indications, EMS alarms, etc. The audio AOA indication is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
- Stereo music input (I listen to my Carly Simon library each cross country).

Carl

For its price, it's a good value, but in addition to wiring in a toggle switch to select the transmit radio, you really need (in my opinion) to wire in another DPDT switch so you can listen to COM1 only, COM2 only or both. I've done this and it really improved the experience because otherwise, you're turning the volume dials up and down on the coms themselves.

a different opinion

For its price, it's a good value, but in addition to wiring in a toggle switch to select the transmit radio, you really need (in my opinion) to wire in another DPDT switch so you can listen to COM1 only, COM2 only or both. I've done this and it really improved the experience because otherwise, you're turning the volume dials up and down on the coms themselves.

I have a home-built intercom, but it works similarly to the Dynon - one switch for the TX feed, manipulate the volume controls for the RX. In practice, I use #1 99% of the time for TX, and #2 for monitoring ATIS, or 121.5, or some other frequency, etc., and turning it 'on and off' with its volume control is easier than finding the tiny select buttons on some audio panels. That reminds me - I need to test #2 transmit. I use it so seldom it might have failed months ago.

Intercom

Hey RocketDoc,

If your interested I have a new out of box SV-Intercom-2S I purchased from another member and I went in another direction. If your interested I will let it go for $200 shipped. It is a horizontal unit which may be not what you need.

Thanks,
-Joe

Schematic

Any chance of a schematic and switch part numbers?

Trying to decide if I need the SV-INTERCOM-2S in my panel. What does it add?

I went for the full Dynon avionic suite. The Dynon intercom unit combines all the sound outputs from the Dynon HDX, the remote radio, and other sound sources and output them to the pilot and copilot. Without the INTERCOM unit, I am not sure how the pilot and copilot can hear the radio with the Dynon radio setup. The Dynon HDX warnings including the bootup voice are also fed through the INTERCOM. There are also allowance for two COM sources. I only have one radio so the 2nd COM source isn't wired. There is a copilot PTT lockout if the pilot PTT is active. There is one input jack for other external device (music?). I am sure there are other features I miss but this is my first time attempt at wiring, and connecting anything this complicated.

Other note regarding the physical unit: the intercom unit extends about 4 inches back from the panel, and the wiring loom extends another inch past the connectors so you need to plan carefully. The most complicated about wiring this is to plan out all the soldering of the ground connections and to make sure they aren't cramped inside the small connector housing. I made two attempts at the wiring before getting it to talk correctly.

I went for the full Dynon avionic suite. The Dynon intercom unit combines all the sound outputs from the Dynon HDX, the remote radio, and other sound sources and output them to the pilot and copilot. Without the INTERCOM unit, I am not sure how the pilot and copilot can hear the radio with the Dynon radio setup. The Dynon HDX warnings including the bootup voice are also fed through the INTERCOM. There are also allowance for two COM sources. I only have one radio so the 2nd COM source isn't wired. There is a copilot PTT lockout if the pilot PTT is active. There is one input jack for other external device (music?). I am sure there are other features I miss but this is my first time attempt at wiring, and connecting anything this complicated.

Other note regarding the physical unit: the intercom unit extends about 4 inches back from the panel, and the wiring loom extends another inch past the connectors so you need to plan carefully. The most complicated about wiring this is to plan out all the soldering of the ground connections and to make sure they aren't cramped inside the small connector housing. I made two attempts at the wiring before getting it to talk correctly.

I'm sold. Intercom it is. I have taken note of our ground warning.

I also would like some more info on the switch as I'm installing a Garmin GTR-200 com/intercom as a stand alone com 2. I don't like putting 4 extra head set plugs in.

I also would like some more info on the switch as I'm installing a Garmin GTR-200 com/intercom as a stand alone com 2. I don't like putting 4 extra head set plugs in.

Get the Dynon radio instead of the GTR-200. I find the Dynon radio to be far superior to the GTR-200 after ferrying an RV-14 that had that as Comm #2. Comm #1 was a GTN-650.

Carl

Any chance of a schematic and switch part numbers?

Whoops, just seeing this. As I recall, I bought a DPDT On/On/On switch which I had to source from a guitar parts vendor. I believe it was this one: https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/mini-toggle-switches.html. Basically, the stereo outputs of each com are connected to the outer switch connections and the stereo inputs to the intercom were connected to the inner two connections. What this does is when the switch is placed in the middle position, it allows audio from both coms to feed into the intercom. When the switch is placed in either of the other two positions, it feeds audio from only one com into the intercom. Make sense?

The only negative to my scheme is that you have to make sure that your transmit switch matches your audio switch (or in the both position) else you can find yourself transmitting on one com and listening on the other. That can lead to embarrassment or worse. I've done it once so far. :p

Thanks Carl but already have it mounted just , My GRT horizon 10.1 can't use the GTR-200 because of GTR-200 SW, just got it for a stand alone Com/ intercom backup. The Garmin GTR-200 is also an intercom so I needed both as a backup. Dynon's coms only work on the SkyViews so couldn't those. I hope I didn't make a big mistake on the 200, already found the shell for the wire connectors is something I didn't like. Don't know who would designed that.

Will this work?

I have been following this thread and thinking about this. I am a ways away from needing this as I am working on slow build RV-14. I am a retired airline and retired fighter pilot.
Will it work to wire a second push to talk switch on the stick? So com 1 transmit would be the trigger and com 2 transmit would be a seldom used lower pinky switch on the stick. No panel switches, simple Dynon intercom, volume control on individual radios. In fighters, it was a 2 position mic switch, down for com 1 up for com 2.
My plan for the stick is: cooly hat trim switch, com 1 transmit on trigger, com 2 transmit on lower pinky push to talk, and autopilot disconnect on thumb switch.
Having very little general aviation experience, is this workable? Practical? Not overly complex for wiring?

You still need a switch to transfer the mic input from Comm #1 to Comm #2. A simple DPDT toggle switch on the panel is the simple way to switch both mic and PTT inputs.

Use the extra stick switch to toggle between the active and standby freq on Comm #1.

Carl

Trying to decide if I need the SV-INTERCOM-2S in my panel. What does it add?

If you have a single Dynon com radio, this intercom is a nice inexpensive unit to install. But if you have two radios, I don't think you will be happy with the hassles of managing both radios from this intercom by adding external switching.

I am considering adding a second radio in my RV8, by installing the PS Engineering PAR-200B audio panel/com (I think they use the same remote Trig transceiver as the Dynon radio), and eliminating the Dynon intercom. I will admit that running a second Dynon through the Dynon intercom is probably the least expensive alternative.

Back