What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I completed the SB-00027 RV-14A nose gear modification today

Amazon-1

I expected this to be worse then it turned out to be. I would say the total time (including removing/reinstalling the cowling) was < 2 hours. I had one helper which made the job much easier but I think I could have done it by myself in a pinch.

Key ideas:

I weighed down the tail with two buckets of landscaping pebbles to take the weight of the nose gear. I then completely removed the nose gear leg to do the cuts. This required a small amount of effort to move the exhaust out of the way.

I used a 7/8" bimetal hole cutter from Milwaukee Tools to do most of the cutting. I used a Rockwell F80 oscillating tool to straighten the edges and a Dremel tool with a rotary sanding head to clean it all up.

I used both the bigger washer and the heavier duty cup on top of the shock absorber though I couldn't tell the difference between the old cup and the new one (other than the $25 it cost me to buy the new one from Van's).

I properly annotated my aircraft log book to reflect that the SB was complete.

New cup is hardened

Amazon-1 Quote > ". . . difference between the old cup and the new one . . ."

I saw somewhere that the new cup is the same in every way but that it is hardened.

I did it today the same way. Didn’t get the new cup just used the new washer. I did the gear mod off the plane. I’m impressed with those that did it swung down on the plane. I found it much easier off and leg in a vice.

Also took the opportunity to clean and regrease the bearing sleeves for the gear and to add a washer above the shock donuts since I had the little gap described in the plans.

Torquing the nut on top of the gear is tough with the oil filter on. Used a couple of universals to get it there.

Last edited:
Torquing the nut on top of the gear is tough with the oil filter on. Used a couple of universals to get it there.

Much easier with the oil filter off, but doable with it on. Use a long socket extension.

Wobble extension

I completed mine last week. I found a “wobble extension“ very handy to add a little off set / angle.

Measure carefully...

I too just completed the SB but could not get either of two hole saws to cut through the steel. I ended up just using a dremel cut off wheel and grinding tips to get the job done. I did remove the strut from the airplane.

However, there is a problem with the dimensions stated in the SB. The opening to be created in the U-1406 nose gear leg is to allow the U-1416 nose gear link assembly to fit into that opening in the event of an off airport landing where the nose gear folds back under the fuselage.

When I measured the diameter of the U-1416, it showed 1.025 inches. But the SB shows the width of the slot to be 15/16 plus or minus 1/16. So the maximum width allowed is less than the diameter of the part that is supposed to slide into it. Maybe this is due to the thickness of powder coating?

I have a msg into Scott about it but have not heard back. I opted to set the slot width slightly larger than in the SB so as to accommodate the actual diameter of the U-1416 link assembly.

Van’s has my replacement U-01420-1 on back order. I would like to put my 14 back together and was wandering if the larger washer was anything special other than one inch in diameter with a 3/8” hole? Van’s is so busy I hate bothering them. Any reason I could just drill open to 3/8” a large diameter AN washer?

Back