What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Annual KC Flight Formation Clinic

Geico266

Well Known Member
The first KC Flight formation clinic was held this weekend in Lee's Summit, MO. The organization and professionalism could not have been better. The FBO was more than accommodating, and the onsite BBQ (included!) was unbelievably good and appreciated by all. EAA Chapter 91 had hangar space for all participating aircraft. It was was needed as storms rolled through the area this afternoon and evening. We got a lot of flying in, not as much as we had hoped, but tomorrow is another day!

Another first (we think) was achieved this weekend by offering formal formation training to RV-12 owners.

KC_Flight__Small_.jpg

Thank you KC Flight for the opportunity! A special thanks to Hot Dog & Yobo for taking the patience, time, & training Saturday, and Boomer & Ollie for Sunday's sortie.

Last edited:
KC Formation Clinic

I think there is an imposter among us. I don't know anyone named Geico but there is a guy with a really nice RV-8 (fastback & tilt canopy) that isn't half bad at formation but his call sign is DETOUR. So will the real Larry Geiger please stand up!

Great training, everyone was very motivated. Brought one of our wingmen from St. Louis, Rob Schneider RV-4, and by the end of the weekend (even with all the rain) he is ready to jump all in and be a regular at formation events. I had good reports about him from the KC group guys and he is a hoot to fly with. When all the guys at the clinic are so motivated it really makes for a good time.

Another first for me- got to ride along as a safety pilot in an RV-12. There was 3 of them at the clinic and I think we will start seeing more of them at future events. The RV-12 is quite a nice airplane to fly. Not as fast as I'm used to but it's all RV and flies just like the rest of them. Thanks for the stick time Tom!

I make it a point to go fly with the KC guys as much as I can (not enough) and as usual their hospitality is first rate and they are a fun group to hang out with. After a couple adult beverages, BeeGee, Ripper, Yobo and Boomer turn into quite the storytellers. Another great event, more formation flying and lot's of RVs definitely makes for a good weekend.

And did you hear the one about scud running to get back to St. Louis (VFR of course!)? Maybe another time......

Oly

Last edited:
I think there is an imposter among us. I don't know anyone named Geico but there is a guy with a really nice RV-8 (fastback & tilt canopy) that isn't half bad at formation but his call sign is DETOUR. So will the real Larry Geiger please stand up!

Great training, everyone was very motivated. Brought one of our wingmen from St. Louis, Rob Schneider RV-4, and by the end of the weekend (even with all the rain) he is ready to jump all in and be a regular at formation events. I had good reports about him from the KC group guys and he is a hoot to fly with. When all the guys at the clinic are so motivated it really makes for a good time.

Another first for me- got to ride along as a safety pilot in an RV-12. There was 3 of them at the clinic and I think we will start seeing more of them at future events. The RV-12 is quite a nice airplane to fly. Not as fast as I'm used to but it's all RV and flies just like the rest of them. Thanks for the stick time Tom!

I make it a point to go fly with the KC guys as much as I can (not enough) and as usual their hospitality is first rate and they are a fun group to hang out with. After a couple adult beverages, BeeGee, Ripper, Yobo and Boomer turn into quite the storytellers. Another great event, more formation flying and lot's of RVs definitely makes for a good weekend.

And did you hear the one about scud running to get back to St. Louis (VFR of course!)? Maybe another time......

Oly

A good time was had by all even it the WX didn't cooperate.

BG, what was that about one of the RV-12's getting a bird strike?

It was an RV4 not 12. No damage except to the bird. Wing strike.

Last edited:
Ah bill

That was a setup.

The joke was supposed to an RV-12 got a bird strike.

Not sure if it was in the front or the rear.

:D

birdstrike

Hearing that an RV got a birdstrike from the rear is a first.. ;P Great setup though.... Kudo's to those of you who attend classes for formation.
Best,
Brian

Back