What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vibration in Passenger Side Floor

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey -working my way through all my items during phase 1 and I recently discorvered one that has be a bit stumped.

The other day I decided to stretch out and place my right foot on the passenger side. I noticed that there was significantly more "buzz" on the passenger side than the pilot side.

The intensity of the vibration does appear to vary a bit with the engine speed - however, at all engine speeds, the buzz is much more pronounced on the passenger side.

Yesterday, I pulled the cowel to see if anything was amiss. I did notice that the exhaust was hanging a bit lower on the passenger side. I messed around with the exhaust hangers a bit and now they are pretty much symeterical.

I went flying this morning, and while the buzz seems a bit reduced, there is still quite a bit more vibration in the floor of the passenger side than the pilot side.

Has anyone else ran across this and do you have any suggestions on what I should look at tweaking to minimize the passenger floor buzzing?

Thanks,
Jason

My second flight in my 7 scared the poo out of me when I finally relaxed enough to put my heels on the floor. I thought the engine was about to come off.

I came around and landed immediately.

Turns out this is normal for RV's. My local RV buddies got a kick out of my reaction.

Exhaust?

I had the same problem on my RV8. It was very pronounced. After some experimenting I found that it was exhaust pulses pounding on the floor. I re-configured the exhaust pipes so that they pointed as down as possible. This took care of the problem.

I had the same problem on my RV8. It was very pronounced. After some experimenting I found that it was exhaust pulses pounding on the floor.

The RV-8 in my avatar does this too, it has the 4-pipe exhaust pipes that exit pretty much straight backwards and it rattles the floor. My old Cherokee did it pretty noticeable too, since the single tailpipe exhaust was right in front of the passenger side floorboard. My RV-6 doesn't do it, since it has 4-into-2 pipes that have a good turn-down curve at the outlet end of the pipes.

I had strong vibs as well

On my RV-8a. Was so bad a line crack formed on the plate above the pipe tips. Solution: I bought some pipe extensions from Vettman. Went on easy, look good, reduced the loud a little, reduced vibs through the floor a bunch, cleaner belly and no more cracks. Worked for me, best of luck, Bill

When I get bored when riding in my buddy's RV-6, I start quietly lifting my feet and setting them back down. It never fails to get him shouting at me to "Knock it the &^$^&% off!!!" By the time the shouting starts, I'm usually laughing out loud from the puzzled looks on his face.

When I get bored when riding in my buddy's RV-6, I start quietly lifting my feet and setting them back down. It never fails to get him shouting at me to "Knock it the &^$^&% off!!!" By the time the shouting starts, I'm usually laughing out loud from the puzzled looks on his face.

That is funny. When riding in the back seat of a Bonanza with a buddy flying, we slide the seat back and forth to mess with the trim. We get the same reaction :D

floor vibration

Hey -working my way through all my items during phase 1 and I recently discorvered one that has be a bit stumped.

The other day I decided to stretch out and place my right foot on the passenger side. I noticed that there was significantly more "buzz" on the passenger side than the pilot side.

The intensity of the vibration does appear to vary a bit with the engine speed - however, at all engine speeds, the buzz is much more pronounced on the passenger side.

Yesterday, I pulled the cowel to see if anything was amiss. I did notice that the exhaust was hanging a bit lower on the passenger side. I messed around with the exhaust hangers a bit and now they are pretty much symeterical.

I went flying this morning, and while the buzz seems a bit reduced, there is still quite a bit more vibration in the floor of the passenger side than the pilot side.

Has anyone else ran across this and do you have any suggestions on what I should look at tweaking to minimize the passenger floor buzzing?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

I'm 25 hours into phase 1 and noticed the same issues with increased vibration on the right floor. I have a 7A, Lycoming 0-360, Sensenich fixed pitch. It's rpm related. Less than 2350 rpm there''s no vibration. 2400 and greater and the vibration is more than I'm comfortable with. I have the bends set to give me maximum pointing down. Was it suggested that I can add another small Vetterman piece on the ends to point the exhaust downward even more?

thanks,
Jim Diehl #1976 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

I put 3/4" thick high density closed cell foam on the floor on either side of the tunnel and carpet over the entire floor. I also put some 3/8" stuff to sandwich the tubing in the tunnel. Never was an issue for me.

Roberta

Back