What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight helmets usage

Dragonfly

Just wondered on what everyones opinion of flight helmets was?

Obviously with ex military equipment it is a compromise, jet helmets are really just a "bump" helmet whereas heli are better but bulky.

Just wondered if there was a good lightweight, small helmet with good comms that didnt compromise on safety (guess it would have to be stylise also) if folks would were them or not? What particular features would people be after?

David Clark makes a nice helmet that allows you to snap in a regular DC headset. It is pretty light weight and has a snap on visor as well. I am using one during my aerobatic testing in phase one and will be selling it once I get done with phase one in case anyone out there might be interested down the road...
I believe Aircraft Spruce sells it.
It is my opinion that a parachute does you no good if you are not wearing a helmet since you have a good chance of banging your head on something on your way out of a broken aircraft...

Peltor or Gallet

20050919153900.jpg

I use one of these for work. It's a Peltor motorsports helmet adapted for aviation use. It's very light weight and strong (same impact rating as a helicopter helmet) with a nomex liner and comm earcups already installed. I use one with the peak visor as pictured above, but you can also get a pull down visor for it as pictured below. It's about half the cost of a Gallet, which would probably be my first choice if I was flush. Planning on a Gallet as my primary next season, then the Peltor will become a backup.

t_5113wv%20sm.jpg

watch your headroom

I had planned on using a helo helmet I use at work for my phase one work, but after ordering the wiring adapter I tried it in my plane and found that it hit the canope. I'd have to fly in a stoop. I thought OregonAero was working on a civilian helmet, but haven't heard anything recently about it.

What are most of the guys flying the Red Bull races wearing? They look low profile, tight, and light. Don't look to be HGU-55 style as the ear areas are bulged.

What are most of the guys flying the Red Bull races wearing? They look low profile, tight, and light. Don't look to be HGU-55 style as the ear areas are bulged.

I believe most of the Red Bull race pilots are wearing the Gallet LS 050 helmet. It has a pretty low profile with just the stock internal visor. Nice helmet.

Helmet or not?

I think its important to figure out why you would wear a helmet. In Sean Tucker's case, completely see the rationale. In an RV 6/7/9 and maybe 8, I'm not so sure. The issue is being able to bailout. I believe there have not been any documented bailouts of SBS RVs, with the conjecture that opening the canopy in flight is difficult. Clearly difficult to get much evidence. Most helmets I have worn have compromised the noise attenuation or are quite uncomfortable, except for those that are really $$$. Of course your head is difficult to fix, but if you can't bail out then the only risk is a take-off/landing accident, is it worth it? I don't wear a chute or helmet when cruising around. Although I am thinking of getting a hard shell cycling helmet to use with a Halo headset in another airplane that I will be wearing a chute in.

Pete

I'l wear an HGU-55 on occasion and it's not the protection from a bailout that I'm really concerned about. Up here in the Pacific NW, we have some really big birds and seeing eagles pass by isn't unheard of. The helmet/visor is more to offer some sort of protection in event ot bird strike of off-airport landing (yes, I know the -55 isn't designed for impacts), but it's better than just a set of headsets. Asisde from that, a set of ANR Inc. noise reduction earcups in the hard shell really does a nice job at reducing ambient noise.

That Peltor Helmet looks slick

I can't find the Peltor helmet with the retractable visor on the internet. How much do those things cost and where can you get them?
Thanks,

I can't find the Peltor helmet with the retractable visor on the internet. How much do those things cost and where can you get them?
Thanks,

Steve,

Do you want it for airplane use or is it to prevent that drill you have to your head from making a hole?

Thanks,

Hi Steve,

I got my helmet here: http://www.tigerperformance.com But, dog-gone-it! They aren't importing the helmet at this time because 3M bought out Peltors' parent company and I understand they're in the process of recertifying these helmets. They will supposedly be available again when 3M is done with that (who knows how long that will take).

I spent a little over a thousand dollars for my Peltor. That includes a Headsets Inc. ANR helmet package, Oregon Aero SoftSeal ear cushions, and a military wire style mic that I installed myself. The retractable visor will bump the price up a couple of hundred dollars.

Personally, I think the MSA Gallet LS 050 would be better suited for tight canopied aircraft like the RV. You're less likely to damage the canopy if you bang your head on it too. Gonna spend more though.

I tried to resist

All this talk about helmets-----

Sorry, I just couldnt resist posting a buddy in his "non RV" :D

DSC05014.jpg

Room?

My head is pretty close to the canopy of my RV6 without a helmet. Not sure that I'd have room for one if I wanted to. What are other folks' experience?
Jim Sharkey

Thanks for the info

Guys,
Thanks for the info on the Peltor Helmets. I found the Peltor and the Sube Sport sights, but I cannot find any reference to the cool retractable visor assembly. Any leads? Oh and by the way, I don't need a helmet to protect my head from the drill bit. As my wife points out, my head is full of rocks and that is not a masonry bit.

UK AAIB Report

I have just bought (not cheap!) an Alpha, including ANR, for RV / Extra / Jet Provost / Yak-52 use. I like the safety aspect, but principally good noise protection and visor, under 'g' etc.

Andy

I reverted to a standard "soft" cover to reduce the space taken up, and so should avoid any scratching issues.

Re RV6 - yes I flew with the helmet in one a week ago, and clearance was low. Clearly can be solved via seat height / helmet type, but needs to be considered.

Summary to me is a helmet is clearly "safer", can provide better optics / audio especially under 'g' / manoeuvring, but "how much" better, and whether it suits you... who knows. In short, any helmet will be better than none, whether a top of the range aviaiton one, or an old motorbike one!

Andy

Gentex-Military standard

Both I and several hundred MAF & JAARS pilots have worn Gentex helmets for decades. (ala HGU 55, etc)

They are an industry standard and can be custom fitted and noise canceling is available option with multiple setups for lenses. I paid about $600 for mine in 1993. I believe they are in the $1100 range now.

Contrary to some beliefs and even some articles we (MAF & JAARS) did extensive testing and found the helmets to be invaluable in a crash. Also other than the fact they are a bit heavy, mine was custom fitted and fit's like a glove. I've worn mine approximately 3,000 hours of flight so I speak from experience.

As far as the noise attenuation thing, I found that the helmet only dampened some of the frequencies, which IMHO is a positive. After you fly "your" plane you will get to know it like your car and will notice slight differences in sounds, vibrations and handling characteristics with or without a helmet.

Also, when wearing a helmet you need a skull cap, which is like a t-shirt on hot days, keeping your head from sticking to the liner.

Used to come from Flight Suits Limited (where I bought mine) which is now Gibson & Barnes.

Here's the link: Gentex helmet page

FWIW it's the helmet I'm wearing in my avatar.

Last edited:
Ditto on The Gentex

There is nothing more satisfying than putting on a parachute, a real fighter helmet and going up for a session of yank and bank in an RV8. I love it.

The safety, comfort, great noise attenuation, great speakers and mic in my HGU-55 are just the gravy.

For now I don't intend to use a helmet all the time but do during Phase 1, and I'm also concerned with having a bird come through the canopy. An alternative to the more expensive flying specific helmets is going with a sleek and light weight skydiving helmet and an in-ear headset like the Halo. Obviously for bird protection some good eye protection is still needed. To me it becomes more modular: Deciding not to wear the helmet doesn't eliminate the headset or eye protection.

Here's an example of a helmet, price $210. http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/guner.htm

Back