What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fishing Place?

lluciani

I have an 9 year old daughter who loves to fish. We would like to go somewhere in our RV8 where we can land, walk a reasonable distance and then fish. Does anyone know of such a place within an hour or so of Houston? Thanks.

Mustang Beach (KRAS) - if you like saltwater fishing.

For a little more enjoyment, call Dean Thomas a day early at Slowride Guide Service.

http://www.slowrideguide.com/
361-758-0463

Tell him you're coming in to the Mustang Beach airport and that you're intrested in renting a kayak. He'll bring a kayak to you and the two of you can go paddling in a tandem kayak and go fishing in the bay. Very nice water there!

Phil

Hilltop lakes (0TE4) has 5 lakes (Bass and crappie for sure), with two or three lakes very close to the runway. Check out www.hilltoplakesproperties.com. You also have a resturant when you get hungry. The lakes are for property owners and their guests, but if you are asked, you can tell them you are my guest. I have not looked into it, but if you need a "permision slip" of some kind, I would be more than happy to get it for you.

Thanks and I really appreciate the offer for a permission slip. I have been to Hilltop Lakes recently but I didn't know you can fish there. The folks there were really nice. A lady there who I think was an officer in the homeowners association gave us a ride from the airport to the restaurant even though it isn't a very long walk.

Also, thanks Phil on the tip about Mustang Beach. Fishing from a kayak looks like a lot of fun. I will certainly try it. I hope I have coolness under adversity down enough to ignore a big fish flopping over my feet while keeping the kayak upright.

Now back to an RV relevant question: has anyone built a smelly fish carrier that goes in the tail cone of an RV8? Just kidding. Thanks.

Absolutely no chance of you flipping a kayak.

Besides, the water in that area is only 1-2 ft deep. If you want a really good time, get Dean to give you a guided kayak/fishing trip through the Lighthouse Lakes or Brown & Root flats. Beautiful sights and nice fish to be caught too..

Phil

Fly in fishing

Another great place to go for a day trip or overnight is Gaston's in N. Arkansas. Don B

KGLS Galveston

is a 20 minute flight. Walking distance - Lone Star Flight Museum, Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, and surf fishing. Guide services are also available (most furnish everything) and will pick you up at the airport.

Have Fun!

Another great place to go for a day trip or overnight is Gaston's in N. Arkansas. Don B

And they (Gaston's) have a nice grass strip. If you don't want to fly into Gastons, go into Ozark Regional (KBPK). Gaston's will send a van over to get you.

Back