What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO 360 core pricing

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
I have an opportunity to buy a 2900 TT engine from a friend who is looking to sell his existing case, cylinders and internals on his flying Glasair II. Basically a core. He keeps the accessories. He also has a rear facing fuel servo so we’ll swap the sumps when his new engine comes in from the builder, Barrett I believe. Question is what is a fair price for a stripped core. I will have another local shop tear down, yellow tag all parts and reassemble. I will provide the new accessories and FI system. I see mid-time flying engines on barnstormers for 15-20K so I’m thinking 5000 max for a solid core. High/low. Thoughts?

Thanks

Be sure to inspect the crankshaft per Lycoming SB505B regarding corrosion. A new crank can run 6K or more, and serviceable units are becoming scarce. Even if the crank is stamped "PID", I would pull the plug and inspect.

The SB applies to hollow crankshafts with F/P props, however your engine may have been plugged at some point then converted to C/S. Regardless of whether you are currently running a C/S prop. The problem is pitting caused by moisture inside the crankshaft. The most susceptible engines are plugged cranks installed on tricycle gear aircraft. Don't however rule out corrosion on a C/S setup especially if it has been sitting. The procedure is to polish out the pitting and then measure ID. The "PID" stamped on the flange indicates the inside of the crank was treated with a corrosion inhibitor of some type, usually an epoxy primer. I have however found severe corrosion on both F/P & C/S "PID" cranks. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Last edited:
One thing to think about is that many (most?) core engines are sold with a guaranteed case and crank. The guarantee is that the items are rebuildable by the appropriate shop. If not, the seller must provide a replacement crank or case.

If you don't get that guarantee, you need to discount the price appropriately.

Hold back the money on the case and crank

Work out the deal so that you only pay the full amount it the case and crank come back from inspection with yellow tags.

Otherwise you're out a bunch of money.

Aircraft Specialties in Kansas should inspect all the steel parts.

core value

When I bought a rebuilt O540 from an Engine Rebuild shop they gave me $10,000 credit for the core, if the crank and case checked out. Zero if not. Luckily when they checked the core and crank were useable so I received the full credit. $10K max, subject to inspection.

Is it a bad case?

I was told by Divco they could repair and certify a case with a big hole in it
as long as you had all the pieces. What are the chances of finding all of them !!

The other good thing about Divco and Aircraft Specialties is you can send a case with a crank in it and they will remove the crank and walk it over to Divco for the rest of the work. Saves in shipping..

I have no connection with either.....John

Back