What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you guess what this tool is for?

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I came up with very handy tool today. Can you guess what it is for?

I will post the answer tomorrow (Sunday) evening.

Give it your best guess.

You guessed it right

I had a battery issue and had to the pull the battery. When I installed the battery (replaced first one after 4 years of flying) it was a pain to get the old one out and the new one in. This is on my RV-7A with dual impulse coupled mags, battery is mounted on the firewall per van's instructions. I even remember almost getting my fingers caught while trying to support the battery through the lightening holes in the battery box.

Handle-with-Battery1.jpg

I really dread taking the bottom cowl off to gain access to getting the battery out. The PC680 batteries are 15 lbs and aren't the easiest to wangle past the mount tubes, hoses and mag harness so I thought about it for a while can spent about 15 minutes in the shop and came up with this.

It worked great. After removing screws and moving some hoses and wires I installed the handle and lifted that battery right out. Installation was a breeze as well.

I tested this on my old PC680 (still held 12V after sitting on the shelf for 12 months) before I used it on a good battery. No issues.
I wouldn't carry the battery around the shop with this but for installation and removal I would use it again.

I hope someone will benefit from this.

Battery Handle-Every shop should have it

Folks, This is sort of a repost for those who haven't see this great useful tool.

My 3rd PC680 battery died the other day and I had to replace it. I used the tool in the photo and it worked great. Inevitably your PC680 will fail and you will need to extract and install it through the jungle of wires/hoses and other offending obstacles in your way. Don't sweat it and build on of these. You will be glad you did.

I had a battery issue and had to the pull the battery. When I installed the battery (replaced first one after 4 years of flying) it was a pain to get the old one out and the new one in. This is on my RV-7A with dual impulse coupled mags, battery is mounted on the firewall per van's instructions. I even remember almost getting my fingers caught while trying to support the battery through the lightening holes in the battery box.

Handle-with-Battery1.jpg

I really dread taking the bottom cowl off to gain access to getting the battery out. The PC680 batteries are 15 lbs and aren't the easiest to wangle past the mount tubes, hoses and mag harness so I thought about it for a while can spent about 15 minutes in the shop and came up with this.

It worked great. After removing screws and moving some hoses and wires I installed the handle and lifted that battery right out. Installation was a breeze as well.

I tested this on my old PC680 (still held 12V after sitting on the shelf for 12 months) before I used it on a good battery. No issues.
I wouldn't carry the battery around the shop with this but for installation and removal I would use it again.

I hope someone will benefit from this.

Back