What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Rash

omrsramsay

Went to my hangar a couple weeks ago. Noticed a little hangar rash while I was doing my preflight:
2013-11-10RV2damage02.jpg

https://plus.google.com/117453291411123099507/posts/jF5sQnqUczH

Last edited by a moderator:
If you call that a "little" hangar rash, what would you call a "lot of" hangar rash? Looks substantial to me. Hope you can repair it soon.

Holy ****, what happened? I can see one place, but the tail area and the spinner? Crazy for sure. Best of luck finishing the fix.

Relax, my old man is a television repair man, he has an awesome set of tools, we can fix this!

Question

Did the person who did the damage fess up? Seems like the list of potential perps ought to be pretty short.

Since I don't have a flying RV, I don't know how insurance coverage works for experimentals. Does it cover something like this? I realize you'll be making the repairs, but had this happened to my Cessna it would have been expensive. Structural damage would concern me more than the cosmetics.

The perp was whomever drove into the door of my hangar. It could have been anyone, most likely some drunken hillbilly. I estimate my expenses to fix it at about $5000 with the cost of replacement parts being negligible. Maybe a few end ribs. and including my labor as an A&P. If it were a certified aircraft, at least double that. I'd planned on making my own replacement parts, but Van's prices were so low that it would have cost me more to make them. They were delivered to my front porch the day after I ordered them.

Hillbilly

why does everytime something stupid happen it's blamed on us Hillbilly's???
It might have been a drunk accountant, or drunk attorney, or a really mad wife that doesn't like you spending money on airplanes. Us Hillbilly's do some crazy things sometimes, but WE usually fess up.

Sorry to hear about your airplane! That would have made me mad nough to spit some backer in that dudes eye.

why does everytime something stupid happen it's blamed on us Hillbilly's???
It might have been a drunk accountant, or drunk attorney, or a really mad wife that doesn't like you spending money on airplanes. Us Hillbilly's do some crazy things sometimes, but WE usually fess up.

Usually when hillbillies are at fault, there's always at least one or more witness around too... somebody's got to be holding the guy's beer and watching the event unfold. :p

i'm done

Im with cessna 195 on this one. Redneck ground loop:)

And... If it werent' for us Crackers, America's Funniest Home Videos wouldn't have a TV show! Ok... I'm through ranting about people being racist:p

Im with cessna 195 on this one. Redneck ground loop:)

And... If it werent' for us Crackers, America's Funniest Home Videos wouldn't have a TV show! Ok... I'm through ranting about people being racist:p
Yea, how do y'all know that the terms "redneck" or "hillbilly" don't offend me? ;)

Relation to RVs - many times things that might be termed "redneck" behavior occur at the hangar after a good day of flying!

Last edited:
Couldnt have been a drunk hillbilly,we always warn everybody something silly is gonna happen,"hey bubba watch this!"

Boy that would be upsetting. I feel really bad for you. All the humor is great but you have a lot of stuff to fix and a lot of time to invest getting it right. with that much damage you might have damaged the Horizontal spar. I would really be bent...
Hope you get it fixed soon,

Smilin' Jack

Rash?

Sorry to see that....lot of work. For that rash I would buy Cortisone Cream..better buy it by the gallon!:)

Must have been a dead stick ground loop! The spinner was definately not turning when it made contact with what ever hit it. Also, from what I can see of the prop, looks complete. A spinning wood prop would be toothpicks!

So back to the drunken hillbilly..........no offence intended :D

More like a no good worthless bum (enough with the hillbilly comments, let's call him what he is). Hope you find him, but most of all I hope you get her back to flying shape soon.

All the funny comments........

But I've got to tell you situations like this really suck.

I was in a shared hangar and somebody pushed a Cessna 182 elevator into my composite prop. One of seven partners in the airplane did it and no one came forward.

Prop can't be repaired and the company that made it is no longer doing GA props. New prop on order and still waiting. Still no one has come forward. I'm no longer in this hangar. As far as I'm concerned all seven of the people are useless. Ended up having to do an insurance claim and who knows what that's going to do to my premiums.

I feel your pain.

Hangar partners suck!

Back