What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear toughness

tadbol

I'm New Here
Anyone have any experience with the RV10 on somewhat rough to rough grass or gravel runways? I am looking to build one but I am a little hesitant because the gear doesn't look to tough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well I feel somewhat qualified to comment.

We have about 100 hours already on our RV10 and the strip we operate out of is not exactly a good one. In Australia we have rough bush strips that only C206 C208's and the like should operate from, and we would avoid those as much as possible.

We do have a much wider range of country strips than say the bulk of the USA, where there is a better number of bitumen and good grass.

So far no problems. A lot of RV's operate here, but I would say you can not expect to throw it at the ground the same way you can a C206 or C208.

Cheers

DB:cool:

As compared to what airplane?

I don't have much experience landing Pipers, Cessnas, ect.. on rough strips but the RV-10 does great on grass and rougher strips in my opinion. If you compare it to other RV's I would say the gear is as strong or stronger. The nose wheel of the RV-10 is quite strong and has suspension built in.

I never worry about landing on grass strips or dirt strips. I worry more about scratching the pant but that can all be repaired.

Welcome to VAF

GAD, welcome to the force.

The ten has a pretty substantial gear, and the nose gear is a totally different setup than the 6, 7, 8, and 9-----

Go look at the photos of places Scott Schmidt has taken his 10, he has posted many shots of grass strips.

He has a list in this post.

RV-10 Gear

The only failure of an RV-10 landing gear that I am aware of occurred on a paved strip due to an emergancy landing. There is no doubt that you can tear up the gear but I wouldn't worry about the surface. If you tear it up on grass you would probably tear it up on pavement.

If you do get a 10, make sure you put in a beefed up spindle /axle extension. Several 10's have had problems with the small hexagonal part supplied by Van's. The heavy wheel pant fatigues the axle extension. I haven't heard of any problems in those who have exchanged that part for a more substantial replacement. It's no big deal, just one of those things learned over time.

Dr Fred
N515FW
160 hrs.

Matco axle

Does the Matco front axle that was referenced fit the stock wheel that Van's supplies or do you have to change everything out? Thanks!

Does the Matco front axle that was referenced fit the stock wheel that Van's supplies or do you have to change everything out? Thanks!

Once again, I will refer you to a Scott Schmidt thread.

Here is a photo and text overview of the entire setup.

Gear toughness

Thanks for the quick replies, I expected to wait a month before getting a few hits. I am new to the forum.

Someone asked 'compared to what'. We are flying Cessna 206's now but are not expecting to compare an RV10 to a 206. Most of our runways are quite easy for a 206 so it wouldn't have to be as tough but.... My concern is the small wheel diameter on the 10. Our grass runways are almost always a mix of patchy grass and dirt with the grass spots getting quite clumpy making a pretty rough surface. The other problem is animal trails going down the runway. Apparently cattle do not walk straight and they cut a winding groove down the middle that catches the nose wheel as the groove winds back and forth across the center line of the runway. It is something you feel in a 206 but it still tracks straight. The castoring design might not work well if it gets in a 4-5" rut.

Thanks for the tips on wheel axles and the pant extension hex, we will be taking note of these things.

Landing gear colapse

The only failure of an RV-10 landing gear that I am aware of occurred on a paved strip due to an emergancy landing. There is no doubt that you can tear up the gear but I wouldn't worry about the surface. If you tear it up on grass you would probably tear it up on pavement.

A friends gear colapsed during a gentle landing however it had an earlier very hard landing. It was inspected after the hard one and all seemed ok.

The pilot had about 250 hours on type.

My opinion yes a great plane but you cannot treat them like a Cessna for the masses as they will not tolerate it in the landing department. Please remember here in Australia we do not have a sealed strip within a hour or 2 in most parts of AUS.

Chris
VH-ICY

You might be able to install larger tires on the stock rims. Check with Van's and see what they say.

I do know they were able to help out one RV-9 taildragger builder get some custom gear legs made so he could upsize his wheels and tires.

RV- 10 gear

Tadbol, I have a 10 with 200 hrs on it which I operate off of strips like you are talking about. It has also landed on gravel river bars and sand beaches. I installed 206 wheels and brakes on the mains with 800X6 tires, and a bigger fork for the nose wheel with a 700X6 tire. The fork is angled down a little for increased prop clearance. It has 13 inches clearance. It has some aerodynamic mods for better slow speed handling. I used to have C-205 and I'll take the 10 anywhere I took the 205. PM me your e-mail and I will send you some Pics.

Back