What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 plans

Flying8

Would anyone be willing to share any build plans specifically for the throttle quadrant? Don't have a quadrant and would like to install one at annual.. Wanted to ask before I order the plans from vans.

Jordan

Would anyone be willing to share any build plans specifically for the throttle quadrant? Don't have a quadrant and would like to install one at annual.. Wanted to ask before I order the plans from vans.

Jordan

As long as you have sent the paperwork to have the RV-4 in your name, you should be able to create a customer account on our web store and add your airplane, and then see the RV-4 PDF plans there (including the OP plans).

I don't have any plans, per se, but I did install a quadrant during the build of my -4. At the suggestion of builder ahead of me, I used stock RV-8 parts and adapted them to my fuselage. It was very easy. I riveted a short length of angle to the side skin and made some simple brackets on the bulkheads fore and aft of the quadrant. I installed a bunch of nut plates and that was it. The only change I would consider if I were doing it again, would be to move the quadrant as close to the side skin as possible to provide as much cockpit width as possible.

The photo below is not great quality, but shows the basic installation. Feel free to IM me if you need more info.

IMG-0418.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Good luck,

Dean

RV-4 Throttle quadrant....

Jordan

Here's mine several years ago. I have the panels off currently doing some wiring. I'll take some pictures of the support structure and send those along as well.....

Attachments

• img704ac.jpg
    img704ac.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 152
  • img693r.jpg
    img693r.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 144
Many choices

The plans are just a guideline, and I have seen a zillion different set-ups in RV-4's. I built my own quadrant for my -4, and it was fairly easy. The location height and FOR-AFT need to be taken into consideration for comfort, and separation from the canopy latch handle. Also, keeping the knobs from being a catch hazard to your feet when getting in..my smoke button and tube handle on my DIY throttle are bad about that, though I'm used to it..I like the handle/vs knob feel. The bulkhead frame just forward of the throttle quadrant is often used as the retaining bracket for the cable retention, though I found mine needed to be forward to get the correct throw, and I had to fabricate a bracket for that.

Attachments

• front seat.jpg
    front seat.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Quadrant.jpg
    Quadrant.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Throttle.jpg
    Throttle.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Cable attach.jpg
    Cable attach.jpg