What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 wing mod

hangerratt

I'm New Here
I'm selling my RV3 and would like to do the wing mods before it sells. When doing the rear spar mod, is it the bottom inboard skin that is unriveted and pulled back to access the rear spar area? As soon as I get home in the next day or two, I will verify if I have the Type I or Type II wing before ordering the drawings and materials to do the job. I have the wing tanks so the main spar is not going to be to bad to do.

thanks in advance
Eric

Wing Mod

My 3 has fuselage fuel tank, spar mod was accessed from bottom, rear, inboard skin. If yours has wing tanks I think you could access by removing wing tanks to access main spar.

I thought the wing tanks were one way of telling if you had the later wing style, with the mods already designed in.

But, really you should check with the factory and see if this is correct or not.

Wing Tank

Mike, I think you are right, wing tanks on stock 3B kits from Vans have the newer spar. Some 3/3A builders have fabricated wing tanks to replace fuselage tank. I do not believe Vans supports the wing tank mod.

Wing Tank

Ok I will call Vans to check on wing tanks for my 3, I would prefer wing tanks over the fuselage tank!

From "Vans" Regarding Wing Tank Mod Type 1/2 Wing

Sterling Langrell <[email protected]>
12:37 PM (1 hour ago)

We do not have any plans or a kit for wing tanks on the old type 1 or 2 wing. If you were able to get your hands on an old set of plans I expect you could build them but unfortunately we do not offer a kit for this anymore.

Yup... they will not supply old plans, the plans are out there. They have not supplied for years. :)

Last edited:
RV-3 Type 1/2 Wing Tank Plans

Anyone have a set of Type 1/2 Wing Plans with wing fuel tanks? Please contact me if you own a set of these plans.

Back