What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Cabin Cover question

flybill7

Well Known Member
I'm really stumped on this one. I'm trying to fit this (center cabin cover F-782C):

feb10feb081dz7.jpg

into here:

feb10feb082lu7.jpg

It doesn't seem even close to having enough real estate to get it around the fuel line near the fuel selector valve, between the rudder pedals, and underneath the control cables. Has anyone else had this problem? What's the trick to getting it in there? Did anyone simple cut the center cabin cover into two pieces at the bend?

I have a carburated engine so I have the stock aux fuel pump on the firewall.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Bill, if you make a fairly sharp but smooth 90 degree bend at the fuel valve, it should just barely clear on that end. This is with the cheaper Vans valve.

For me, the FW side was a little more problematic in that I also had two large wire bundles that come through the center. In the end, I will let the two wire bundles come down the right edge but outside the cover and then run them into a U shaped relief cut just in front of the fuel pump.

Otherwise, it all seems to fit well but does take a little juggleing to get into place.

BTW, I made no attempt to fit the small cover plate for the prop, throttle, and mixture control cables. I think that if you preinstall that piece (as you have ) it makes it much harder to fit up the center panel. I am planning on making a little two piece cover that I can put on around the cables.

Just my .02, hope it helps. Sorry no pics.

Bill S
7a Ark

Center Cover

Hi Bill

Thinking about future removal I made three mods to mine (7A)

(1) Cut at the forward bend, added a tab and plate nuts so that the bottom piece could be removed for inspections without removing the forward piece.
Keep the plate nuts clear of where any wires will be rounding that bottom corner.

(2) I put a comm antennae under the center floor section and needed a bit more height for the 90 degree wire connector on the antennae so I cut an inspection hole and used the domed wheel cover that comes with the wheel/brake kit as the domed inspection cover.

(3) Made a U shaped slot (towards front) on left side of the vertical section just below heat box enclosure, a large rubber grommet fits in slot for wires to run into center section cover. Makes removal possible without disconnecting wires.

I like the look of that big screen GPS you have alongside the F-782, where did you buy it? :)

Shiney

Thanks Bill & George for the suggestions. I think I'm going to cut it at the bend and connect with screws/nutplates.

Yes, the big screen GPS is sweet but I'm not going to be able to fit it on my panel!

... Bill

Back