What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming O-320 Help Please

sheavers

I have a Lycoming o-320 A2B that was a field overhauled engine and I have been fighting with high oil temperture 220 F and corresponding low oil pressure, as low as 40 PSI. I have been going through the oil system and I changed oil, oil filter, cleaned oil screen, replaced vernatherm and flushed oil cooler. It appears that oil might still be bypassing the oil cooler...? Oil cooler is not getting very warm and very little oil drains out out of the cooler upon removal. Any ideas were to go from here??

Scott
[email protected]

I seem to remember reading about this on the forum somewhere. Who knows where. The hoses were hooked up wrong. Exactly how they were hooked up and what was done to correct it escapes me.

I seem to remember reading about this on the forum somewhere. Who knows where. The hoses were hooked up wrong. Exactly how they were hooked up and what was done to correct it escapes me.

---------------------------------------

Altons post above triggered a memory that in the past I have read about a oil cooler installation where there was an air bubble trapped in part of the cooler and most of the oil bypassed the core.

For those of you that have seen high oil temps in the 200F + range, what oil pressure were you seeing?

Thanks,
Scott

Sounds like your plumbing on the engine is hooked up not correctly. Or you have low oil pressure and a bad oil temp gauge or you have both a bad oil temp gauge and a bad oil pressure gauge.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

One thing to check is the hoses going into your oil cooler.

If the cooler is oriented such that it has a top and bottom hose, the "in" hose needs to be on the bottom.

Back