What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting a washer into tight places

I’m not sure if this has been discussed before but I have found an easy way for me to move washers into very tight narrow spots. I use a long thin piece of (waxed dental floss) and run it through the washer and suspend it in front of the hole Inline with the bolt that will be going on. Once the shaft is completely through the washer, simply let go of one end of the dental floss and it should pull out without much resistance .You may have to use a thin piece of metal to move the washer around into the exact spot but it will remain suspended there until the bolt goes through. This works with multiple washers at one time also. Anyway I’m sure this has been discussed before but I have yet to see it and if not I hope it helps relieve some frustration.

I’ve been sliding washers into tight places by grabbing the edge of the washer with masking tape, sliding the tape in place, and therefore bring the washer along. 60% of the time, it works every time. Lots of dropped washers.

Your idea of floss is much better than mine. Thanks!

Last edited:
Drill rod

I find it handy when stacking a few washers and components (for flight control ends etc) to use a short piece of drill rod (4-5") of the appropriate diameter, rounded on the end for alignment.

Push the rod in from the end opposite the proposed bolt head, adding washers (with a washer wrench) and components as the rod moves forward. When the stack is done, push the rod out with the final bolt and secure.

This is so much easier than using the rough end of a bolt. :)

Tongue depressor & a little drillling

I'm too cheap to buy the washer wrenches. I've had success with a tongue depressor, a little drilling and a bit of work with the band saw.

AF1QipPKjQEnWZGbJ90Ogun2kzgmmnHSH-6UEczFuIvx

EZ-Turn. Stick 'em where you need them, including on your finger. I got this trick from an old airplane mechanic.

Great suggestion

I’m not sure if this has been discussed before but I have found an easy way for me to move washers into very tight narrow spots. I use a long thin piece of (waxed dental floss) and run it through the washer and suspend it in front of the hole Inline with the bolt that will be going on. Once the shaft is completely through the washer, simply let go of one end of the dental floss and it should pull out without much resistance .You may have to use a thin piece of metal to move the washer around into the exact spot but it will remain suspended there until the bolt goes through. This works with multiple washers at one time also. Anyway I’m sure this has been discussed before but I have yet to see it and if not I hope it helps relieve some frustration.

Hey that's a great new idea, I'll try it next time, it usually takes me a few goes and some colourful language but this method sounds good. Thanks for posting!

I have used borrowed washer wrenches and various other methods. I will continue to use them until I can’t, then I will buy my own washer wrenches. :)

Last edited:
Me too :)

ERushing;1485229[B said:
]I'm too cheap[/B] to buy the washer wrenches. I've had success with a tongue depressor, a little drilling and a bit of work with the band saw.

I took some scrap .032" aluminum, drilled a hole, enlarged with step drill to the right diameter, cut a center slice out with the bands, enlarged the hole so it would hold with three point contact (no wobble) and just like the store-bought tool. The only one I made was for the AN3 washers. Easier done than said.

Mainly because I needed to make progress and did not want to wait on a tool order. :p

I use one of those magnets on a telescopic rod, they hold it from falling and then all it needs is a bit of jiggling around.

Back