What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AAARRRRRGGG!! FUEL TANK REMOVAL

Lizard Lips

For reasons I won't discuss, I find it necessary to remove the left fuel tank from my RV-14A (under construction). The wings are "Quick Build" so I did not install the tanks originally myself.

Removed all the screws and the 3 bolts on the bracket at the wing root, however the tank will not budge. I don't want to beat on it with a hammer or use any type force to remove the tank. Is there a "trick" to getting the tank out? Am I missing something? :confused:

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Joe
Longview, Texas

RV-14A 90% Complete, 90% to go
Airon Lightning LS-1 Flying regularlyu
Dues Paid

There are a lot more that just 3 bolts.. remove the wing access plates and look inside, you will see the rest of the mounting bolts going through the spar.

If the RV-14 wings are similar to the RV-7 & 8 you will need to remove several AN-3 bolts that attach the tank to the spar. On the 7/8s you need to remove the wing inspection panels to access these bolts. Get the plans for the tank that show how the tank is attached to the spar and check to see if these exist

There are quite a few bolts on the Z brackets at the rear of the tank. It sounds like those are still in? Maybe a blessing in disguise - on my QB -10 all those bolts were one size too long, with a stack of washers under them. It?s important to inspect the QB guys? work.

It may be implied, but did you remove the bolts behind the tank that hold the tank to the spar web?

On the RV8, there are 7 z-brackets and each bracket has 3 bolts. It seems like you only removed the 3 bolts on the one root z-bracket. The interior 6 z-brackets can be accessed through the access panels.

I removed my right QB tank to make a repair (long story) and it is not difficult. Mine was still on the wing cradle, so the bolts may have been somewhat easier to access. Take your time, use a mirror, and access everything through the wing access panels. Remember to torque the bolts when you put them back. :rolleyes:

TANK REMOVAL

Yep ... all of you guys are exactly correct. I saw all those bolts but did not realize they had to come out to remove the tank. It's not worth it. One of you said it might be a blessing in disguise and I have to agree. I wanted to remove the tank to get better access to the stall warning switch, but I've decided to work through the access hole, small as it is. I had noticed that the wire to the switch had come unplugged. Not a big deal when the wing is on the cradle, but much more difficult when you have to work underneath the wing looking up.

My thanks to all of you for your comments. Seems there's always someone around to help.

Joe
Longview, Texas

Taking off the tank will not improve your access to the stall warn enough to make that worthwhile.

Just a thought ... if you're using an AoA indicator, you won't care about that demon of a stall warning switch.

I want to remove mine, all it does is magically reach out and snag every piece of clothing that comes near it, every rag and towel, etc.

Just a thought ... if you're using an AoA indicator, you won't care about that demon of a stall warning switch.

I want to remove mine, all it does is magically reach out and snag every piece of clothing that comes near it, every rag and towel, etc.

Yep. I took the one off my completed RV-10 after it was flying a while it was such a snag hazard and eye sore,,,,and I didn't even have AOA yet on the plane!

FUEL TANK REMOVAL

I have been considering the same thing. Seems like belts and suspenders to me if you have AOA (which I do). All it's done is rip my shirt a couple of times. I think I will leave the switch unconnected and use the AOA and remove the switch someday. With today's glass panels, the switch/vane concept is old technology and probably not necessary.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Joe
Longview, TX

AOA vs stall warn --> the youngest never ending debate?

I like my stall warn; a little audible that trumps all else. I didn't at all need the little audio card that comes with it on the 8; since it is a discrete G3X input.

Back