What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Equipment list

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am working on the paper work for my airworthiness certification. My DAR would like an equipment list. How detailed have others provided this list? The list for my Piper was extensive, listing such things as cooling fans etc.

I don't think there is any requirement for such a list. That being said, I did list the equipment on the panel just to be clear that they were included in the weight and balance.

Not required and I never did one, nor was I asked to. Talk it over with your DAR and decide how you want to proceed.

Erich

The equipment list is a great place to list make, model and serial numbers, then if there is an A/D or service bulletin on equipment it is easier to check the equipment list than pulling the cowl or a bulkhead.

MEL

Are you sure he is not asking for a minimum equipment list? I was not asked by my DAR but was asked by my CFI when doing my Bi-annual if I had one for my plane. I created one and put it in the POH as I think it is a good idea. States what equipment can be INOP and still be able to fly. Made the list short and very specific.

Last edited:
The equipment list is a great place to list make, model and serial numbers, then if there is an A/D or service bulletin on equipment it is easier to check the equipment list than pulling the cowl or a bulkhead.

Yes to all of the above plus I included the weight and arm of each item on an Excel spreadsheet. Makes for easy record keeping and for making equipment changes.

The basic concept of an Equipment List is to be the configuration report for the Weight and Balance numbers. It allows a format for tracking equipment changes with their + or - weight and arm. This completes the picture for W&B calculations.

It is also a great platform for managing the dates of installation of warrantied equipment for easy tracking.

It is the FAA prefered way of complying with FAR 23.29(b) and a similar reg in FAR 25 for certified aircraft.

It might not the law for experimentals but it is a good idea.

I did one without w&b data. It was never discussed during my aw insp. If I remove something, I will just note the station/weight of the component and recaculate a new w&b.

Include

In the certified word there is equipment that is required for the airplane to meet the type certificate. If possible, include provisions that allow changing items. Example, any propeller of xx dia. to xx dia. that turns between xxx and xx static rpm, Any TSO'ed tire of any size, Any O-320 or O-360 Lycoming.
Generally speaking if the aircraft needs it (engine, brakes) it's listed as required equipment. All other installed equipment is listed as optional, and if it is not included in that optional list, an STC or feild approval is required to install it.
I'm not sure what is required in the armature built world and it sounds like from the other poster that your DAR may be requiring something from you that isn't required.
I would really like to see chapter and verse (SFAR's) on this topic.

My DAR is asking for a simple major equipment list to include just the avionics and other major items installed as part of the weight and balance. No weights or arms required. Since I aready have it handy I plan on providing it. To quote him," [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']It is MIDO check list item number 13. "required and optional equipment listed"". Probably a good idea anyway.[/FONT]

Back