What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR Calgary to Kelowna

rick kornelson

I'm New Here
I am interested in flying VFR from Calgary to Kelowna at the begining of April. Does anybody have any advice? I will be coming from Manitoba.

Rick

Calgary VFR Kelowna

I am interested in flying VFR from Calgary to Kelowna at the begining of April. Does anybody have any advice? I will be coming from Manitoba.

Rick

Hi Rick

1) Follow the Trans Canada highway, and maybe cut a few corners however in April the mountain snowbanks will be deep enough that you don't want to do much walking out if things go bad.

2) Two lane highways are only about 20 feet wide and can be lost from view in mountain valleys when lined with 60+ foot trees, particularly in a low wing. This can cause problems if the highway you are following takes a turn that is hidden by trees or a bluff and there is another road leading off somewhere else. To help catch gross errors I mark the average heading of the straighter highway sections on the map (Banff through Rogers Pass).

3) As you wind your way from Banff to the Rogers Pass your headings will vary up to 180 degrees, to assist navigation add GPS waypoints into your route where the highway makes sharp turns and at highway junctions, take coordinates from map and make them into user waypoints (Lake Louise, the 160 degree switchback east of Golden and the turn into Rodgers Pass etc).

4) If you have never flown close to mountains before you may be nervous because it is hard to judge how far away they are especially above the tree line.

5) Fly when the winds are light and enjoy the beautiful scenery!

Avoid Calgary International if you can as there will be landing fees and they are really not keen on having light aircraft landing there. They've basically booted out most GA planes and forced them to move west to Springbank (CYBW). Springbank is GA friendly, no landing fees and you have a great view of the mountains you are about to cross. CYBW is about 10km west of the Calgary city limits.

Calgary VTA on 119.4 will be helpful and friendly as you cross through their zone and hand you off to Springbank.

There is a guest house right on the airport you may be able to book for an overnight stay.

I'd concur with George's advice here: do your trip though the mountains on a relatively calm day and follow the highway. Mountain turbulence and downdrafts on a nasty day can easily exceed an RVs climb capability. On a smooth day, it will be an awesome trip.

Southern route

Route following the Trans Canada definitely the more picturesque but more likely to get weather in April.
Southern route thru Pincher Creek/Cranbrook/Nelson/Penticton though less picturesque is lower & more likely to get thru.
Definitely go on a low wind day
Suggest you get one of those "mountain flying techniques" books at the pilot shop at least.
Broadcast "traffic advisories" on all tight areas.

Have a great flight.

Back