What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trim bias?

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I spent the afternoon setting up the trim, and I have one question.

Is it best to set the trim tab so it is in trail when the trim servo is mid range, or would it be better to give myself quite a bit more tab down/nose up for when slow on approach on the basis that tab up / nose down is at speed when it is much more powerful?

Thanks.

Elevator Trim Bias

Hi Steve

I see you have RV-4 and the following info applies to RV-6/7 so may not work for you.

Assuming electric trim with limited servo travel, I have found it is best to have the system rigged for more nose up trim, (elevator T/E up/Trim tab T/E down). My neutral point is third light on indicator and I guestimate that I have twice as much nose up trim travel (from neutral) as I do nose down travel.

RV4 Trim

Hi Steve
After flying my 4 for a year my experience is that you will need more nose down trim! When you have someone in the back seat, nose down trim. On take off, some nose down trim @ 120kts 1400' per min. Straight and level @8500' with a passenger, a little nose down trim. Coming down final @ 70kts a little nose up trim.

George/Deven/Dayton - thanks for your input. Not what I was expecting so i am glad I asked. It sounds like I had better suck it and see but be prepared to run out of tab up trim with a heavy person in the back. At least I only have to shorten the rod to get more.

Cheers.

Back