What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Van's LED Map Light

Rick6a

Well Known Member
I bought Van's LED map light a few years ago knowing that somehow, someway I would install it in the future -8 project. It looks just too "military" to pass up. Yesterday I installed it using a mini toggle switch from Spruce. Clearance behind the roll bar structure is close but adequate. Of course, this would be a difficult or even impossible installation if the upper skin were already riveted into place! The Canopy Lock is a NC momentary switch from Spruce too....upgraded from the cheap Radio Shack variety I originally installed after being gently chided by a few members of this forum. :D

I like the light Rick!

Now, as an Ops Engineer, I have to say that your "Canopy Lock" switch is actually a "Canopy Closed" switch...and they are two different things....right? ;) Like the better switch though....

I like the light Rick!

Now, as an Ops Engineer, I have to say that your "Canopy Lock" switch is actually a "Canopy Closed" switch...and they are two different things....right? ;) Like the better switch though....
Sort of. It will only deilluminate the annunciator light when the canopy lock latch is engaged...locked. Actually, I took a tip from the Paul Dye instrument panel design school and cobbed together a modular annunciator panel.....nowhere near as creative as yours.....but still, will provide me with a visual cue of the canopy condition prior to T/O.

5nrwgj.jpg

Last edited:
Cockpit Lights

Another method which will allow access and servicing after forward skin is on is to mount the light and switch on a triangular cover plate mounted over the windshield brace. Drill and tap # 4 or 6 screws on forward angle face to hold cover plate in position.
Sorry still can't figure out how to insert picture.

Tip-Ups..

anybody have pics of where they have mounted the map light in a RV7?
No pics, but if it's a tip-up, the light fits nicely on the stiffener channel that goes from the roll bar to the baggage bulkhead. Just make a small plate to bridge the open section of the channel.

I believe the -7s are essentially the same as the -6s in this area.

gil A

Dimmer

I just finished up making a simple dimmer for these lights a couple of days ago.

After trying a couple of different value potentiometers---pots for short---I found a 10k liner taper to be best. Just wire it in the power leg of the light, switched power line to the center tab, light on the left tab, viewed from the rear, "will give you a turn clockwise to brighten" setup.

My 10 has a red, and a white lite center mounted on celling, push button switches and dimmer pots all on a 3"x4" plate.

I am sure some of you electrical engineer types out there can come up with a better circuit, but this is quick, cheap, light weight and easy.

Last edited:
Cool looking installation, Rick! Very clean.

I wonder, does anyone know of a source to get these lights in a blue/green color? I was thinking of putting in a couple, and I was hoping to have them match the rest of my planned cockpit lights. Right now I can only find these swivel map lights in red and white.

cheers,
mcb

Sort of. It will only deilluminate the annunciator light when the canopy lock latch is engaged...locked. Actually, I took a tip from the Paul Dye instrument panel design school and cobbed together a modular annunciator panel.....nowhere near as creative as yours.....but still, will provide me with a visual cue of the canopy condition prior to T/O.

O.K. I"ll bite. I can fully seat the canopy with out engaging the latch. What completes the circuit to turn off the light? I understand that the roller pushes the switch but what lets it know that the latch is engaged? :confused:

Map light, flood lights too!

Here's mine, map light RV-7 (Tip-Up). The handle will just clear the light once installed. The lights are controlled by toggles on the panel. There are also two of the white LED lights mounted forward under the panel out of site. They flood the pilot and passengers feet area. In a dark cockpit it is actually quite brite.

RV-7-67%20041.JPG

RV-7-67%20049.JPG

RV-7-67%20050.JPG

.....What completes the circuit to turn off the light?....:confused:
The circuit is already complete. The switch is NC or normally closed. By latching/locking the canopy, the frame moves forward just enough to depress the switch thus opening the circuit and turning the light off.

smq4vk.jpg

Last edited:
Back