What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seattle Avionics Charts Out of Date?

bmarvel

Well Known Member
Friend
A curious friend recently noticed something I had never seen before and could not explain. Nor could a very experienced local CFII when we asked him about it.

Len and I both have a Dynon EFIS system in our airplanes and download charts and approach plates to it from Seattle Avionics each 28 days when new data arrives. We also both use ForeFlight on our iPads and download those same charts and approach plates through ForeFlight when updates occur.

Len happened to notice that the date range published on the left side of an approach chart from Seattle Avionics often differed, sometimes by several months, from the date range shown on the exact same chart for the exact same airport when downloaded from ForeFlight. The ForeFlight charts always showed a current date range. He surmised that somehow, Seattle Avionics was publishing out of date charts as being current.

Not so. I contacted both Dynon and Seattle Avionics and learned that Seattle plates are always the current plates, despite the appearance of an out-of-date range shown on them. Seattle simply uses the image of a given plate repeatedly if it has not changed in any way.

Dynon said this has caused some confusion and has asked Seattle to either publish the current date range on the left side or remove it completely. In the interim, rest assured the charts are current regardless of date.

Back