What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 position flap switch from Vans

UrbanM

Group,
Currently have the flaps switch on the left control stick (along with the trim). I would like to move the flaps to the panel for two reasons. I haven't found the flaps controls on the stick to be ideal and I also like giving rides with passengers in the left seat. This might also make it easier to give dual if the need should arise.
I found a flap switch kit on Van's
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1625859170-450-234&browse=airframe&product=fps

Has anyone here installed this kit and care to comment on day to day operation and any installation tips?
Thanks!
Kirk

I've looked hard at that kit from Showplanes. Looks like it will do exactly what I want, but they told me that I'd have to replace my current rocker switch for my flaps, which would require some minor panel modification and changing my current switch to their rather ugly momentary toggle. Maybe someday if I can find a better switch that the one that they supply...in the meantime, my investigation indicates that that Showplanes Flap Positioning System works pretty well.

Group,
Currently have the flaps switch on the left control stick (along with the trim). I would like to move the flaps to the panel for two reasons. I haven't found the flaps controls on the stick to be ideal and I also like giving rides with passengers in the left seat. This might also make it easier to give dual if the need should arise.
I found a flap switch kit on Van's
https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1625859170-450-234&browse=airframe&product=fps

Has anyone here installed this kit and care to comment on day to day operation and any installation tips?
Thanks!
Kirk

If your plane has the stock UP/Down flap system & doesn't have a flap positioning controller setup (like the optional one Vans sells which is a 'ShowPlanes' product, which I have installed on all my planes & like), you can use a 2 way momentary switch such as the standard switch sent in the Vans aircraft kits (pictured). You could get one at any electric supply house. Or if you can't, PM me & I'll mail you one.

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 191
planes & like), you can use a 2 way momentary switch such as the standard switch sent in the Vans aircraft kits (pictured).

Ralpf can you confirm you used a 2 way momentary? Since I have installed the showplanes system on 2 airplanes. It comes with a up (non mom) / and down (mom) switch. So only down is momentary. So when you select the up it will retract all of your flaps at once.

My guess is if you use a Momentary switch in both directions you will have to hold it until the flaps are up.

If you have no other flap controller system, you need a DPDT (on) off (on) switch. That is a double pole double toll switch, with off in the center and momentary on for up and down.

If you have an aftermarket flap controller, follow their instructions.

If you have no other flap controller system, you need a DPDT (on) off (on) switch. That is a double pole double toll switch, with off in the center and momentary on for up and down.

If you have an aftermarket flap controller, follow their instructions.

That's what I have. I asked Bryan at Showplanes about it and he was pretty clear that the switch had to be stationary up, center off, momentary down.

If no flap pre-select installed, I highly recommend an ON-OFF-(ON) switch, which would allow momentary for flaps extending, but positive "up" for flap retraction. During a go around, it is a busy time, and the time it takes to hold the switch up distracts from other chores (CRAM - CLIMB - CLEAN - COOL - CALL). Even in transports, I have watched many an airshow in the case of an unexpected go-around.
Regards,
DAR Gary

Ralpf can you confirm you used a 2 way momentary? Since I have installed the showplanes system on 2 airplanes. It comes with a up (non mom) / and down (mom) switch. So only down is momentary. So when you select the up it will retract all of your flaps at once.

My guess is if you use a Momentary switch in both directions you will have to hold it until the flaps are up.

I have a bag full of these switches which were supplied in the standard Vans airframe kits. Momentary ON - Off - Momentary ON. Bad thing is you have to keep pressure on the toggle to make the flap motor move up or down.

You can use the Momentary ON - OFF - ON switch which as mentioned would make retracting the flaps easier, but you have to remember to flip the switch back to OFF otherwise the flap motor will continue to free wheel till you remember eventually to turn it off.

Your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! I looked at the Vans/Showplanes switch again and was a little disappointed in the fact that it has 3 positions but only for down. I fly at a high DA in the summer and raising the flaps all at once after take off or go around definitely gets my attention. I will probably go with the stock Vans switch and raise the flaps incrementally as I do now.

Thanks for all the responses! I looked at the Vans/Showplanes switch again and was a little disappointed in the fact that it has 3 positions but only for down. I fly at a high DA in the summer and raising the flaps all at once after take off or go around definitely gets my attention. I will probably go with the stock Vans switch and raise the flaps incrementally as I do now.

I agree. And I asked the same question about a year ago. Most people think that since the RV has so much power and gets up to speed quickly that by the time the flaps have retracted you are well above the critical speed. The showplanes system can be retracted in a "manual" fashion if you just put the switch back to the middle position the retract will stop at that position.

For all of the reasons above I designed my own flap controller that works with a rotary switch that I can clearly select what position I like.

Back