What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avidyne IFD440 Garmin430 swap

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
When the manufacturer says - Slide Out - Slide In, you expect that to work.....

A big heads up to save some grief for others.

When you slide your new IFD unit into the Garmin tray - slip a steel rule between the unit and the tray. When the darned thing won't screw in - try again and use the steel rule to help the draw in screw tab over so it positively engages in the old tray.

That was a lot of profanity and a couple of phone calls to realise that these new units are a lot snugger and tighter than the old unit it replaces :D:D

Mine was a true plug 'n play - maybe yours had a burr somewhere either on the radio or the tray that was hanging up?

I did the swap and had no issues with the tray or with existing harness. Everything worked like it should.

I have to agree to your experience being odd Mike - I swapped two of them and have never had a problem getting them in or out....

No issue

Swapped my 430 for the IFD440 with no issues. Plug and play, except for a WAAS antenna upgrade.

I've run across many rack installations that prevented normal install/removal, like you, lots of words hurled that may hurt some folks ears :D

Back