What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Additional tools

Tbarsic

Good afternoon everyone,

I am purchasing additional tools and was wondering.

I am going to purchase the quick build wings and fuselage. With both of the quick builds is the drill press, bench grinder, belt sander and band saw still needed? I am thinking the band saw, and belt sander would be useful come finishing kit with all the fiber glass.

Let me know what you think I need.

Thanks

Well, opinions vary from ?you can never own too many tools? to ?you can always make do?. Personally, I thought the bench grinder/Scotchbrite wheel was indispensable. But I built my QB -10 without any of the other tools mentioned. But for certain, having the right tool makes things go faster.

I can't imagine building a plane without a drill press. However, I make a lot of custom parts. I spent almost a full day in the front yard sanding the cabin top to make it fit. Trimming the door bottoms would be VERY unpleasant without a belt sander. I have bandsaw, but could have gone without, if necessary. Again, if you make a lot of parts, it is very handly.

Most commonly used tool, besides a drill, is the cutoff tool (3" disc).

Larry

Last edited:
I put my deburring wheel in my drill press, which works great.

Not to mention using the drill press for drilling holes.

If you are on the fence, just wait till you get to a point where you start thinking you need a <insert tool>, then get it. No need to buy a tool before you really need it if it?s easy to get from a box store.

Honestly even if you don?t specifically need them for the quick build, those are really helpful tools to have in a workshop.

I consider the Bench grinder, drill press and band saw to all be indispensable. The 3m deburring wheel on the bench grinder is probably my most used bench tool, followed by the bandsaw.

I consider the Bench grinder, drill press and band saw to all be indispensable. The 3m deburring wheel on the bench grinder is probably my most used bench tool, followed by the bandsaw.

I would rather have a 4" belt/5" disk sander to remove cut marks and shape aluminum and use the deburring wheel in the drill press for final dressing. (Never use a grinding wheel to shape aluminum, deburring wherl is OK)

Back