What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GA and COVID-19 Mandates

macrafic

Well Known Member
For those pilots in state?s with Stay-At-Home mandates, Have you gotten any direction on the subject as it regards GA? Any opinion? Any comments from the group? Especially for us non-shared, non-partnership aircraft owners. I can surely see that sharing a plane (flying club, for instance) might be questionable.

I can get into my car (alone), drive to the airport (alone), access my hangar and plane (alone) and fly (alone). I do not come anywhere near anybody else nor do I touch any public surface. Nobody else flies the RV. Much safer for everybody than the allowed outdoor walks, runs, exercise, etc. IMO, I totally comply with the intent and spirit of any mandate mandate I have seen.

Particularly interested, but not limited to, responses from Minnesota pilots.

Thoughts?

Other than being grounded by cruddy weather the last couple of weeks, with a few exceptions one or two days, I've been telecommuting from the hangar and flying (solo) a time or two. Plenty of space and a decent desk/working area, nobody around, and my SO can work from home while I work from there and we don't step all over each other.

Like you said, no contact with anyone else, it's your hangar so no "public" services (except maybe the fuel pump...is AvGas anti-viral? :)), and one couldn't be any *more* socially distanced when flying solo!

In fact, I'm headed there now... :)

Bay Area GA

Here in the San Francisco Bay area, GA is "open," but in reality I doubt there is much flying going on. I get emails from the county where I have my hangar letting me know that the airport office is closed, but the fuel trucks are staffed and I can get fuel.

In reality, the entire state of California is under a shelter in place, and we are only supposed to be out for essential travel. I live effectively directly under the GA departure route out of OAK, and I can tell you that the usual amount of traffic has gone basically to zero. I might see one plane per day, whereas before you could basically walk outside and always see one. In the meantime, my BFR has lapsed, and now I'm effectively grounded until this is over. :(

No direction from here in Tampa, FL. We’re under a stay at home order starting at 10pm tonight and one is already in effect in our neighboring county but it’s main purpose is to enforce social distancing. So bottom line is, other than flight instruction, there isn’t any impact to GA yet.

I deleted my post. Not sure it is a good idea to talk about freedoms, or lack thereof, right now. Might give the wrong people the wrong idea.

MN goes stay-at-home tonight. per the social media post from our FBO @ AXN that means self-serve fuel open, limited aircraft rental or charters at managers discretion, no flight instruction, terminal closed (but we have after hour access pad so restroom, weather computer, etc still available); but they're viewing flying as outdoor recreation so they say go fly! which is my plan if the weather cooperates this weekend.

My opinion is flying is practicing social distancing. It?s my exercise. If folks can go out and walk, I can go out and fly. Until i get pulled over for driving to the airport, I?ll continue going. It?s something i do alone, so no threat of me getting to close to anyone.

My opinion is flying is practicing social distancing. It?s my exercise. If folks can go out and walk, I can go out and fly. Until i get pulled over for driving to the airport, I?ll continue going. It?s something i do alone, so no threat of me getting to close to anyone.

My thoughts exactly? that and riding my motorcycle.

My opinion is flying is practicing social distancing. It’s my exercise. If folks can go out and walk, I can go out and fly. Until i get pulled over for driving to the airport, I’ll continue going. It’s something i do alone, so no threat of me getting to close to anyone.

Me too. Except my hangar is only about 20' from my house.:D And I have my own 500 gallon fuel tank.

Last edited:
Technically they are letting GA fly in our county without limitation. One consideration when engaging in extra activities should be that any accidents will put additional pressure on an already taxed health care system. Whatever we decide to do in these times (flying or using dangerous tools); please consider engaging in an extra level of safety and mid-fullness to stay out of the emergency rooms.

Arrested in Indiana?

I heard a feller was arrested after he landed in Indiana. Was told to stay home and not fly and apparently he went anyway and was promptly arrested upon landing. Is that true? Anyone in Indiana heard of this?
I’m hoping this is a rumor.

Here in Oregon, people are definitely flying. I understand the local flight schools have largely shut down person-to-person flight training, and I've definitely seen less of the Cessnas buzzing around my local airport.

There are specific provisions to "allow" outdoor exercise in OR as long as you can practice social distancing. Last I checked, 2500 feet > 6 feet.

I heard a feller was arrested after he landed in Indiana. Was told to stay home and not fly and apparently he went anyway and was promptly arrested upon landing. Is that true? Anyone in Indiana heard of this?
I?m hoping this is a rumor.

Would like to hear more about. There is only one article about a recent pilot arrest in Indiana, and it has nothing to do with COVID or stay at home orders. :eek:

The problem is going to be when pilot buddies start hanging out together in their hangars, as I saw yesterday...4-5 guys gathered together, doing some flying (pilot + pax/copilot) together, etc. I certainly couldn't say that they didn't all room together and were self-isolating together, but too much of this and the local officials will close the airports, so let's not let that happen. Treat your hangar like your home...you and only those who have been together for the "quarantine" only, would be my advice.

Arrest where?

I asked my Brother where he heard about the arrest and he said it was Ohio, Indiana, or maybe Spain, hahahaha. Nothing like hearsay, especially from a non-aviation brother, hahaha. Well, it was a good story anyway.

Last edited:
In Michgian the stay at home order has an interesting twist.

"The order directs Michiganders to stay in their homes unless they?ve been designated as a critical infrastructure employee by their employer, engaged in an outdoor activity while maintaining social distancing, or performing tasks necessary to the health and safety of themselves or their family, like going to the hospital or grocery store. Executive Order 2020-21 is not a recommendation, it is an order necessary for the health and safety of all Michiganders."

Note the line about engaged in outdoor activity, sounds like heading out to the airport to me. Has been very quiet there, working on my hangar and flying, no one else around.

FAA Relief coming?

Here in the San Francisco Bay area, GA is "open,"...

In the meantime, my BFR has lapsed, and now I'm effectively grounded until this is over. :(

This may interest you. AOPA is working with the FAA on this issue:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...ance-deadlines?utm_source=ft&utm_medium=email

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2020/march/27/faa-eases-pilots-worries

How this applies to "sport aviation" and your insurance is another thing to consider.

Boat ramps are open in the Tampa area

and my flight yesterday showed plenty of folks enjoying the water! I will do another survey tomorrow to make sure the boaters are keeping their distance!:D

Ron

California is a safer at home state :eek:
Last Saturday there were many practicing social distancing from the planet
here is SoCal.
I called an airport office in the Owens Valley this morning to make sure
they were selling fuel at the self service island. They were. I think he thought
I was nuts asking...

(except maybe the fuel pump...)

They're saying "wipe your fuel pump handle for your car". Not nearly as many hands on an aviation fuel pump handle, but I wipe it anyway. My hangar has 4 planes in it, so I gotta move 2 out, get mine out, and then put them back in. I wipe the door knob and my key to get in the hangar, the electric push button to open the hangar door, the other guy's pull rods to pull them out and push em back in, and the flush lever on the toilet. Y'all can laugh if you want, but I'm still doing it. ;)

I saw some AOPA/FAA correspondence the other day that indicated that the FAA is taking action against airport operators that are trying to close the airport’s essential services (fuel, basically) if that airport has taken federal funding. In other words, the FAA is saying that airports need to stay open and provide services - that’s a good thing for us, since it gives us an indication of the government’s direction on opening/closing GA. At least for now.

We are taking taking social distancing and COVID-19 restrictions very seriously, trying to stay home and follow all of the Nevada guidelines - it just makes sene from a risk management standpoint, Fortunately, since our airplanes are in the hangar next to the house (in what is considered a rural county), walking out and going flying keeps us as isolated as if we were still at home. The self serve pumps at our local fuel stops are so far away from anyone else as to keep us as isolated as if we were out hiking in the mountains - so we’re still flying. But you won't see us at any pilot gatherings anywhere, and forget about airpark gatherings until this blows over!

Stay isolated and safe....

Wisconsin

I called the county sheriff to better clarify Wisconsin?s Safer at Home order. Kind of hard to say building an RV is essential travel, and I?d be caught red handed at the hangar without a good excuse. They said the whole law was pretty gray, and that going to the airport is NOT considered essential, even though I?d be alone at the hangar. That said, they also said that they wouldn?t bother me or anyone else in public for that matter, so long as there weren?t large groups. It seems the spirit of the order and the letter of the order are not necessarily in line but I doubt you?d have trouble. Might just want to call your local police or county sheriffs dept just to check what they?d do, better than paying fines.

oqU.jpg

someone is wearing their mask upside down. Will not seal good like thah. Her' on the other hand works well both ways.

The governor of my state (Ohio), as well as our president has emphasized social distancing, not social isolation. They have stated this several times. Flying your airplane solo seems like the most awesome form of social distancing you could find, and I do it as often as I can. We need to wash our hands whenever we touch something not at home, not touch our faces - ever outside of our sanitized environment, and maintain social distance according to the rules. Do this and you won?t catch the contagion. Fly your airplane. Your mental health is important. Aviation, including recreational aviation is an ?essential service? according to the TSA - look it up. At my airport (HAO) the pattern has been full for the last two beautiful weather days.

Only Kinda Stuck

Here at the home drome in CA (Santa Paula, KSZP) we?re on mandatory mostly lockdown at home... no non-essential travel, no non-essential gatherings, 6 foot social distancing, all that jazz. The local flight school is shut down and the maintenance operations and restaurant are too. Fuel pumps are operating and there?s a bit of flying going on. The Gov says we?re not allowed to leave our county, even to go to work and I presume that applies to flying, too, although I?ve not heard that spelled out. It?s pretty quiet around these parts.

Technically they are letting GA fly in our county without limitation. One consideration when engaging in extra activities should be that any accidents will put additional pressure on an already taxed health care system. Whatever we decide to do in these times (flying or using dangerous tools); please consider engaging in an extra level of safety and mid-fullness to stay out of the emergency rooms.[/QUOTE

So, do not do the things that injuries, blood, and pain are the result of.
Hmmm K.....check.
Though one might think ER would enjoy a change of blood n guts over all the people with the pandemic.
Sorry, my wife would say all my tools are dangerous...to me.
Anybody know if avgas is OK in a chainsaw?
Cheers,
R

My business is considered an essential service and I'm still commuting to work by air, so I'm personally quite happy the airports are open for business.

Normally when I'm heading in to work, the only other traffic is the morning SWA 997 (we tend to have our separation down as a daily routine now), so the morning is pretty much unchanged.

It has been very quiet in the afternoons leaving Palo Alto though. There's normally several folks out doing training and the odd PC12 or KA in the line up, but it's pretty much been operation "just us" lately. I got cleared for taxi and take off from my tie down on Friday if that's any indication of just how quiet the airspace is...and how bored the controllers are.

Y'all can laugh if you want, but I'm still doing it. ;)
Not laughing but, since you're going to all that trouble, you might want to wear a surgical mask - the only purpose of which would be to keep you from touching your face with your hands. I've found wiping pump handles to be difficult. I'm thinking next time I'll spray them down with Lysol.

Just got back from a one hour flight in the local area. Rode our motorcycles to and from the airport (42 miles round trip). The roads were packed? so much for the stay at home order. :rolleyes: VFR chatter on the radio was typical Saturday morning, although Tampa approach was pretty quiet. Great to get out of the house!

Handle Vs. Hands

Not laughing but, since you're going to all that trouble, you might want to wear a surgical mask - the only purpose of which would be to keep you from touching your face with your hands. I've found wiping pump handles to be difficult. I'm thinking next time I'll spray them down with Lysol.

It probably makes more sense with wipe your hands with a disinfectant wipe after touching the pump handle than it does to try to wipe the handle itself.

Illinois is under a stay-at-home order. FYI - - Each state that does so issues an executive order with all the details. I must be odd as a review of the order details (magnet on the fridge now) indicates 95% of my activities are allowed. Still feels restrictive. Airport round tables are off for the duration as we are all in the older category.

I will be happy when the respirator masks are available again. Need to do some sand blasting but mostly for the brave checkout clerks in the grocery store.

A long way to go yet.

Kingsville and Kleberg County, Texas are under a stay at home order which everyone seems to be ignoring. On the way to the airport 07R the traffic was light, more trucks than usual. I shot a dozen stop and goes. The wind ain't bad in the morning but picks up to over 20 kts after noon. We have on case in Kleberg County that was imported.

I try to pick up something every day from the local restaurants to help them survive. I think I might wash my hands this week.

I live and fly in Northern Ohio KPCW. I have not flown lately, but was curious what the state had to say about flying, so I called them.

Basically they said there was no restriction on flying under the current state of Ohio order. They did say that keeping the prescribed distance from others and using common sense about touching things like Fueling equipment should apply.

They also made a point to check for notams about fuel availability and other local airport restrictions.

I am fortunate that my 8 is in my own hangar and we have both fuel truck service and self serve 10OLL. The real problem has been busy weather.

Personally I would probably just stay away for a while just to respect the whole idea to keep this under control.

As an aside, this is a big fishing area on Lake Erie. The state says fishing is OK as long as the personal distancing is applied. I can tell you at the State boat ramp near my house it is not. I have pictures of as many a six people in one boat.

I fly solo most of the time and my personality keeps most people away from me anyhow. So not much of a problem.

My understanding of the Wisconsin order is stay at home except for essential work. Being away from home; walking, hiking, biking and other outdoor activities are fine IF one is practicing social distancing. Most businesses are closed so traffic is very light.

I have been slowly transferring my airplane stuff from my current shared hangar to my new hangar. I am totally alone as the owner of the current hangar is in Florida for the winter. When I am at the new hangar organizing the stuff moved from the other hangar I pull the SUV into the hangar and close the door and lock it, no one knows I am there.

I have seen a few airplanes landing and departing but no one really around other than a few cars at hangars.

My plan is to move the airplane sometime this coming week, that assuming I get assistance from the domestic engineer.

Local flight seem doable and maybe fall within gray area of shelter in place but be careful on a cross country landing in new jurisdiction.

From FAA in my inbox this morning
SPECIAL NOTICE.. OPERATORS ARE ADVISED THAT,IN RESPONSE TO THE COVID-19 CRISIS, SOME STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS HAVE IMPLEMENTED QUARANTINE AND SHELTER IN PLACE ORDERS THAT COULD AFFECT DEBOARDING PERSONS UPON ARRIVALS AT AIRPORTS WITHIN THEIR BORDERS. PILOTS AND OPERATORS SHOULD FAMILIARIZE THEMSELVES WITH ANY SUCH ORDERS THAT MAY BE IN EFFECT AT THEIR ARRIVAL AIRPORTS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.

Last edited:
I use my RV...

...to practice Social Distancing! Works better than standing in line at Costco!
:)

-Marc

went up yesterday evening with my son for a .5 hr local flight. I only heard 1 other airplane on the frequency and the airport was deserted; most people must be staying home. Very weird for one of the first 50 degree days in Minnesota.

As for our social distancing, the only other person I got remotely close to on our entire trip was the maintenance guy from the local medical flight team pull their trailer up to the Jet A pump for their helicopter returning home, and they never got closer than 30 ft so I feel we were following recommendations; and it was certainly better for us mentally than staying home.

Email from AOPA 1 April 2020

AOPA

During this time of national emergency caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, air traffic control remains a critical service to ensure safe and efficient operations. However, the virus is also affecting ATC personnel, which has resulted in reduced staffing and even required some facilities to have unplanned closures (ATC zero). In the past month, several busy airports have been affected by tower closures, including Chicago Midway International Airport, McCarran International Airport, and John Wayne Airport-Orange County. In addition, the New York and Indianapolis air route traffic control centers have been impacted, among others.

AOPA and the AOPA Air Safety Institute remind pilots to check state and local orders before flying, and if flying to another state, to check for quarantine and shelter-in-place orders that could have an impact upon landing. If your flight is essential, thorough preflight planning during this dynamic situation is of the utmost importance. If you will be flying into an airport or airspace affected by an ATC facility that has an unplanned closure or that is providing limited services, be prepared for possible delays, airborne holding, diversions, reroutes, and limited support for IFR pop-ups.

You can still fly to these airports and through affected airspace; however, do so only if it is essential. For example, you could complete normally planned flights to an affected airport, but don?t do touch and goes at one. Air carrier, cargo, and other operations are likely to continue but without support from ATC to ensure aircraft sequencing and separation.

Prior to flight:
Conduct a thorough preflight by checking notams for destination, departure, and alternate airports, and also check notams for centers you will be flying through. The FAA provides a website listing ATC facilities affected by COVID-19, but it is updated infrequently and does not replace notams.
The FAA has previously issued temporary flight restrictions when an ATC zero event has occurred. Although this is not always the case, pilots should still ensure they are checking closely for any relevant TFRs along the route of flight.
For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, pilots should check for any known traffic delays. These delays are published on the Air Traffic Control System Command Center website under the products list.
If flying in an area where a tracon or center has limited or curtailed operations, be prepared for potential delays and reroutes. Fuel and plan accordingly for what can be a dynamic situation.
Due to reduced staffing at many ATC facilities and potentially high workload, practice approaches and VFR flight following may not always be available.

Flying into an airport with an unplanned tower closure:
Review procedures for nontowered airport flight operations as published in Advisory Circular 90-66B ahead of the flight. For IFR flights, pilots should note that circling approaches require left-hand turns unless the approach procedure explicitly states otherwise.
Review the Air Safety Institute?s Operations at Airports Safety Spotlight for additional guidance.
Consult the chart supplement for published traffic pattern altitudes, traffic pattern direction, frequencies, and other information relevant to arrival or departure. A notam may be published that supersedes this published information. Be cognizant of airports with noise abatement procedures.
Follow best practices and use the advertised active runway and avoid simultaneous use of crossing or multiple runways. Be extra vigilant when crossing any runway and be sure to communicate when doing so.
Communicate with other aircraft operating at the airport. If any doubt exists, use plain language to ensure safe operations are taking place. Review the Air Safety Institute?s Radio Communications and ATC Safety Spotlight.
Flight training and other nonessential flights should be avoided at these locations. Do not take advantage of the unusual situation to conduct sightseeing operations. Air carrier traffic and other traffic are likely to continue at what is normally a busy and controlled airport, and safety is enhanced by limiting essential operations to arrivals and departures.

Check for the latest news regarding the coronavirus and flight:
AOPA urges members to fly informed and with caution
?ATC zero? affects growing list of facilities
Training Tip: When ATC goes to zero
ATC personnel test positive for coronavirus at two major airports
IFR Fix: When Houston had a (coronavirus) problem
? 2020 AOPA ? 421 Aviation Way Frederick, MD 21701 US
800.872.2672 ? 301.695.2375 Fax

Preference Center ? Unsubscribe From This Email ? www.aopa.org
AOPA

Back