What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WAT Orion 550 Tail light

MS19087

Well Known Member
In an earlier career I was an avionics engineer in the defense industry. We were always chasing noise and ways to mitigate it. Fast forward 30 years when building my -9A and now my -14A, I go to great lengths to insure I don’t introduce noise into any of my systems. So when choosing a lighting system I went with WAT as they have decades of experience with these issues.

WATs Orion series LED lights utilize “linear” power supplies which don’t generate noise or require complicated grounding schemes. I considered other systems which utilized “switching” power supplies - these are characteristically noisy. Systems with switching power supplies have historically been able to be packaged a smaller footprint/volume.

I really wanted a WAT solution for my taillight as the Orion 500 taillight wouldn’t easily fit into the rudder fairing on our RVs. I was very pleased when I learned that WAT had listened to our calls (or at least my call) for a design that worked for us RVers. This weekend I installed the new Orion 550 tail light and it fits nicely - no fiberglass surgery required. I had previously installed the Orion wingtip nav/strobes and now have a complete Orion system legal for night flight.

By the way, I have no affiliation with WAT, just a satisfied customer who appreciates it when vendors listen.

Attachments

• E9A3B706-7DEE-4D1E-8051-7EBB04BD1625.jpg
    E9A3B706-7DEE-4D1E-8051-7EBB04BD1625.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2E3FBD24-069E-474B-BC76-74DF176B3103.jpg
    2E3FBD24-069E-474B-BC76-74DF176B3103.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 109
  • BCB1BDCA-8546-4290-8754-65B4AF0A91C7.jpg
    BCB1BDCA-8546-4290-8754-65B4AF0A91C7.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 119
+1 on aerospace-quality LED lighting design. I have one incandescent bulb in my airplane (and would have none if B&C would update their LR-3 regulator design :)). Whelen Orions are dead quiet, and the Baja Designs landing lights create virtually no noise. Couldn't be happier that I didn't have to chase down noise gremlins!

Dave

Last edited:
In an earlier career I was an avionics engineer in the defense industry. We were always chasing noise and ways to mitigate it. Fast forward 30 years when building my -9A and now my -14A, I go to great lengths to insure I don’t introduce noise into any of my systems. So when choosing a lighting system I went with WAT as they have decades of experience with these issues.

WATs Orion series LED lights utilize “linear” power supplies which don’t generate noise or require complicated grounding schemes. I considered other systems which utilized “switching” power supplies - these are characteristically noisy. Systems with switching power supplies have historically been able to be packaged a smaller footprint/volume.

I really wanted a WAT solution for my taillight as the Orion 500 taillight wouldn’t easily fit into the rudder fairing on our RVs. I was very pleased when I learned that WAT had listened to our calls (or at least my call) for a design that worked for us RVers. This weekend I installed the new Orion 550 tail light and it fits nicely - no fiberglass surgery required. I had previously installed the Orion wingtip nav/strobes and now have a complete Orion system legal for night flight.

By the way, I have no affiliation with WAT, just a satisfied customer who appreciates it when vendors listen.

Thank you for your business Mark!

Back