What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailing edge of wing scraping top of flap

TryChick

Not sure the best way to fix this on our RV-10. We’ve noticed we have some scraping on the left flap where it slides under the trailing edge of the wing. I uploaded two images: one where I marked all the places it is scraping with blue tape and another of a closeup of one of the worst spots. It doesn’t look like it’s the shop head side of the rivet that is doing the scraping since the scraped areas are pretty wide.

I contacted Vans for advice and this is what they suggested:

“I think if you smooth off the lower surface of the trailing edge of the skin at an oblique angle with a light file and then sand it smooth this may help, along with smoothing the light gouges in the flap. This collision is not that severe so small modifications might help here.

Depending on when you plan to paint the aircraft, it may be wise to fly it for a while and allow the areas to “match” each other before painting. This way you will probably reduce the damage to the paintwork.

Radical remedies like using a small hammer to tap the flaps at the collision points and removing rivets along the top skins and then re riveting may be too impactful initially but may be an option if the first ideas don’t help.”

I did sand away the underside of that overlapping edge at an angle and sanded out the scrapes on the flap but I’m concerned that even if this fixes it it will scrape after painting since the paint will build up the surface of the flap enough so that it may touch again. We did buy some of the Paint Protection Film to put on the underside of trailing edge but that will also make the fit tighter. We will probably take it to get painted in January

Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• A10F23B7-F577-4335-9994-2B3BFD34E27A.jpg
    A10F23B7-F577-4335-9994-2B3BFD34E27A.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 5C10F498-2DAB-46AB-A7EE-3262719A7815.jpg
    5C10F498-2DAB-46AB-A7EE-3262719A7815.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
It’s very normal for the wing skin to scratch the flap - it is almost by design, in order to get a good fit. This is why so many people use flap leading edge tape - to protect their paint. Unfortunately, the clear protective tape has a lifetime - it yellows and cracks, and eventually has to be replaced. Our RV’s now all have stainless steel tape on the leading edge of the flap - disappears when the flaps are up, appears when the flaps are down, but it fits right in to the look of the airplane in my opinion.

Many put the plastic tape underneath the wing skin, but in my experience, if you live in an environment with gritty dirt, is that the tape will eventually pick up grit and then scratch the paint on the flap. I have seen that result on a number of planes, but many say they have no problem with it done that way.

In any case, the light scratching doesn’t affect the life of the part, in my opinion - the wear just isn’t that deep.

Paul

How wide is your tape? I see McMaster has it in widths from 1/4” to 12”.

These scratches were deep enough that 800 grit sandpaper wasn’t coarse enough to remove the damage—I had to go to 400 grit and then work my way up to 2000 and there are still a few spots where I can see scratches.

Last edited:
How wide is your tape? I see McMaster has it in widths from 1/4” to 12”.

These scratches were deep enough that 800 grit sandpaper wasn’t coarse enough to remove the damage—I had to go to 400 grit and then work my way up to 2000 and there are still a few spots where I can see scratches.

You use a different width for different models. Put your flaps full up, and put a strip of tape up against the trailing edge of the wing skin. Lower the flaps, and measure from the tape to the leading edge of the flap (you’ll have to push it down to get all the way to the leading edge). That’s the with tape you need! Mine has always been 3”, but check yours!

Also - be very careful with the SS tape - use gloves, as it is very sharp and will cut like a razor blade.

Last edited:
UMHW tape on the underside of the skin will fix this issue and be hidden. You can buy this from Vans for this purpose or Amazon. This is normal and I believe even called out in the plans.

This topic has been covered many times.

SS tape is great, but it is a razor blade if the edge peels up a little, and it will. It won't harm your plane, but the blood stains are annoying.

UHMW tape WILL yellow and crack and is a real pain to remove.

Paint protection film, conveniently and inexpensively available HERE will last at least 10 years with no yellowing, and it's removeable. Use it anywhere that abrasion is a problem (except your prop). If it has a downside, and I think this is a very minor thing, it may cause a slight drag on the flap skins in warm weather. Waxing it usually cures that issue.

SS tape is great, but it is a razor blade if the edge peels up a little, and it will. It won't harm your plane, but the blood stains are annoying.

Interesting that we’ve had different experiences with it peeling up Vince - I have it on all three RV’s, and have never seen it happen - and the RV-6 is 31 years old.....might depend on where you get it (and I have no idea where Mike Seager got it when he put it on the -6....).

No dispute with you on the paint protective film you sell - I haven’t tried it, but know folks are happier with it than the UHMW, which I will never use again!

Paul

I walked the parking areas at snf specifically looking at rv-10’s. All but one that I saw either had the clear tape on front of the flap, or scratches. My guess is that the one that did t probably had it on the underside of the trailing edge.

Interesting that we’ve had different experiences with it peeling up Vince - I have it on all three RV’s, and have never seen it happen - and the RV-6 is 31 years old.....might depend on where you get it (and I have no idea where Mike Seager got it when he put it on the -6....).

No dispute with you on the paint protective film you sell - I haven’t tried it, but know folks are happier with it than the UHMW, which I will never use again!

Paul

My RV-4 (1994 edition) still has the SS tape... with one corner popped up a bit. I'm extra careful.

When your SS tape pops loose, you'll know it from the blood on the wing skins. :D

I have the stainless steel tape on my RV-4 the past 32 years. Looks good and lasts a long time. Be very careful with application to make sure the edges line up parallel with your flap. Once applied, the adhesive will not separate easily to correct a misalignment.

Back