-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcone1381 View Post
1.5 million to avoid 77 potential liability claims seems like a good deal to me.

It seems to me like Superior would have a host of liability issues at hand if you flew and it broke. The 1.5 million would be money well spent. Business guys know this. I bet they don't have the money....or the Chinese who one Superior wont part with it....yet.
Liable for what? I have never heard of any manufacturer of EXPERIMENTAL airplane components being sued successfully. I thought that was the whole point from an experimental parts manufacturer perspective and why the experimental engines are much cheaper.

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 04-17-2021, 10:12 AM

So as an experimental can someone legally fly an AD tagged power plant? If so it’s up to the owner to determine if they want to entertain that risk and if it affects insurability. Obviously resale value is affected. Sorry for those impacted this sucks.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatsch View Post
Liable for what? I have never heard of any manufacturer of EXPERIMENTAL airplane components being sued successfully. I thought that was the whole point from an experimental parts manufacturer perspective and why the experimental engines are much cheaper.

Oliver
I'm not the one claiming they manufactured bad cranks....its the FAA. Now they wont even communicate with you guys about it. Will your DAR deem your project as airworthy with a known AD on the crank? It just seems to me like a court of law with a jury of my peers would be sympathetic at some point in time. But I am sure your right....I seldom am.

Last edited by Bcone1381 : 04-17-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:26 PM

If this went to court, wouldn’t their liability insurance company be defending them? And wouldn’t they rather settle out of court than risk losing a lot more in court or a whole lot more if one of these cranks causes a crash and injury or death? I don’t have one of these engines but am just wondering.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:18 PM

This event somewhat parallels the XP-400 crank problem that Superior had a few years ago.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:48 AM

Default update

I went by the Superior booth and talked to Bill Ross and the other guys from Superior. They once again assured me that they are just waiting on the FAA to approve the AMOC. Bill recommended that I remove my crank and he would send me a shipping box to get it to them. He said that would get me in line and I should get my crank back within two weeks after the AMOC is approved.
Thats not happening.
I told him I had no interest in tearing down my engine until they assured me the AMOC is approved.
Standing by to stand by....
Old 04-19-2021, 02:41 PM

Based on the below post, I withdraw my comment and await to see how this situation unfolds. Hopefully, Superior will do their best to make it right.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level & auto-trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!

Last edited by Tankerpilot75 : 04-20-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:35 PM

I delivered my engine to Tulsa last Thursday, discussed the issues with Rhonda, Monty and Allen and had lunch with Monty and Allen... good times.

First I want to say that there seems to be some erroneous information being spread in this thread. It has been stated that 77 experimental crankshafts were affected; this is somewhat misleading. There are 192 crankshafts affected; out of those, 77 are in experimental aircraft. Also, there is the opinion that the AMOC will render the crankshaft exempt from further refurbishment. I discussed that issue with Monty Barrett. He informed me that the AMOC removes the same amount of material as any other crank rebuild. Lycoming and Superior crankshafts can usually go through three stages of rebuilding before they can no longer be refurbished. He stated that after going through the AMOC, the crank could still be refurbished afterwards two more times before it was below tolerance. I can't quote specs here... but I do put my trust in my engine builder, especially if it's a Barrett engine. I have been informed that Superior has stated that they intend pay to refurbish the crankshafts and replace any parts required in the course of the rebuild; they have authorized the release of said parts to engine rebuilders. I've also been recently been informed by Rhonda that she has been in touch with Bill Ross recently. He was supposed to speak with SAP President Keith Chatten today to get an update on the situation. I'm told Keith is the person working with the FAA regarding the AMOC. None of this information can be considered ironclad until the FAA approves the AMOC; this may be why Superior has been tight-lipped about the situation. When I get further information I will share it here.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage at hangar; currently working on finishing canopy & wing tips.
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?

Last edited by goatflieg : 04-19-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:01 PM

Thank you for your update from Barrett. The numbers were from the FAA
but the number of experimental engines remain the same at 77.

I also am waiting for the AMOC to be approved before I remove the engine. Great news on the rebuild tolerances of the crank..
APRS/ WB4JKY
Retired Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
CE500, LRJT, HS25, C650, SBJT, CL60
Hunt Aviation, LLC.
Pilot Service, IPC's Biennials.
Comm Glider