What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What size trailer for Empennage?

FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
I'm doing the build class at Synergy South and need to rent a trailer to get the Empennage home. Will the 5x8 work (Inside dimensions: 8' x 4'8" x 5'4" (LxWxH)) or do I need the 6x12 (11'7" x 6' x 5'5")?

For the 12, it's a 5 day class including the tailcone. Are the HS and VS attached at that point, or does it all need to be assembled later?

Honestly, if it's all assembled I don't think it'll fit in either trailer since the HS is 8' wide.

No

I didn’t do the Synergy class but the stab will not be attached to the tail one, nor the vertical fin….
Regards,

Emp transport

I agree with Pierre, not likely attached and to be honest I wouldn’t try moving with the stabilizers attached any.
It’s to wide as you mentioned, it is much to vulnerable to damage and you’ll remove and install the stabilator at least a couple of times during the build.
Also, the Vertical Stab was too tall to fit into my basement.

I have built an 8' wide x 12' long to tow my RV 12 home when mtc. is needed...your bed needs to be at least 84" wide to accommodate width of MLG without wheel pants, no problem towing with horizontal and vertical installed.

I have built an 8' wide x 12' long to tow my RV 12 home when mtc. is needed...your bed needs to be at least 84" wide to accommodate width of MLG without wheel pants, no problem towing with horizontal and vertical installed.

We're talking about the Empennage only, not a completed aircraft.

I've moved an RV-10 rear fuselage, a set of RV-10 wings, and all of the other flying surfaces for the -10 with an open 4'x8' trailer with few fixtures added to ease the move. I think a similar landscape trailer from Northern Tool (or equivalent) would be fine for the tailcone and empennage of an RV-12.

You could buy a trailer, move the project, and either could keep the handy trailer or sell it at a discount and probably come out ahead.

Bugs!?

Not a lot of bugs in the wake of the tow vehicle, but you've gotta go with what makes you comfortable. Or at least the OP does.

Not a lot of bugs 🐜 in the wa…What??
We’re in the South Y’all!
Bugs are what hold everything too-getha here 😉
And Rain, lots of rain…

An alternative

If you do a full build at Synergy Air South instead, you can just fly your airplane home when it's done. Just a thought.

Back