What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim

rwayne

Well Known Member
How much permanent rudder trim should I expect to add? I have a 3 horizontal x7" vertical wedge (bent metal) 1" raised from the rudder trailing edge and it's still not enough. (The ball was nearly completely out to the right.) The plane flies true if I hold a little right rudder pressure.

rudder trim

have someone fly along with another plane and check the nose wheel. if it isn't straight in flight, trim will be out. do you have a heavy wing? check gear leg fairings for straightness. The nose wheel and fairing really change trim on RV's

i just completed a 10 and right wing was heavy so i added a trim tab to the bottom of one aileron which corrected the heavy wing. rudder is near perfect (needs a little left rudder).

rudder trim

Thanks.
I assume you mean rudder trim may be out if the nosewheel is not pointing in the same direction as the flight path? The plane does fly straigtht and level with some right rudder pressure but the right wing does want to drop slowing if the ball is allowed to remain to the right of center.
I had thought about the fairings as well. They do look straight but I have not ran strings since installation.
I appreciate your input on this.

The -10's don't have an offset fin....

....so just about all of them yaw left. Mine has an 8" wedge of 10 degree wood, about 1 1/4" wide to get the ball back to center.

The airplane seems to be fuel sensitive with tanks extending pretty far from center. I transfer back 'n forth about every half hour to balance laterally.

Best,

Rudder trim (electric) like Vic's

With my whopping 55 hrs or so on the RV-10, I really like the electric rudder trim like Vic developed. Ours is a little ugly since it was added after the rudder was finished. Would recommend adding it during rudder construction.

I may go back and add it to my 6A next.

Back