What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My breaker panel created with DecalPro

Camillo

Well Known Member
Here is finally my breaker switch and switch panel created with DecalPro system.
Some imperfections are visible through the high definition images (I hope the 800X600 downgrade hides them), but the overall output looks good....

27ysf20.jpg

Here a close up of the left part of the panel (power switches and breakers, avionics and lights):

24oyu06.jpg

And finally the right part:

2s0e62r.jpg

Last edited:
Looks very nice, good job. Are you, or did you already, clear-coat over the decals? If so, what clearcoat did you use?

No. I did not use clear-coat nor plan to do it.

As far I understood, one of the benefits from using DecalPro is not being obliged to apply a clearcoat, thus allowing further expansions with minor extra-work.

Any lessons learned with DecalPro?

In a few months I will be doing the same. Did you learn anything using it that you could share with the group? Any certain supplies you ordered, or techniques you found to help out?

Thanks.

In a few months I will be doing the same. Did you learn anything using it that you could share with the group? Any certain supplies you ordered, or techniques you found to help out?

Thanks.

Try doing a search, there is some good info on this forum about the Decal Pro. You also might want to read my Panel Page as there are some tips on there as well.

No. I did not use clear-coat nor plan to do it.

Camillo, how do you plan for these to hold up if you don't use a clear coat finish? I have the DecalPro system, and labeled my entire panel. I found that they would scratch off with the slightest touch! Clear coat seems to be a must.

In my case, I had powder coated the panel, and the clear coat didn't stick. I had used Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover. I had to strip everything and start over. I now plan to sand the powder coat to take away any shiny surface. Then I will start over with all the labels, and use a polyurethatne clear coating. In my testing, the poly holds up much better. It will still scratch, but you really have to dig into to make it happen.

Anyway, that is what happened to me.

Camillo, how do you plan for these to hold up if you don't use a clear coat finish? I have the DecalPro system, and labeled my entire panel. I found that they would scratch off with the slightest touch! Clear coat seems to be a must.

Anyway, that is what happened to me.

For my plane, I made decal sheets on the computer. I sprayed a clear coat over the entire decal sheet before cutting and applying to the panel. They've stood up quite well for about four years now.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Decal Pro

I'm glad someone else got the DecalPro system to work. I tried all the advise from all the websites and no luck. I was not impressed.

I'm glad someone else got the DecalPro system to work. I tried all the advise from all the websites and no luck. I was not impressed.
You are right, it is a pain in the rump. It took me about eight hours to figure it out and even then I messed up a number of labels.

My problem was that I used a textured paint on my panel, thus labels/stickers wouldn't work for me. The Decal Pro worked great, once I figured it out.

For my plane, I made decal sheets on the computer. I sprayed a clear coat over the entire decal sheet before cutting and applying to the panel. They've stood up quite well for about four years now.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I used a similar process. I printed my labels on my inkjet printer onto a full page clear label from Office Depot. I used TurboCad to lay out the labels, text and any lines or graphics I wanted. After a few minutes drying time I sprayed a light coat of satin polyurethane over the sheet of labels to make them moisture proof. After drying I cut the labels out with scissors and applied to my panel. Of course this process requires a light colored smooth panel which will allow the darker colored lettering to stand out and the labels to stick. 1 1/2 years later they are holding up fine and have not had to replace any. Actually I did replace a couple because I wanted to change the wording and that was very easy.

Inkjet or laser ...?

I used a similar process. I printed my labels on my inkjet printer onto a full page clear label from Office Depot...

Did you mis-type or did you actually use an INKJET printer? I didn't think that was possible; that a LASER printer is required for the process.

I bought the system and have yet to use it. I did buy an inexpensive color laser printer because the system insisted that it had to be a laser and not inkjet printer.

Trying my hand at making labels is on my list of stuff yet to do ...

Did you mis-type or did you actually use an INKJET printer? I didn't think that was possible; that a LASER printer is required for the process.

I bought the system and have yet to use it. I did buy an inexpensive color laser printer because the system insisted that it had to be a laser and not inkjet printer.

Trying my hand at making labels is on my list of stuff yet to do ...
Don,

Me thinks he used the labels he printed on his ink-jet and did not run them through the DecalPro.

The DecalPro does require a laser printer as the foil only adheres to the toner used by the laser printer.

Yes, I used an inkjet printer and off the shelf page size clear label material from Office Depot. I didn't use DecalPro but rather just a basic CAD program, you could also use MS Word I suppose or any application that lets you layout text and print it. As mentioned earlier, unlike DecalPro this process does require a light colored panel since the printed labels will have dark lettering, I suppose the process could work on dark colored panels provided you can find a source for white ink ;) (good luck).

Last edited:
Got it

OK, got it. Thanks. I figured I'd missed something obvious in the telling of the tales ...

Decal Pro clear coated

Finished panel with clear coat.

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

Like the rest of you it took some patience to get it right.
Labeling the knobs was more of an experiment and not really necessary.
Those are clear coated too.

Zehr Gut, Ernst!

Does that bottom panel strip come with the 10 kit? I wonder if it could be adapted to the other kits....

I appears you found the source for white toner.

I applied labels on a smooth surface (no powder coating) and found it is very difficult to remove labels (I experienced this when I had to remove some label during the process).

Instructions MUST be followed letter by letter.
The most delicate fase is the Mylar carrier bonding and cutting, in my opinion.

No problem in the first step: print your label WITH the 10 points border very close to the print on the chemical blue sheet with a LASER printer. No need in my case to use alcohol: just be careful not to touch the sheet on the glossy surface (the one which will receive print).

No problem in the second step: apply the colour or the clear glossy sheet. Just be careful to remove any excess of colour with the supplied 3M tape. If you do not use the tape, the Mylar will not stick properly.

No problem in the alcohol step: clean both the print and the Mylar carrier and apply the wet paper towel to carry electrons to Mylar.

Then, it comes the very delicate step.
1) Put the cleaned side of the Mylar on the print and overlap a piece of it in order to fold it over the plexi board. I used a paper sheet already bent to help the Mylar bending properly. Then when holding the most fore part of the board/Mylar/print with your left hand, you raise the paper sheet with the right hand to verify that the Mylar and the print are aligned and that the Mylar did not wrinkle. Then, you pass it in the laminator twice.
2) Now, you have the Mylar bond to the print, but everything is lightly sticked to the board. You must be very careful to hold the printed part of the assembly very thight when removing the print (with the Mylar) from the board. The aim is to avoid that the Mylar carrier disconnects from the 10 points border of the print. If this happens, when you will place the print in the water bath, print will remain sticked to the chemical paper and not to the Mylar. I found useful overlapping a second board on the print and holding both boards very tight during the cutting phase. That way scissors force can't pass through and wrinkle the Mylar where it sticks to the 10 points border.
It may happen that in some parts the border will be affected. No problem. once all the print will be cropped, just overlap the said paper sheet and pass everything again in the laminator: the Mylar will stick again over the hole border.

Now, if you have in your hands a well border-sticked print, you are in the descent phase of the process. Just place the print in the water and start the counter. It is important to remember which is the direction of the curl (you saw this when heating the print in the very first step of the process), because the print will round on itself and if the direction is wrong, the Mylar carrier will stretch and disconnect from the blue chemical parer and since the printed part will no longer be in contact with the Mylar, it will not stick on it.

At the end, I found useful to place the decal on the panel and then stick a piece of 3M tape on one border. Check again for alignment, raise the decal bending the tape on itself, covering the panel with paper towel, spray on the decal the Sulky spray, remove the paper towel and then bonding the decal.

Let me know if something was not clear. If you understand the process, it is not difficult. If you don't understand it, you may waste all of the supplied foils without applying a decal.

Ciao.
Camilo

Thank Camillo

If only I could communicate as well in Italian. I understood your write up very well. The panel looked great. :)

Bottom panel

Chip Freitag,

The bottom panel could certainly be adapted to another side by side plane.
It is layed up over a piece of flat board and trimmed to fit.
Apart from the curved look it also picks up the step from the top panel for a flush transition. Another advantage is the now removable panel piece can be worked on in a clean environment and flat on a table for Decal application.

The white on the knobs is actually black toner with a white Decal Pro foil applied.

Thank-you, Wendell!
Good luck with yours and feel free to ask if you will have any doubt...
Ciao.
Camillo

Back