What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Electrical Kit

rwayne

Well Known Member
I have just started designing my panel and laying out the electrical. For those that used the Vans electrical kit, was it helpful? Thanks!

I purchased Van's electrical kit thinking I could use most of it, even tho I designed my own panel and electrical layout (RV-6A).

In reality, I did not use most of it. If you follow Van's plans exactly, use Van's panel design exactly, then the wiring kit may be fine.

I have just started designing my panel and laying out the electrical. For those that used the Vans electrical kit, was it helpful? Thanks!

I'm not at that point yet, but my impression is that unless you implement exactly like Van's, you'll be doing quite a bit of rework.

If you are designing a custom panel, I would recommend rolling your own. I'm also a fan of Vertical Power, which makes wiring a little easier too.

For what it is worth. I purchased and used the Vans Wiring kit as a starting point for the system. The end system is full IFR Dual alternator.

I used all the harness and hardware in the kit and added about the same amount. The most time saving part was the all the high current wires are preformed and crimped, plus all the boots, solenoids and misc. parts do not have to be hunted for.

Eric Gohr,

FWF, baffling. Panel / Wiring 90% complete. The glass screens look cool to a VOR / ADF trained pilot.

The best thing about Van's wiring kit is the instructions...lots of good information to see. Other than that, unless you're building the same configuration as they did...it's a pick-a-part kit, but I went way past Van's idea of what should be installed equipment so your mileage may vary.

Back